PDA

View Full Version : Help With Custom Mauser

jma1965
05-04-2011, 08:08 AM
I bought a 98 Mauser about 10 years ago that at some time was re-barreled in 35 Ackley Mag Improved. It has "RR Hoffman" stamped in the barrel. Anyone know who that may be ?

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r223/jma2006_bucket/SDC10970.jpg

stubshaft
05-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Probably the name of the gunsmith who rebarrelled it. If it had been stamped "Hoffman Arms" with an Ardmore or Texas addy then it would be worth it's weight in gold.

curiousgeorge
05-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if this was somehow connected to the old "Hoffman Arms Co." of Cleveland, OH. I doubt it, but maybe a relative?

How does it shoot?

jma1965
05-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if this was somehow connected to the old "Hoffman Arms Co." of Cleveland, OH. I doubt it, but maybe a relative?

How does it shoot?

accuracy is fine but I have a headache after three shots.....

Four Fingers of Death
05-07-2011, 05:25 AM
Well, lead sled on the range, and three shots out big game hunting, the hunt is over!

mstarling
05-07-2011, 11:53 AM
If you're getting headaches after 3 rounds I would make two suggestions:

1) Loosen up on the cheek weld ... if your head is glued to the stock the sudden motion or the rifle when it is fired is being transfered to your head. and

2) Arrange a "standing rest" rather than shoot from the bench. If you shoot in the standing position, your body can more easily roll with the recoil acting like a shock absorber.

These are "tricks" I have learned from shooting really big bore like the .416 Rigby (5600 pfe), the .458 AR (6200 pfe), and the .470 Nitro Express (5600 pfe). The 35 Ackley Improved doesn't kick anywhere near as hard as the big boys.

If these do not help, you are probably a bit sensitive to recoil and need to either not shoot the rifle or add some weight to it ... like mercury recoil reducers in the stock.

Four Fingers of Death
05-08-2011, 04:42 AM
I'd be careful playing with the cheekweld, like as not to end up with a big smack in the chops.

One thing to be very careful with when bench sighting is the 'attitude' of your back in relation to the rifle. If the bench is too low (as most are for me), you will be bent over the gun and your spine will take more than it's fair share of recoil as it compacts under the shock of recoil. Your shoulder instead of rolling back with the recoil, is sort of pushed down instead and squashed into the trunk of your body. Better to have it so the gun pushes you back and you roll out of the way, instead of compressing and absorbing all of the recoil.

The standing positon has a lot to recommend it, even if you buy / make a set of crossed sticks to steady the gun.

Once the gun is sighted in and loads worked out, there is really no reason to shoot of the bench seated. Not good practice for hunting and just plain hurts.

missionary5155
05-08-2011, 04:53 AM
Good morning
I can also recommend sitting behind cross sticks. Once you get the hang of it acuracy is near as good as benched and the uper body has the mobility to move with recoil. This is how I shoot all my heavy recoil firespitters plus most the others just because I enjoy the position.

longhorn
05-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Might ask about Hoffman over on the double gun forum in the section on single barreled sporting rifles. Someone there will probably know the name.

jsizemore
05-10-2011, 02:55 PM
If your using it for shooting dangerous game and you have a headache after hunting then that means your still alive and it was a good hunt. Pain is your friend.

Three44s
05-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Is your rifle chambered for a .375 H&H length variant or the standard magnum length case like a .358 Norma case?

I see two lengths mentioned is why I asked.

I have shot the .358 Norma and to my surprise it was very nice!! It was in a M70 Win pre 64 and it was grand even from a bench!

So like others have said .......... modify your rest arrangements ........... sit differently or stand if necessary ...........

The stock and how it fits you are likely issues as well.

If it's a 2.8" case .......... Ie a .375 H&H length then prudent downloading should help as well. You'll have some fun getting published data.

But I'd hang in there ...........with today's bullets, the pumped up "35's" are most capable and the rewards large if you prevail!!

And like jsizemore said: The headache means you survived!

............. that can't be bad?

Three 44s

jma1965
05-15-2011, 09:34 PM
please forgive my poor writing, i had surgery on my back on thursday and i am still living on percocets, the cartridge measurements are really close to the 358 norma.

leadman
05-17-2011, 10:33 PM
I used to get headaches when shooting heavy recoiling rifles. Found out I have degenerative disc disease in my neck. Might want to get your neck checked if you already have back problems.