PDA

View Full Version : Wheel weight and type mix?

1911GrayWolf
05-02-2011, 02:35 PM
My father is into casting and has always used pretty much just straight WW's. He recently came across about twenty pounds of what he's calling foundry type from a print shop. A buddy of his hardness tested a few of the pieces of type and they all came out to 31 BHN.
As a test he melted the twenty pounds of type with eighty pounds of WW's, he made ingots and then filled one of his bottom pours and casted a bunch of air cooled boolits. Those boolits all tested out at 16 BHN.
He wants me to ask for opinions on this mix. He casts nothing but solids, no HP's at all. He likes the way they filled out, and didn't get much for rejects.
BTW, he casts for alot of friends and also sells some to other people that don't cast themselves. If this turns out to be a concensus good mix he'll get more type if he needs to. All opinions welcome.

GRUMPA
05-02-2011, 02:55 PM
As far as air cooled boolits I can't answer but water cooled (quench) is all I use. When I cast and check hardness it's always at 16BHN, when I check the hardness in 24hrs it goes to 18-20 BHN, at 48hrs it will stabilize at 22-24BHN. Sounds like your dad got lino-type, kinda stuff a person likes to keep around. And that's with ww and 1% tin added. Or if your dad wants harder boolits heat treat them and they'll get even harder.

Larry Gibson
05-02-2011, 03:25 PM
"As a test he melted the twenty pounds of type with eighty pounds of WW's, he made ingots and then filled one of his bottom pours and casted a bunch of air cooled boolits. Those boolits all tested out at 16 BHN."

I'd say he has a very good "mix". If he wants harder he can water quench or heat treat.

Larry Gibson

pls1911
05-02-2011, 04:57 PM
I use a similar alloy, only I blend it 50 / 50 with roofing flashing
about pure lead.
As cast slugs measure about 10 brynell, fine for 38, 44, and 45 handguns.
This alloy heat treats to 20-25 brynell great for hunting and
without the brittleness of linotype.
It's a cheap way to extend your lead resources.

gray wolf
05-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Very sorry to ask this of you but is there some reason you have to use the same handle as me ?
I understand that you are using all CAPS, but cheese man can you change it just a little ?
Like perhaps GRAY WOLF 2 or GRAY WOLF MW, Kinda walks on me a little.
Can you understand this at all ?

gray wolf

1911GrayWolf
05-04-2011, 06:30 PM
When I first signed up it rejected my first handle choice, so I put in my real nickname and it accepted it. I didn't really know that you could look up other handles until after I was already in. If it's a problem for you, you can certainly go to the powers that be and have them contact me directly to work something out. Please handle that correspondence with some tact and I'm sure it can be resolved.

RobS
05-04-2011, 07:20 PM
If it is 16 BHN then it should work well for many needs from low pressure rounds of 45 auto/38 special to higher end handgun pressures of 40 S&W/9mm to the revolver magnums and even throw in some GC'd rifle needs. The lower pressure loads certainly don't have to have as hard of a boolit and straight air cooled WW's or even 50/50 WW to lead can work there too.

1911GrayWolf
05-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks GRUMPA, Larry Gibson, pls1911, and RobS.

I'll pass this info on to my dad.

gray wolf
05-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Thank you,
I will contact the powers that be and ask very nicely with all the tact I can muster
If they will ask you to consider a slight variation in your handle.

gray wolf