PDA

View Full Version : H&G .58 minie ball mold

Oblofusc
05-03-2011, 12:24 AM
I just got ansingle cavity Hensley & Gibbs mold marked "Hensley & Gibbs San Diego CA" and "58." It is a mold for a .575" minie ball, with a baseplug. I don't see it referenced anywhere. Anyone know its age, number made, etc?

Thanks.

Texasflyboy
05-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Made before 1954 is all I can tell you. Blackpowder moulds were usually a custom order mould for Hensley & Gibbs. Very often, the customer would send in a slug or measurement to have the mould cut to fit the rifle. The 58 number on your mould may simply be the .575" measurement rounded up to "58". The factory ledger has design 58 for a .30 caliber pope bullet mould, so your "58" was probably made as a customer designed order.

I would suspect that not a lot of these were made. I've seen less than 20 total in all calibers over the years watching eBay auctions.

Tom in VA

Oblofusc
05-07-2011, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the info TFB. Kinda neat to know I have a rare, old, "collectible" H&G mold. It looks very close (the cavity) to a Lyman 575-213 "Old Style" mold so I'm not sure it's going to produce a unique Minie ball, but it will be fun to try out & see.