PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Sharps

05-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Been having a ball shooting the Sharps with 12 gr. Unique and 405 cast. Everything from 50 to 500 yards. It chronographs 1110 fps out of the 32 inch barrel. Touches holes at 50 yards. Going to get a Lee .459-500-3R mold. Anybody shoot this boolit?

doubs43
05-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Sounds like a good time and the Pedrsoli Sharps is a well made rifle. I sure like mine!

OTOH, Unique is rather fast burning and you'd get full velocity in a much shorter barrel. But, if it does what you want and is accurate, that's what counts. Have fun.

Tom-ADC
05-03-2011, 12:09 AM
I just shoot 10 grs in mine, zero recoil and a tack driver...

NickSS
05-03-2011, 03:05 AM
I have a couple of Pedersoli Sharps rifles and they both shoot well. I mostly shoot black powder out of them and those loads kick a bit more than your Unique load for some reason though velocities are not much higher. I think it has something to do with the weight of the powder and the rocket effect or the gas coming out of the bore. Both my rifles have only 30 inch barrels but I do have a 34 inch one on my Shiloh Sharps rifle that I use for long range matches.

6.5 mike
05-03-2011, 03:49 AM
+ 1 for pedersoli sharps, one of my favorite rifles to shoot, best part SWMBO gave it to me for x-mas 2 years ago.

05-03-2011, 06:30 AM
The first time I let someone else shoot it with that load all I heard was a paaa-thump. thought I forgot the powder. Just fun to shoot. Plus you have plenty of time to call your shot before it gets there at 500 yards. Thump:coffee: low left

NSB
05-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Do you need to put a filler on top of the powder? If so, what do you use and how much?

myfriendis410
05-03-2011, 10:25 AM
I've got the "Billy Dixon" and it was given to me as a 50th Birthday present by my best friend, who also drove it out to California from Colorado to present it to me (surprise!). It's my favorite plinking gun. I just wish we had more than 100 yards to work with here.

I cast a Lyman 520 grain round nose plain base using ww+tin, lubed with my own recipe in the Star at .4580". The best load I've found for that bullet is 27.5 gr. I4198, R-P case, Fed 210M. I get average groups in the 1.2" range. I'm always amazed at how much precision you can get from a peep sight.

KCSO
05-03-2011, 11:08 AM
As to the boolit you mentioned I do have that mould and my friend is using it right now to work up his long range load. So far at 300 yards he is getting 4-5" groups with B/P from his shiloh sharps. But the real hoot is another fellow who got outshot with a pedersoli sharps and it made his Shiloh look bad. He came home with a long face for sure that Pedersoli shot a group at 100 yards with 3 shots clustered together almost touching.

Baja_Traveler
05-03-2011, 11:08 AM
My Pedersoli is the most beautiful gun I own - its a Navy Arms import with the upgraded wood. I also shoot the Lyman 520 grain - when I show friends the slug they cannot believe the size. That's a 44 mag with a 240 grain boolit, and a 45acp with a 200 grain for comparison...

http://www.pbase.com/baja_traveler/image/133093732.jpg

montana_charlie
05-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Going to get a Lee .459-500-3R mold. Anybody shoot this boolit?
I considered buying that mould as my 'first try' in finding the right bullet for my rifle. I read a ton of opinions on bullets (of all types) and found very few who tried that Lee bullet.

Of those who did use it, there were more who were disappointed than satisfied.

The main complaint (if I recall) was that it was prone to go haywire beyond 500 yards (or something like that).

If you want a heavy bullet for a Pedersoli Sharps, the PGT bullet is the natural 'first try' because it was designed for the Pedersoli chamber and throat dimensions.

If you have a favorite mould maker, he can use this drawing ...
http://bpcr.net/site_docs-results_schedules/documents/pedersoli_gunn_trenk_bullet.htm

It's 'official' name is the 460-550 Pedersoli-Gunn-Trenk bullet.
But, Paul Jones offers it as a stock item, and calls it the Pedersoli Chamber.
CM

05-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Do you need to put a filler on top of the powder? If so, what do you use and how much?
NSB
I had never even heard of using filler until I came to this board. So somebody with more experience needs to answer that.

myfriendis410
05-04-2011, 10:18 AM
I considered buying that mould as my 'first try' in finding the right bullet for my rifle. I read a ton of opinions on bullets (of all types) and found very few who tried that Lee bullet.

Of those who did use it, there were more who were disappointed than satisfied.

The main complaint (if I recall) was that it was prone to go haywire beyond 500 yards (or something like that).

If you want a heavy bullet for a Pedersoli Sharps, the PGT bullet is the natural 'first try' because it was designed for the Pedersoli chamber and throat dimensions.

If you have a favorite mould maker, he can use this drawing ...
http://bpcr.net/site_docs-results_schedules/documents/pedersoli_gunn_trenk_bullet.htm

It's 'official' name is the 460-550 Pedersoli-Gunn-Trenk bullet.
But, Paul Jones offers it as a stock item, and calls it the Pedersoli Chamber.
CM

And, how would one get in contact with Paul Jones to have one made? What, in your opinion, would you size for a Pedersoli? .460?

Baja_Traveler
05-04-2011, 10:32 AM
HERE (http://www.pauljonesmoulds.com/45_caliberpage2.htm) is the link to Paul Jones' Pedersoli mold. Hit the Home button for contact info - He's in the Los Angeles area. I'm told that if you slug your barrel he can cut it to shoot as cast, so no sizing required.

It's on my "To Get" list when I have the $220 to spend.

montana_charlie
05-04-2011, 12:19 PM
And, how would one get in contact with Paul Jones to have one made? What, in your opinion, would you size for a Pedersoli? .460?
His website is http://www.pauljonesmoulds.com
Click on Bullet Moulds ... click on .45 cal. Moulds Page 2
It is #45021

If the mould casts at .460" I would not size at all because I shoot fireformed cases without sizing them down. A .460" bullet will thumb seat in my case mouths.
If the as-cast dimension proves to be too large for your rifle/brass combination, size the least amount necessary to chamber easily.

This diagram is a true-to-scale representation of the PGT bullet in a Pedersoli 45/70 chamber

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv203/montana_charlie/45-70_Govt__PedersoliwithPGTBullet-1.gif

CM

AKGrouch
05-05-2011, 01:14 AM
I recently got one of the Uberti long range Sharps rifles with the 34" barrel. It's really made by Pedersoli and first class. I've been reading and accumulating the necessary pieces parts to load it on the dark side and finally shot it this weekend for the first time and fell in love with it. Damn that thing is fun to shoot. I shot several different loads and found one that the gun really likes. It's one of Venturino's loads. 60.0 grs. of Goex Cartridge through a 20" drop tube, with a .060 vegetable fiber spacer behind the Lyman 457125 bullet at 520 grs. I'm using the Federal 215 primers just like Venturino recommended and WW brass. My best group was really a string of 5 shots that constantly touched as they climbed up the center of the target....about a total of 3/4" wide by 1 1/4" tall making one ragged hole that you could see was really 5 rounds.....That told me that the rifle will shoot better than my old eyes can see. I was using a circular insert in the front site and a C Sharps tang sight as the tang sight that comes with the rifle leaves a bit to be desired IMHO. Had to load some more rounds up for the Cantankerous Cowboy class for the SASS shoot on Saturday....looking forward to it.

bigted
05-05-2011, 05:50 AM
akgrouch,,,i also have the very same rifle you describe and my loads also go verticle with little horozontal for the string. i recently 'learned' about the vibration affect with these long heavy barrels and i for one am looking forward to trying it out with this rifle and my browning hiwall as well. it goes something like this;

hold the rifle by the action with one hand and tap with the other hand [or a small plastic hammer like i have...an inertia style bullet puller would work as well] along the barrel length to find where the vibration is the least.[ my rifles have a dead spot that has no vibration at all]. this is the spot where the barrel should be rested for the best accuracy out of a rifle/barrel.

makes sense as mine all seem to climb or drop in the verticle string that blows my great groups with all 6 of my 45-70's. some are scoped and some have the tang sites and the browning and uberti have the longrange 'soul' type sights. i use the post front sight insert in both mine but have that teardrop looking front peep insert for them as well.

thought id pass along what im learning to all.

bigted
05-05-2011, 05:50 AM
deleted a double here:coffeecom

5.7 MAN
05-05-2011, 06:07 AM
I just picked up a used Pedersoli Sharps that was originally a 50-70, the previous owner reamed it to 50-90, it has a 34" barrel and pistol grip stock. I haven't had a chance to shoot it with BP yet but I put 20 or so rounds last week using a 425 Grn 50-70 bullet and AA5744 powder and It did pretty well, 2 3/4" group. I didn't have a good front sight insert but I will have one this week so I'll give it another go.

AKGrouch
05-05-2011, 05:07 PM
akgrouch,,,i also have the very same rifle you describe and my loads also go verticle with little horozontal for the string. i recently 'learned' about the vibration affect with these long heavy barrels and i for one am looking forward to trying it out with this rifle and my browning hiwall as well. it goes something like this;

hold the rifle by the action with one hand and tap with the other hand [or a small plastic hammer like i have...an inertia style bullet puller would work as well] along the barrel length to find where the vibration is the least.[ my rifles have a dead spot that has no vibration at all]. this is the spot where the barrel should be rested for the best accuracy out of a rifle/barrel.

makes sense as mine all seem to climb or drop in the verticle string that blows my great groups with all 6 of my 45-70's. some are scoped and some have the tang sites and the browning and uberti have the longrange 'soul' type sights. i use the post front sight insert in both mine but have that teardrop looking front peep insert for them as well.

thought id pass along what im learning to all.

Now that is both interesting and makes sense. I'll have to try that. Thanks Ted - Central Alaska huh.....must not be too far apart since I'm in Anchorage.

montana_charlie
05-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Now that is both interesting and makes sense.
An entire thread on that very subject ...
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=1255936#post1255936

05-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Lots a good information

05-08-2011, 06:50 PM
I took the Pedersoli and my Lee 500s out today and although it was very informal shooting it shot very well and better than the Suter's choice 405s. Still 12 gr. Unique 1020 fps only I used a Lee factory crimp die this time. I did notice some lead residue on the first 1/8 inch of a fired case around the mouth. What causes that I didn't have it with the 405s. I've seen it on light 38 SP. Is it a sign that the load is to light and the case is not expanding and sealing the chamber?? No leading in the barrel, boolits were double coated with LLA and not sized. They drop between .459-.460.
Thanks

montana_charlie
05-09-2011, 02:27 PM
I did notice some lead residue on the first 1/8 inch of a fired case around the mouth.
You probably have some lead buildup in the front end of your chamber.
It accumulates if your cases are shorter than the depth of your chamber.

After making sure the leading is gone, you should cast your chamber, or make an impact impression of it's front end.
Then you can get an accurate measurement of it's depth.
But, it is probably about 30 thousandths longer than "2.1 inches", and after being fired, your brass is probably shorter than "2.1 inches".

The gap between the end of the case, and the end of the chamber can 'trap' lead.

CM

bigted
05-09-2011, 09:32 PM
some north of Fairbanks in the boonies...kinda...the last place that has electricity wired close by...lol.

05-10-2011, 06:43 AM
OK
Thanks

7 Ring
05-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Been having a ball shooting the Sharps with 12 gr. Unique and 405 cast. Everything from 50 to 500 yards. It chronographs 1110 fps out of the 32 inch barrel. Touches holes at 50 yards. Going to get a Lee .459-500-3R mold. Anybody shoot this boolit?

I own a Pedersoli Rolling Block 45-70 and use the same load with S&S Casting bullets. I am amazed at how accurate the rifle is at 100 yards.

45-70 Chevroner
05-16-2011, 04:03 PM
I have an original C. Sharps Arms black powder action converted to centerfire in 45-70 and a Pedersoli Rolling Block 45-70 and I shoot that same Lee 500 gr. 459 3R. in both of them. I am using 13 gr. of unique in the Rolling block and 12 gr. unique in the Sharps. They both will shoot inside 3" at a 100 yards. I don't weigh my boolits for any thing less than 200 yards. For long range 500 + yards I weigh all my boolits to with in + - 1 gr..
Love those 45-70's. They are my favorite of all my shooters. "AND THAT'S FOR SURE AND FOR CERTAIN". Quigley

05-16-2011, 10:51 PM
Just finished casting 104 of the 5003R. I opened the flow up and I'm getting a lot better looking boolits. Had the Lee 20 running for the 500s and the Lee 10 with pure lead for 12 ga. slugs made 40 some of those.

myfriendis410
05-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Here's a couple of different loads with the same bullet, shot within the last few days. The data should be readable on the targets. I also ran one load up around 1400 fps (IMR 4895 and a Federal 210m). The first trigger pull was attention-getting on THAT load. This is from my Pedersoli Sharps Billy Dixon, resting on the center "node" of the barrel. Thorough cleaning between groups. I'm still trying to refine the velocity deviations down to something a little more acceptable. All of the bullets are weighed to +- .5 gr. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

montana_charlie
05-17-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm still trying to refine the velocity deviations down to something a little more acceptable. All of the bullets are weighed to +- .5 gr. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
The velocity variations shown are probably not severe enough to cause problems when shooting at a hundred yards. But, if you hope to make them better, you will have to concentrate on 'the cases', first.

Make sure they are all consistent in every way you can think of:
Same lot #, volume, deburred primer hole, clean inside, same neck hardness, same neck tension (if used), and same crimp (if used).

If you aren't using a crimp, try one. If you are loading without neck tension, try some.
Either or both of these because ... smokeless sometimes benefits from some 'resistance' in making the bullet move ... one or the other (or both) may make it burn more efficiently or consistently.

Loads with black powder charges can get low ES and SD numbers by watching the above factors, but also when varying the compression of the charge.

That area of change doesn't exist with smokeless, so you are stuck with varying the weight of the charge, for whatever improvement that might produce.

CM

myfriendis410
05-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Yeah; good thoughts all and I've already done everything but anneal the cases. Same lot, same length, same crimp (heavy), neck tension, I size only the first 1/2" of case before belling, hand seat primers, deburr the flash holes etc.

I'm trying a softer alloy to see if I am getting some blow-by with the ww bullets. The velocities should be low enough to accept a softer bullet.

THerbert
05-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Well, after nearly 20 years of waiting, wishing and watching, I finally picked up one of these rifles in .45-70 this past weekend -- a Billy Dixon model. An older lady at the gun show had a table at which she was liquidating her late husband's guns. I looked at it the first time I walked past, and did a double take on the price. I went back by her table on my way out, and looked it over thoroughly. It had some cosmetic issues, but the bore was mirror bright, and it had the Pedersoli Long Range Creedmore sight on it, with the windage adjuster and the selectable aperture eyecup. Since I only had a couple hundred bucks with me, I asked her if she would take $100 to hold it over night, and I'd pick it up early on Sunday. She agreed, and I went back and got it the next morning.

When I got it home, I looked it over thoroughly again, and ran some patches through the bore, and all I got out of it was a little oil. The double set triggers work perfectly, and the colors on the case hardening are bright. Some of the screw slots are a little bunged up from someone using the wrong screw drivers, but I can always order replacements if they bug me enough.

I kinda feel like I stole it from her, but I paid her asking price of $1000, so she was happy and I'm thrilled to have it. I ordered the Lee .459-500-3R mold, it should be here tonight. I'm going to go shoot it on Friday morning, so I probably wont have time to cast any of these and get them loaded before then, but I've got some Trapdoor loads sitting on the bench that will at least go boom when I pull the trigger. I'm looking forward to developing a load to shoot at the local BPCR Silhouette range -- something I've always wanted to do.

This is actually my first post, I've been lurking in the background and absorbing. I've been casting for about 20 years, in the so-called "Cowboy" calibers, back before they got really popular. .32-20, .38-40, .44-40 and .45 LC, as well as the 405 grain boolits for my original Trapdoor. Got away for a while, but now I'm getting back into it. I really love falling block single shots, and plan to have them in as many calibers as I can afford.

Tom

myfriendis410
05-18-2011, 06:36 PM
I hope you enjoy it as much as I have mine!

One thing on my rifle; the firing pin block was too thick and would not ding the primers enough to go bang reliably. A friend let me use his lathe and we made a couple of replacement pins that were .005" longer (easier than modifying the block) and have had no more trouble in three years.

When you bust that gun out on the line when the deer hunters are sighting in their rifles, you get some wide-eyed stares.......

zuke
05-18-2011, 07:17 PM
When I first picked up my "new to me" Pedersloi some of the screw's inside were loose.
I brought it to a gunsmith friend of mine and he loc-tighted what needed to be.

cajun shooter
05-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Myfriends410, I can't make any statements on the loading of 45-70 with smokeless powder as it was in the 70's the last time I loaded any 45-70 with smokeless. I have tried to study as much as possible about black powder and will tell you that the annealing of the case mouths will show big differences downrange. I at one time knew that the cases must be annealed and did so. I would maybe do that once when new and then again after 5-6 firings. KW who is a person that I have great respect for advised me to anneal before each loading. It made a huge difference in my BP loadings. It may be an extra step but why not do everything possible to put that round where you want it. If you are using Starline cases,then I will say that you do need to anneal the cases as they advise this in a box of new brass. Later David

myfriendis410
05-19-2011, 07:34 PM
I have taken that advice to heart and annealed 20 WW cases and loaded 'em up. Heavy crimp, and will shoot them in the a.m. I'm hoping to see a drop in velocity deviation. As a corollary, to tighten the groups up too.

Thank you.

Prairie_Wolf
05-19-2011, 11:18 PM

Ok you guys got me scared now. My load data called for 31.5 grains of IMR 4198 with a 405 cast, and that was for a Trapdoor load.

might need to pull these and start over

Prairie Wolf

myfriendis410
05-20-2011, 12:06 AM
You ought to be just fine with that load. I'm loading 27.2 of the same powder, but that's a mild load and that's behind a 520 grainer. That load should be a powder puff.

THerbert
05-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Mine didn't do so well today... I can definitely say I've found a load that the Pedersoli DOESN'T like!

This was the first time I've shot it, and I've never used a peep site before. Also, I went with a friend that was shooting his newly-built AR-15, and he wanted to start on the 50 yard range, to make sure that he was at least on the paper, so I agreed.

Now, I hadn't had time to load anything specifically for this rifle, having had it for less than a week, so I just grabbed the rounds that I had loaded for my Trapdoor -- the Lee 405 grain solid-base on top of 52 grains of Pyrodex RS.

Shooting at the standard 18" x 18" range target, aiming at the center of the bottom of two stacked targets, the first round was at the top of the top target. So, I cranked the eyecup way down, which solved the elevation problem. Now the rounds were on the bottom target, in the 8-ring at about 2 o'clock. But I wasn't looking through the spotting scope, so I put another round downrange. My buddy said, "I think that one went in the same hole." Now I knew that was unlikely, so I looked through the scope. What I saw was the second round I had fired had keyholed. The bullet went through the paper almost exactly 90º to the path of travel, so I had a hole that was 1/2" wide and an inch tall.

I shot a total of fifteen rounds out of the Sharps, and 13 of them went through the paper sideways. I think we can definitely mark that load off the list!

Tom Herbert

doubs43
05-21-2011, 01:54 AM
Tom, your Pedersoli should have a groove diameter of .456". I have an 1874 Pedersoli Sharps and it shoots a .458" boolit quite accurately. What diameter are your Trapdoor boolits?

THerbert
05-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Well, that could be the problem. I measured a bullet pulled from an unfired load, and it measures 0.456". A sized and lubricated, but never loaded bullet measures the same. Interesting, being that my sizing die is marked 0.457".

Regardless, it looks like I need a 0.458" die.

Now, I'm also interested to find out what the bore of my original trapdoor measures. I have some 405 grain hollow-base bullets to load for it, that are sized 0.459".

montana_charlie
05-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Regardless, it looks like I need a 0.458" die.
It would be a good idea to cast your chamber, or make an impact impression, which includes the first inch of the bore.

You may find out that the groove diameter at the chamber end is measurably larger than the groove diameter at the muzzle.
Pedersoli cuts that taper on purpose.

Then, when you go to buy a larger sizing die, you may find that .460" is what you want. That is what I use ... and the PGT bullet (designed expressly for the Pedersoli Sharps) is spec'd at .460".

CM

sffar
05-27-2011, 10:21 PM
I just purchased a Pedersoli Sharps, and have to say it's real nicely put together. I believe it's the Long Range Hunter model with a 30" barrel. Bought it used, but with one round through it by the previous owner who'd bought it at Cabellas. Just ordered brass, dies and what not, but haven't purchased a mold yet. There's a 600 yard range at my club, so I'm hoping to shoot it there. I'm finding it difficult to pick a mold. I'd like a SC, and would probably be happy enough with the 547125 or 547132 Lyman designs, but I'm worried about their casting large enough, as I've read a .460 is just right. The Paul Jones mold is what I want, but it's very expensive. I may go for it anyway, but only because it's easier than going through several molds/designs that may or may not work well. The Lee probably would give me a .460 bullet, and it's inexpensive. I put a post on the Group Buys forum to see if there's interest in having the PGT bullet made by NOE, MiHec or whoever–maybe Jones would do a group buy–but there's been no interest, which is disappointing, as Pedersoli sells a lot of these rifles and I thought maybe I wasn't the only one thinking along these lines.

Kenny Wasserburger
05-27-2011, 10:29 PM
You may wish to check with NEI Moulds and the Original Ideal Postell, they usually are at .461 out of the mould, I sized mine to 458 for my Shiloh and shot into AAA in silhouette with this bullet in the late 90's. Get the Cast Iron Blocks they last much longer.

KW
The Lunger

PS BACO aka Buffalo Arms also sells excellent moulds for around 130 and are of top quality.

sffar
05-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks, Kenny. I've looked around the BACO website, but will have a look at the NEI. I really like the idea of a bullet built specifically to the chamber, though, I gotta say!
With the brass, etc. in the mail, the weather looking good, got to order something pretty soon. I called Lyman, and they promise plus or minus .002 from .460, but it's a throw of the dice.

Doc Highwall
05-28-2011, 08:29 AM
I think I saw the Pedersoli-Gunn-Trenk bullet mould available from Buffalo Arms.
Great site and lots of knowledgeable people there.

sffar
05-28-2011, 10:05 AM
I'll have to call BACO. I do see one design in the NEI catalog called "Gunn Modified" #341C, though it has an additional band. Maybe their own take on the PGT.

montana_charlie
05-28-2011, 11:47 AM
That #341C has been in their catalog a lot longer than the PGT design has existed. Dr. Gunn designed a ton of bullets in his day.
It was because of his expertise that he was recruited to develop the Pedersoli bullet.

CM

sffar
05-28-2011, 11:56 AM
That #341C has been in their catalog a lot longer than the PGT design has existed. Dr. Gunn designed a ton of bullets in his day.
It was because of his expertise that he was recruited to develop the Pedersoli bullet.

CM

And here I was thinking "gunn" was Italian for "gun!"
MC, I've read many of your posts here and on a bpcr forum. I believe you use the PGT bullet. May I ask your opinion (and others as well) on whether it's worth pursuing this bullet designed specifically for the Pedersoli chamber? Is there a theoretical advantage more than a practical one?
Don't mean to hijack thread, though it is about what works for a Pedersoli Sharps.

montana_charlie
05-28-2011, 01:14 PM
I believe you use the PGT bullet. May I ask your opinion (and others as well) on whether it's worth pursuing this bullet designed specifically for the Pedersoli chamber? Is there a theoretical advantage more than a practical one?
First, the PGT bullet is pretty similar to the PJ Creedmoor. It is less similar to the Postell. A gun that shoots the Creedmoor well will probably also shoot the PGT well. That refers to any brand of rifle.
As I recall from the days when I remembered the numbers, the ballistic coefficient of the PGT is slightly better than the Creedmoor.

Which it will shoot 'best' will likely hinge on which one 'fits' best. Bullet fit is the most important part of having it shoot well.
I have no idea of what rifle Paul Jones originally cut his Creedmoor to fit. But, whoever shot it got such good results that everybody had to have his own. It turned out to be a very flexible design which works well in many rifles. Those rifles that don't like the Creedmoor seem to like the Postell.

You are looking at trying a number of designs, to see what works best in your gun. If you prefer to buy a mould for each design you try, you will own at least two moulds ... because you will always wonder if one of the others would 'do better' (which usually means 'fit better').

If you buy a Lyman 457132 Postell mould, current thinking among our members leads me to believe it is likely to be undersize. The PJ Creedmoor is available from NEI at a lower price than Jones charges, but it's about twice what they want for Lyman moulds. The membership here has been saying that NEI moulds are coming out undersized, too.

That could get you pointed toward a custom cut mould ... for the simple fact that you want it to cast the bullet that you expect it to.
Thinking on that line, buying a Creedmoor mould - or a Postell mould - from Paul Jones could be a fine decision.
But ... since he sells a mould that is specifically shaped to your chamber ... why not go the route which has the greatest probability of working for you?

After considerable 'development', my rifle shoots the Creedmoor well (from an NEI mould). It does about equally well with the PGT, but I never spent much time with that bullet after I finally got the mould ... a long wait during the days when Victory Molds was on it's deathbed. I set the mould aside after only a session or two because I was just turning toward paper patching.

In answer to your specific question ...
Because I didn't take the PGT all the way through to finding the 'best load', I can only say that the advantage is 'theoretical'. But it sure was easy to get 'decent' results.

Having used mass-produced and custom-made moulds, I feel you will never regret using a custom. There are a number of mould makers in our membership.
Any of them could (legally) cut the PGT cavity for you.

I hope this is informative enough to help you make a decision ... without being too pushy.

CM

sffar
05-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Thanks, MC. I appreciate your very circumspect opinion. The PJ mold is looking better and better–that price is still tough, though. I have bought custom molds and they're a much more reliable purchase, and if the NEI experience has been difficult for a lot of buyers, that's worth the difference in price right there if it turned out to be a hassle. I don't see this as a gun I'm likely to want to try more molds for than I have to. Might be nice to have a slightly lighter bullet that shoots well at my distance, but that's trivial, really, given that it might take more of something else to assemble. I'd much prefer to get a promising outcome the first time.
Too bad my group buy post has gotten no interest, as that would have solved the problem cheaper, and whoever made it might have a good money maker given there are so many Pedersoli Sharps out there. Hard to believe I'm the only one considering these same options. Not a single bit of interest–a lead balloon!
Maybe it'll get traction after I purchase the PJ edition.
Sam

Baja_Traveler
05-28-2011, 10:35 PM
My experience with the Lyman Postell mold is that it drops at an average of .459. The mold I borrowed doesn't drop them perfectly round - .458 to .460. Shot them for the first time last weekend, and they shoot reasonably well out to 300 yards. I will be ordering the PJ mold soon, as that was the plan all along. I sure love my Pedersoli! Finished my shooting sticks today - I'll be shooting my first BPCR Silhouette match next weekend.

http://www.pbase.com/image/135088428.jpg

sffar
05-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Man, that's a nice looking setup. You may throw some guys off their game. Good luck at the match! And thanks for the bullet info.

Bad Ass Wallace
05-29-2011, 06:31 AM
I have 3 PJ moulds now 460 PGT, 650gn Creedmoor for the 50/90 and 374gn .380 for the Pedersoli Hiwall with 1:12 twist barrel; I can say his products are second to none.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/Picture028.jpg

mattbowen
05-31-2011, 08:06 PM
Tom;

I swedged my Pedersoli Sharps the other day and found it to be .4555 and I shoot a Lee 405HBFP (unsized) and it shoots very well out to 100yds. so far (I only have a 100yd range set up).

Matt

sffar
06-01-2011, 09:29 PM
I spoke to Paul Jones, and he informed me that Pedersoli had changed their throat dimensions in recent times, so for newer Pedersoli Sharps rifles the Gunn Trenk bullet may not be the best option. If I understood him correctly, the long freebore is no longer the norm, and the throat dimension is now more standardized; cut in a way he compared to those in the Shiloh rifles.
Good guy! He took his time explaining some things, and wasn't interested in the least in getting me signed up for a purchase.

montana_charlie
06-02-2011, 12:04 PM
I spoke to Paul Jones, and he informed me that Pedersoli had changed their throat dimensions in recent times, so for newer Pedersoli Sharps rifles the Gunn Trenk bullet may not be the best option.
Thanks for posting that information.

From now on, a person will need to cast his chamber before deciding on a bullet design for use in a Pedersoli Sharps.

CM

Little Roy
06-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Thank you for all of the great information on this list.

I just purchased a Bill Dixon Sharps in 50-90 and am just getting into reloading for it.

Where can I get the equipment to cast the chamber?

I am also not sure if I should be looking at paper patch ir streight lead.

I would like to use smokeless.

Thank you

Roy

Baja_Traveler
06-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Tom;

I swedged my Pedersoli Sharps the other day and found it to be .4555 and I shoot a Lee 405HBFP (unsized) and it shoots very well out to 100yds. so far (I only have a 100yd range set up).

Matt

I also did an impact cast of my Pedersoli Sharps last weekend - same exact numbers!

Interesting info from Paul Jones, and I'm glad you posted it - I'm about to order a PJ mold, and was going to get the P-G-T design, but now I guess I dont need to...

(BTW - shot a 21 in my first BPCR silhouette match last weekend! It is now officially my favorite game.)

montana_charlie
06-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Interesting info from Paul Jones, and I'm glad you posted it - I'm about to order a PJ mold, and was going to get the P-G-T design, but now I guess I dont need to...
Your rifle appears to be the Competition Sharps, so it may have been built after the change in chamber shape, but we haven't seen any information on when the change may have occurred.

Did your impact impression verify that you have the new chamber?

The difference should be easy to detect.

CM

sffar
06-12-2011, 09:45 AM
I get .4572 at the muzzle, .4574 at the start. This is an approximately one year old Cabela's Pedersoli Long Range Hunter. Probably I'll slug a second time, but these slugs look pretty good. Now to do a chamber cast–never did one of those before.

Bad Ass Wallace
06-15-2011, 06:38 AM
I just purchased a Bill Dixon Sharps in 50-90 and am just getting into reloading for it.

I have a Ped 'Boss Gun" in 50/90 and a PJ 650gn Creedmoore boolit mould. With 105gn FG, I have found it be the best medicine to shoot in the wind. That big pill just ain't moved anywhere near the same windage as a 45/70!

Thunder50/90
01-22-2015, 02:58 PM
Having a 50/90 Pedersoli with a Bore: 512" would this bullet work?

montana_charlie
01-22-2015, 03:33 PM
Your rifle appears to be the Competition Sharps, so it may have been built after the change in chamber shape, but we haven't seen any information on when the change may have occurred.
It was a remark to a prospective customer (several years ago) by mould maker Paul Jones that started the belief that Pedersoli had changed the shape of the chamber in their .45 caliber Sharps rifles.
Nobody (that I know of) was ever able to verify that a change was made, when it happened, or what the new shape might be.

I recently asked Gloria (at Pedersoli) for any information she could dig up on that subject.
She informs me that there has been no change in the Pedersoli Sharps chamber.
So, the Pedersoli/Gunn/Trenk bullet is still the 'best fit' in the Pedersoli throat.

CM

Gunlaker
01-22-2015, 06:59 PM
Thunder .50/90 I imagine that bullet would work as the other fellow is also shooting a .50-90 Pedersoli. The only problem is that Paul Jones, the maker of that mould has since retired. In my very limited experience with my .50-90 Winchester BPCR, which has a 1:26 twist, an similar bore/groove dimensions, the Buffalo Arms 698gr Creedmoor bullet works well with a case full of Goex Fg ( about 95gr for me ). I only very rarely shoot mine though, as I'm generally having too much fun with the .32's, .38's, 40's, and .45's.

I'd recommend reading through the older posts on this forum but Kurt ( Lead Pot ), as he has lots of experience with the .50's.

Chris.

Jim_P
01-22-2015, 09:31 PM
What ever happened to Paul Jones. Web address comes up as for sale?

Don McDowell
01-22-2015, 09:37 PM
Paul Jones retired.

wonderwolf
01-24-2015, 02:45 PM
My pedersoli sharps was a really nice rifle, until my Brother in law dropped it at the range, LUCKILY it only took some wood damage to the forearm....needs repaired but it doesn't affect function or accuracy at all.

I take my sharps out with plenty of 12gr unique under 405's for our women on target event, if a lady shows skill at 50 yards with the issued AR-15 the range provides then I let them try a shot at 200 yards off sand bags with the sharps on a gong I hang....Really gets them going if they hit it, been doing this for a few years now and I have some ladies that come only to try that shot with that rifle, lot of husbands have asked if the rifle was for sale this year since Ohio went to stright wall rifle cases for deer.

about 2 years ago I picked up a 2nd pedersoli for $800 like new with 50pcs of brass, dies and bullets in 40-65, REALLY nice wood but the falling block has some alignment issues, or at least it seems like it to me not being fitted as well as my first sharps as well as my dads. Not sure exactly what model it is as its not really listed on pedersolis website but its like the buffalo but without the globe front and tang rear sights.

I really wish I hunted more, would love to take my sharps out, Sold my paper patch molds for the 45-70 awhile ago because it wasn't the right diameter, need to try my hand at making a paper patch swage die or mold as thats what my long range model liked when tested at 200 yards.