PDA

View Full Version : 2400 Mag primers

05-02-2011, 10:35 PM
I've used small pistol mag primers for 15 years. Can't remember the last standard primers I bought. I started using them for 40 S&W USPSA loads mainly because I could back off on the powder a little and still make major power factor. Half a grain of powder doesn't sound like much but when you shoot 15 to 20 thousand rnds. a year it adds up. Then it just got to were it was easier to only have one primer in stock. So I used mag primers in everything.

38 sp. 3.7 gr Unique Lee 158 TL
357 11.9 gr. 2400 Lee 158 TL or Lee 158 GC
40 S&W 4.3 gr. WSF Lee 175 TL (5.2 makes major)
44 mag 18 gr 2400 Lee 240 GC standard large pistol
All are mag primers except the 44.
I've read here a couple of times mag primers are not the thing to be using with 2400 yet I have good results. I just use the starting data. Is there a danger using them with 2400? Or is it just personal preference?
Thanks

btroj
05-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Hey, I always say results are results. If they are working for you then don't change.
There is no single right answer in loading or shooting.
I don't use many mag primers for pistol but that is just because I have never seen a need. No real reason other than that.

I wouldn't sweat things too much.

shotman
05-02-2011, 10:53 PM
works for me I back off 1gr on pistol and 2 on rifle get good clean burn on both
never go back to the reg unless cant get mags

RobS
05-02-2011, 10:56 PM
It could be a danger if a person is loading max from a manual that is using standard primers for load data. If you are working up from the low end of published manuals and accuracy is to your liking then I don't see there being any issues.

Mag primers do have more pressure to them which can push a boolit from crimp more so then a standard primer which can on occasions result in poor powder burn characteristics in revolvers. Proper roll crimping can help with this issue but may not eliminate things entirely resulting in loads that are more accurate with standard primers.

I personally don't use mag primers for 2400 in my 45 revolvers.

bobthenailer
05-03-2011, 08:39 AM
IMO if you worked up the load with mag primers and it was within pressure spec and is accurate? go for it !

Char-Gar
05-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Looking at your experience with mag primers and 2400, you should be the one answering the question for us.

Larry Gibson
05-03-2011, 12:31 PM
I also have had good results with mag primers in the .357, 41 and .44 magnums. Everyone knows that 50+ or however many years ago it was Keith said not to use them as they weren't necessary. That mantra has been repeated so many times most everyone takes it for granted. Over the years I have tested 2400 in all three cartridges with standard and with magnum primers. Most often there is no difference between them in accuracy or performance. The only noticeable difference is with the top end loads the magnum primers seem to burn a little cleaner.

Recently I conducted a test of velocity, psi and accuracy, comparing Hercules 2400 with Alliant 2400 under a Keith bullet in the .44 magnum. Part of the test was a comparison of a load with a standard primer vs the same load with a magnum primer. Again, absolutely no difference between the Hercules or Alliant 2400 loads with either primer. No difference between the two 2400 other than the label either. That test is in the "stickies" on this forum.

Some report better accuracy with one primer or the other. I've no arguement there either as each gun will have it's own likes. I have found that with several revolvers in particular some do like the standard primer with 2400 a little better. Problem is some of them like 2400 with magnum primers better so what's the answer? Go with what your gun likes.

Larry Gibson

Rocky Raab
05-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Larry, the "mantra" might be there because Hercules and now Alliant say not to use magnum primers with their powders.

Switching from magnum to standard, the only safe prediction is that you will get less, the same, or more pressure. Switching from standard to magnum, the only safe prediction is that you will get less, the same, or more pressure.

Larry Gibson
05-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Rocky

While I certainly agree with your sumation I don't quite read Alliants caution that way.

They state under the .44 Magnum Keith load; "2.Some primers are more powerful than others (they produce more gas at a higher temperature). Use only the primers specified herein" I read that as pretty much the standard caution to use only the componants as listed. Otherwise the data will not be correct. Pretty much a CYI thing.....

Again, my tests over 35+ years of chronographing, grouping and now testing for psi have shown me that the individual revolver has more to do with it than the use of a magnum or standard primer. I really do like your sumation.......:drinks:

Larry Gibson

canyon-ghost
05-03-2011, 07:45 PM
The Reloading Manuals read the way, 2400 powder and standard primers. Being pretty new to the big bores, I just do what they say. It is good, however, to have input on this subject. The only reason I have for not using Magnum Primers- they tell me not to.

Ron

Rocky Raab
05-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks, Larry.

One can still read comments in which reloaders complain about unburned kernels of 2400, and that they tried to lessen that by going to magnum primers. Such thinking is fallacious.

Unburned kernels are due to the load operating at below optimal pressures for that powder. It is a sign that the powder is too slow for that application, or that the charge is too light with that powder. Either a faster powder or an increased charge (if within published maximum) is the proper cure.

Alliant 2400 is a very flexible powder, and it will tolerate sub-optimal charge levels, but at the cost of having unburned kernels. If you choose to use it at reduced levels, you will simply have to accept the debris.

looseprojectile
05-05-2011, 02:39 PM
A half a century ago I used small pistol magnum primers and small rifle, regular and magnum primers in .357 loads. Compressed charges of 2400 in a four and five eights inch Ruger single action. Never complained about the accuracy.
I did have to remove several cases in two or three pieces.
I have since backed off of my loads and still shoot just about any primer in the
.357 with nary a complaint on accuracy. Just use regular small pistol primers now but I don't think primer choice makes much difference in how you squeeze off the shot.
Boolit fit and alloy is the main consideration. 2400 is still my powder of choice in the .357.

Life is good