PDA

View Full Version : Happy, then disappointed

jpatm2
05-03-2011, 07:43 PM
I went to mine some ranges here looking for some lead. I saw a likely range, pulled in and walked to the impact area. It appeared to be a machine gun range and I was hoping to find some .30 caliber slugs. But what I found instad was M781 40mm Practice round projectiles. 5 of them weigh about 1.75 lbs. I was excited because I found 20-30 of them. I tought I would do a quick internet search to see what the composition of them would be and found out they are................... zinc! Do'oh[smilie=b: I thought that I had a great source of lead, but alas, it is not to be. Oh, well. Guess I will just have to take them to the recyclers.

clodhopper
05-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Keep looking, pretty soon you will find some.
With some experience the wiley lead nuggets will have nowhere to hide.

Intel6
05-05-2011, 10:35 AM
I did the same thing years ago while stationed in Europe. There was a 203 range with a hull of a trashed BMP. It had been burned and the top was opened up. It was the favorite target of the 203 gunners so it acted like a container and had hundreds of those bases in it. I had visions of shipping them back to the US in my household goods until I found out they were Zinc.