PDA

View Full Version : I bought a Lee 452-255-rf, What now?

Leadmelter
05-03-2011, 09:11 PM
I got above mentioned mold from Midway on sale. I have been a Lyman/RCBS user for years. This is my first use of a Lee mold. What can use to lube the mold? Heating the mold? Casting speed?
All information will help.
Thanks!

Gerry

btroj
05-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Get Bullplate. Use it.
As for speed, etc it is just like using any other mould. It will let you know when you find the right rhythm as it will start spitting out good bullets.
Clean it well and don't be surprised if it needs a few casting cycles to start giving constant good bullets. I find this is common amongst all Al moulds.
That is a great 45 Colt bullet.

Enjoy it.

geargnasher
05-03-2011, 09:26 PM
+1 to all, Brad. I wore out a 454-255-RF and a 452-255-RF, should have a new two-banger on the brown truck as we speak, I guess I missed the Midway sale, I was shopping last minute for the April sale specials.

Clean, clean clean. Soak in mineral spirits or Kroil overnight, it's unbelievable how much cutting oil gets forced into the mould cavity pores. Degrease like crazy, preheat the mould and cast fast. Sadly, I have a literal pile of .45 caliber moulds including a $120 custom design of my own, and the Lee still is the most accurate single boolit design in all my guns, that is until the alignment pins finally wear and I start getting "stepped" noses on my boolits.

I crimp in the second lube groove for everything except the toggle-linkers, they won't quite feed unless it's seated a tad deeper, so I crimp in the front groove and reduce the powder a grain for those.

Gear

btroj
05-03-2011, 09:41 PM
I have never tried it in my 1911. I have been using my group buy "Cayoots kinda heavy" bullet in the 45 Colt more. That thing just flat shoots.
The Lee 255 rf is an awesome bullet for sure. I have found it to start falling apart accuracy wise around 100 yards from my lever gun. No problem, I just shoot em at shorter range.

What kind of load you using for the 45 ACP? What OAL? I just might have to try them.

Brad

geargnasher
05-03-2011, 10:12 PM
I have never tried it in my 1911. I have been using my group buy "Cayoots kinda heavy" bullet in the 45 Colt more. That thing just flat shoots.
The Lee 255 rf is an awesome bullet for sure. I have found it to start falling apart accuracy wise around 100 yards from my lever gun. No problem, I just shoot em at shorter range.

What kind of load you using for the 45 ACP? What OAL? I just might have to try them.

Brad

Huh? Who said .45 ACP?

Since you mention it, I've done that too, but the nose is way too fat, the meplat too large, and the plain base has to be seated so deep it bulges a ring in the brass. The 454190 does the same thing, but not nearly as bad as it can be seated longer due to the pointier nose. with W-W brass there is practically no bulge at all. The 452664 is better due to the BB, but again, nose too fat to not catch the slide lock lever on my 1911s some of the time.

BTW, there is a member among us who's got really good info on heavies in the 1911s, pm me if interested and I'll tell, but only if you're really interested.

Gear

btroj
05-03-2011, 10:25 PM
I suppose I misread when you mentioned toggle linkers. I suppose you meant 73 win and the like. My bad. I suppose I need to read more with comprehension.

I really don't need to try them, I have a Mihec H&G 68 clone that is a charm to use.

Brad

mebe007
05-03-2011, 10:34 PM
+1 to all, Brad. I wore out a 454-255-RF and a 452-255-RF, should have a new two-banger on the brown truck as we speak, I guess I missed the Midway sale, I was shopping last minute for the April sale specials.

Clean, clean clean. Soak in mineral spirits or Kroil overnight, it's unbelievable how much cutting oil gets forced into the mould cavity pores. Degrease like crazy, preheat the mould and cast fast. Sadly, I have a literal pile of .45 caliber moulds including a $120 custom design of my own, and the Lee still is the most accurate single boolit design in all my guns, that is until the alignment pins finally wear and I start getting "stepped" noses on my boolits.

I crimp in the second lube groove for everything except the toggle-linkers, they won't quite feed unless it's seated a tad deeper, so I crimp in the front groove and reduce the powder a grain for those.

Gear

If the sale is within 30 days of purchase midway will credit you the difference. Just give them a call

geargnasher
05-03-2011, 10:43 PM
If the sale is within 30 days of purchase midway will credit you the difference. Just give them a call

OOOH, bueno! Thanks for the tip. It's only a buck, but they add up.

Gear

Leadmelter
05-09-2011, 07:24 PM
[SIZE="3Thee Lee instructions says to use Lee lube but not anthing with ALOX to lube the mold before use. I don't have any. What else can I use: beeswax, RCBS, Lyman, etc?SIZE]
I hope to try it out this week with rain predicted.
Thanks!
Gerry

btroj
05-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Get Bullplate, use it, never regret it. It really is that simple. Bullshop os a site vendor here, great guy to deal with. Order it quick before the bears eat it.

exile
05-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Handloader did an article on heavy bullets in the .45 ACP a while back.

exile

RobS
05-09-2011, 11:22 PM
I agree that Bullplate is good lube however you can also use a high quality synthetic 2 cycle engine oil in the mean time. Use only a very little and apply with a Q-tip to the underneath side of the sprue plate, the alignment pins/sockets and I even put a little in the crack between the sprue plate on the corner of the sprue plate bolt side. Take the other side of the Q-tip and wipe any excess away. Remembe,r a little is better than too much as you can reapply vs having too much then you have to stop casting to clean the mold and mold cavities.

First time cleaning: I use hot tap water and dawn original and scrub with an old tooth brush. Rinse well with hot water or some even rinse the mold in boiling water. After this pat dry and place on a hotplate or on top of the pot as you start it up to evaporate the rest of the water prior to casting.

Also check for burrs.

Leadmelter
05-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the hint, already done and ready to roll in the am if my chores get done first.
I have only been on here a short time and learned more helpful hints and advice than I learned in 100's of articles.
Cast bullets is not a stagnate practice but alive and well!!!
Gerry

Whistler
05-11-2011, 04:11 AM
This bullet is my current experiment for IPSC shooting in a S&W 625 revolver using .45 ACP brass. The heavy weight should allow for major power factor with less recoil. My only concern is the brass bulging, but I will continue to experiment with seating depth.