PDA

View Full Version : converting 270 to 7x57 ??

atr
05-03-2011, 04:40 PM
I just scored a pot full of 270 brass,,,once fired but I need more 7x57 brass..
has anyone successfully (or not) converted .270 to 7x57?
any thoughts / tips would be appreciated
atr
ps...the picture is the road up to my place,,,still lots of snow

Von Gruff
05-03-2011, 06:36 PM
This is a simple re-sizing job. I have a body die and this of course makes it even easier but running it through the 7x57 die with the expander stem out and a washer under the die gets a mostly formed case that can be trimmed to length. Re-install the expander stem and remove the washer so a propper FLS can be done. Check trim length, chamfer in and out for job done. I have done 270, 30-06, 8x57 all down to 7x57 with complete satisfaction. Mostly use them for bulk loads of cast plinking loads and keep my good 7x57 brass for hunting loads.

Von Gruff.

Larry Gibson
05-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Von Gruff's advice is good. Another alternative is to get an 8x57 form/cut off die. They are not that expensive and you can use the initially formed case to then form any cases based off the x57 case including the 7x57. Is easy to run the .270 case into the die then use a fine tooth hack saw to cut off the excess sitcking out the top. With .270 cases I like to then anneal the neck shoulder area before furhter down sizing or use in and 8x57. Once annealed simply run into the FL die of your chosen cartridge and trim to length. With .270 and '06 I've made lots of 8x57, 7.65 Argentine, 7x57, 6.5x57, 6.5x55, .257 Roberts and 6mm/.244 Remington cases. With the die backed out the right amount 7.7 Jap cases are also easily made.

Larry Gibson

atr
05-03-2011, 09:56 PM
OK,,,,but I don't follow on the use of a washer?
I suspect it is to make up the difference between the longer 270 and the shorter 7x57 case?
Am I correct ?
thanks for the input

Von Gruff
05-04-2011, 12:21 AM
What the washer does is to allow the use of the fls die without adjusting it and leave a similar small amount of sizing for after the trim to length. The washer is to keep the die .075 - .1 off the press top so that on the full length size after the trim with the expander stem in place the shoulder is set to its proper place.
You can do the fls in one go but you have to pull the expander through the full length of the untrimmed neck, so is harder on your gear. You could trim first but it will not be to final length as sizing will alter length minutely anyway, necesitation a second trim after sizing.

Von Gruff.

atr
05-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Well, NO LUCK !
I tried it with 3 pieces of .270 brass...full length sized without expander, then trimmed, then full length sized with expander, and then final trim...
the cases would not chamber....the base was the culprit...even with FL sizing the base dia. would not fit the chamber of the 1905 Mauser.
any thoughts ?

Von Gruff
05-08-2011, 11:34 PM
Now that is unusual because COTW gives the 270 with a base dia of .470 and a rim dia of .468 with the 7x57 having a base of .474 and rim of ..470 so the 270 is actually smaller than the 7x57.
My WW 270 bras mikes base at .4685 and rim at .465 and my 7x57 bras
is EURO brass base is .4685 and rim .471
US brass base is at .4715 and rim at .471 or .001 over spec.
By all the numbers I have found the 270 brass has tighter specs than the 7x57 for base and rim
I can only suguest that you check the measurement of the 270 brass. If it is in spec then there is no reason it should not size down for the 7x57.
You are sure that it is the base dia that is holding it from chambering, so how did you determine that.
What dies are you using?.
There is a possibility that the shell holder is just a fraction tall because when sizing down brass there is a bit of spring back and while this may not be so much as tio effect your 7x57 brass it may just be that for pushing the shoulder back on the 270 brass the spring back is actually giving you a cartridge that is too long from base to shoulder. That is why I asked if you were sure it was the baase dia and not the length, even though you full length sized.
I would be looking at taking a spare shell holder and dressing the top down by .002 , FLS again, and see if that makes a difference. You would feel a difference in the bolt position on chambering if you did this on your three trial pieces.
It may be that you have to keep that shell holder for your reforming duties.

Von Gruff.

atr
05-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Yes, that surprised me also as the case specifications should have worked...being almost the same as a standard 7x57
So I miked the base of the case(s) in question and they were within specifications...hummm
As a "test" I sawed one in half and inserted the bottom half into the camber...NO PROBLEM !

SO, now I suspect that I may not have formed the shoulder correctly, and that is what is preventing the case from seating properly.

Von Gruff
05-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Any progree on you sizing difficulty. Did you try shaving the top of a shell holder to get a fls that will take the spring-back into account.
I got a package of 30-06 brass in the mail this morning from a friend that will become 7x57 after I get back from a hunt this weekend.

Von Gruff.

atr
05-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Hurrah !!
got them to work....first I annealed the 270 cases a little lower down...ran them through the FL die without the stem......then trimmed them a slight bit long....annealed the new shoulder and ran them through the die with the stem..
worked just fine

thanks all

atr
05-16-2011, 10:40 PM
:mrgreen:it also help to put in the right die....neck sizers don't work !

Von Gruff
05-16-2011, 11:07 PM
:mrgreen:it also help to put in the right die....neck sizers don't work !

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

:drinks:

Glad you got it sorted. I turned the 30-06 cases mentioned above into lovely 7x57's. When I anneal usually I aim the heat at the shoulder neck junction but when I anneal the longer cases for reforming I heat at the shoulder body junction and when the reforming is done the anneal line is at the right place just onto the the body by a 1/4 in or so.

eljefeoz
02-04-2013, 08:29 AM
I know this is a bit old, but what dies are you folks using?
I had problems with my Redding 7x57FL and sent them off for rectification.In the meanwhile, I got a Lee 3 die set today, and it does a good job on standard depriming/ neck sizing and seating,using previously resized, TTL, neck turned, Federal 30-06 brass.Did a batch of 55 'previously abandoned ' brass today.
Can I use Lee to form 30-06 to 7x57? Remove the spindle (just noticed the decapping pin and spindle are one part!) and size with Imperial sizing wax /or graphite powder?
I was told that Lee dies are:
a) made to pop open if the pressure exerted is too high and;
b) are designed to work in non cam over type presses.
Plan is to use 20 Gr of 4227 / 17.2 gr Blue dot ( The Von G load) with 145gr GC CB and anneal the cases after the fireform
TIA for the Lee Noob FAQ :roll:

flounderman
02-04-2013, 10:04 AM
the only thing that pops open on a lee is the depriming rod will slip if it isn't tightened. I would use case lubricant for serious resizing. I don't like graphite. You will have to anneal the necks and it might work better to anneal them before you try to make 7mms out of them

Von Gruff
02-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Eljeffe, I have used my Lyman FLS die but them I got a Redding body die. I can see no reason that the Lee dies will not work if set acordingly with annealed and lubed cases.

eljefeoz
02-05-2013, 08:06 AM
Seems I must post here oftener.
Got the 7x57Redding FL die set back today- Am told the problem was in the shell holder-the same shell holder had major variations in specs, as made by 2 different manufacturers.:roll: SO hopefully no more EURO, pricey, stuck cases.
If a pre form annealing is going to be kinder to the cases {and on my shoulder }so be it ;)

To recap,
I can anneal twice.
First- at the shoulder-body junction,
case form with the standard Redding/Orange Crusher combo, without the expander, and a shim/washer under the die.
TTL and reform with expander in place and shim/washer removed from under the die.

Second- after fireforming? to make up for all the mechanical manipulations, I guess?
Cheers, and Thanks for the inputs

eljefeoz
02-06-2013, 07:19 AM
Thanks,Folks.
Just dood 20each on the Redding and LEE from 30-06 RP to 7x57.smooth sailing.

Von Gruff
02-06-2013, 06:42 PM
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/Miscelaneous/thumbsup2_zpsc1d5d77f.gif