PDA

View Full Version : gloves or no gloves.

Pages : [1] 2

craveman85
05-02-2011, 03:04 AM
just thought i would do a poll on how many of you guys use gloves while casting. personally i dont because i cant stand having stuff on my hands. im also very clumsy when wearing gloves and have been known to spill stuff. ive been smelting lead and casting for about 5 years now and no burns except when you get a little droplet that bounces off the skin. (i do wear an apron, boots, and a face shield though)

stubshaft
05-02-2011, 03:27 AM
I didn't used to and have the scars to prove it!

I wear one on my right hand mainly to turn the sprue cutter, and strike off the sprue. The sprue drops off right in my gloved palm and I drop it into the pot as I reach for my rawhide mallet to open the mould. It makes it so much easier.

warf73
05-02-2011, 03:59 AM
+1 gloved hand, its the easiest way to open up lee 2 cavity molds. I don't alway used gloves when using lee 6 cavity molds.

Ugluk
05-02-2011, 06:15 AM
I return the sprues to the pot after breaking it. I'm not man enough to do that without gloves. Also good when opening molds without dowel.

Hickory
05-02-2011, 07:09 AM
No gloves=burns
gloves=no burns

easy choice.

Ajax
05-02-2011, 07:28 AM
I use a glove on my right hand to open sprue plate,

Andy

LUCKYDAWG13
05-02-2011, 07:47 AM
Burns suck gloves 100%
eye wear too

btroj
05-02-2011, 07:59 AM
No gloves, always glasses.

casterofboolits
05-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Always a gauntlet glove on the left hand, apron, safety glasses and a ball cap. Learned the hard way.

songdog53
05-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Gloves and eye wear and boots too cause hot lead = burns and some can be really bad. Rahter be pouring boolits than healing.

Guesser
05-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Been casting for 40 years, no gloves, no burns other than the minute ones caused by spatter from the Lee dripomatic I've been using since 1980.

lurch
05-02-2011, 08:55 AM
As has been said, the sprue plate gets a bit too hot to contemplate opening it without gloves. I prefer not to beat on my molds if I can avoid it.

biker_trash_1340
05-02-2011, 09:20 AM
No gloves, women love a man with scars :2gunsfiring_v1:

FRC (flame resistant clothing) and glasses from work

buck1
05-02-2011, 09:26 AM
I make myself use them as well as safty glasses and a lond sleeve heavy shirt.

BruceB
05-02-2011, 09:27 AM
In my industry (mining) it's called "PPE"...Personal Protective Equipment. Its use is MANDATED by law and regulation. This stuff saves thousands of workers from injury or death every year.

We may go along for years without really needing the insurance provided by such gear....but when the NEED arises, there will be NO TIME to re-think the issue. If you're not wearing it when the eventuality arrives, you are in for a WORLD of pain, and possibly scarring, crippling or blindness.

WEAR THE GEAR!

Do a search for "the lead tsunami" and find out how I ended up with a lapful of molten lead...AFTER forty years of casting with no such event ever occurring.

*I* was prepared...shouldn't you be? Don't try to make "excuses", because there are NO valid reasons for not wearing protection...NONE.

thehouseproduct
05-02-2011, 09:35 AM
I love my gloves. I used to work at Oakley sunglasses and got a pair of our race car driving gloves. They are made with CarbonX and I can literally pour the molten lead on my hand and not feel while still being able to pick up a penny off the bench. http://tapatalk.com/mu/4404ce30-b319-9c86.jpg

cajun shooter
05-02-2011, 10:31 AM
I always wore gloves until I started casting with a different method. This in no way is saying to not use the safety equipment. I have a very bad back and set up my pot and bench so that I can cast from a sitting rather than standing position. I use a two mould method with a hot plate. The mould is filled and put back on the hot plate to start. After that the first mould is picked up and the sprue plate is lightly tapped with a plastic hammer while being held over a sprue bucket. It is resting on the side of the bucket and pointed down where the sprue is directed. The mould is refilled and returned to the plate and the second mould is picked up. This method keeps my hands away from the hot parts. I am aware that the accident factor is me and I go slow and easy. Speed in casting will give you scars to look at in later life. Again while not perfect it does allow me to cast as I would be unable to do from a standing position and use a glove for the sprue.

Mk42gunner
05-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Like the old saying goes: "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

PPE was pounded into my head while in the Navy. I like to cut the sprue by twisting it as soon as it hardens, kind of discomforting to do without gloves.

Robert

skeet1
05-02-2011, 03:59 PM
I never used to wear golves till I read on this forum about opening the sprue plate with the gloved hand. I now wear gloves all the time when casting because I like this method.

Ken

MikeS
05-02-2011, 05:55 PM
I always wear gloves, just feel safer that way. I started out using some leather work gloves, but they didn't really protect from heat that well, now I use welders gloves, I think they're insulated, as well as having a long gauntlet to protect my arms better than just a long sleeved shirt. Better safe than sorry.

frankenfab
05-02-2011, 06:09 PM
I always wear long welding gloves when smelting, but not when casting. I keep a pair of hemostats close by and feed my sprues back in to the pot while I let my mold cool down.

Von Gruff
05-02-2011, 06:17 PM
I have never used gloves and never thought to use an apron although on reflection I have one in my workshop any may bring it to the casting shed because many of my shirts have splash marks on them. I have been known to ruin a good shirt because I only want to try something out and neglect to change into my older gear. I wear glasses so eyes are protected.
Will re-think my aproach to safety gear as I seem to be getting a bit less 'gung-ho' as I get older.

Timely poll and hope it gives others pause for thought as it has done for me.

Von Gruff.

nwellons
05-02-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm new and have only cast 5 or 6 times. I have not found gloves that I like for casting but do use safety glasses that fit over my reading glasses.

For smelting, I use welding gloves and a face shield.

plainsman456
05-02-2011, 09:14 PM
I use a pair of deer skin gloves.
All it takes is a small amount of lead to get you to wear some.
I have a scar on my left wrist that is a constant reminder.

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-02-2011, 09:19 PM
I wear gloves while dealing with molten lead.

handyman25
05-02-2011, 09:53 PM
I have had 2nd and 3rd dergree burns, it hurts, wear gloves.

bearcove
05-02-2011, 10:38 PM
I'm a welder, I've burned up hundreds of pairs of gloves.

Hat, Glasses, long sleeves, usually a green welding shirt, jeans and, slip on boots.

The worst burn I've seen has been because of lace up boots. Guy was cutting and a BIG blob of slag landed on his boot right on top of the laces. Couldn't get the boot off cause the slag hardened on the boot. 10 years ago and he still limps. Slip on boots and metal just rolls off.

Fire_stick
05-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Gloves for me.
And after reading bearcove's post I am replacing my lace-up steel toes with slip on steel toe boots!
I was really looking for an excuse...

10 ga
05-03-2011, 12:19 AM
Safety, first thing before you hunt, smelt or cast! Gloves, glasses, headcover, slip on steel toe boots, long pants usually carhartt, and I use channel locks to handle the sprues back to the pot when casting. I use 3 pair of welders gloves, when one pair gets too hot set aside to cool and use another pair. I stop if someone comes up when I'm smelting or casting as distractions can be dangerous. 10 ga

Longwood
05-03-2011, 12:34 AM
I'm a welder, I've burned up hundreds of pairs of gloves.

Hat, Glasses, long sleeves, usually a green welding shirt, jeans and, slip on boots.

The worst burn I've seen has been because of lace up boots. Guy was cutting and a BIG blob of slag landed on his boot right on top of the laces. Couldn't get the boot off cause the slag hardened on the boot. 10 years ago and he still limps. Slip on boots and metal just rolls off.
I used to be a welder also. The worst burn I ever saw was when a guy was using a burning table and a big blob of slag built up on one of the supports then dropped into the top of his boot. I saw the wound about a week later and there was about a 1/2" thick piece of flesh missing. I bet he always made sure his pants were over the tops of his boots after that.
Long pants, long sleeved shirt, reading glasses, low topped tennies but no gloves for me.
When I weld, I use one on my left hand only.

dromia
05-03-2011, 01:31 AM
No gloves, I used to but as my arthritis gets worse I can't grip things with gloves on any longer.

There are always gloves to hand for when I do need to touch the mould etc.

Protection is good but now I must run the risk or only cast for a few minutes at a time. As it is I can barely manage 45 minutes sessions now, so I choose to make my hands vulnerable.

The rest of me is well covered and eye protection is always worn.

Tracy
05-03-2011, 01:45 AM
No gloves. Eye protection, boots, natural fibers (jeans, cotton shirt) but no gloves or apron.
Gloves are clumsy. Also, I agree with some advice I read in a blacksmithing book to NOT wear gloves because they cause more burns than they prevent. The cuffs can catch hot slag (or lead) and hold it next to your skin, and with gloves you are tempted to pick up stuff that is no longer red (or never gets red, in casting) but can still burn you through your gloves. I can't imagine anything getting that hot from casting, but I have seen metal while blacksmithing that looks cool but will burn through leather gloves in an instant.
In bullet casting you can get away with that false sense of security. In blacksmithing, it will eventually catch up with you.

Daywalker
05-03-2011, 02:09 AM
I do wear gloves. I open the spru plate with my hands as well. Now in my vid, I had not had on full PPE, however, when I am in full swing I do wear eye protection, boots and other protective clothing.

I have been in the mind set, if other parts of my body is worth wearing PPE, then why would I even think about skimping on something as important as my hands?? You will always need your hands as well as your other parts....IMO

Johnw...ski
05-03-2011, 05:41 AM
No gloves, short sleeve shirt, shorts, flip flops. Smelting is another matter.

John

Bret4207
05-03-2011, 07:28 AM
No gloves, no apron, no steel toed boots and very rarely do I remember to put on the safety glasses. That'll be fixed soon because I simply HAVE to start wearing glasses to see anything within a couple feet of me. Freakin' world has gone blurry!!! I've gotten a few small burns but nothing that even required ointment or anything. I get far worse when I'm welding or brazing. So I also don;t use my hand to open the sprue plate, the light rawhide mallet has been working very nicely with zero damage to my moulds since 1978.

FWIW- I cast standing. To me casting from a sitting position sounds like walking through a mine field. I can't imagine sitting and casting. I even tried a counter stool, can't do it.

btroj
05-03-2011, 08:09 AM
I am like Bret. No gloves, cast standing. glasses always.
Sprue go into a pile next to the pot. They get added the next time I want to cast as 1 pot out of the RCBS is enough at one time for me.
I have gotten a few small burns on my hands from a dripping spout but nothing worse. I like to add cold lead to an almost empty cold pot and turn it on. I will then add more cold sprue with a spoon as the lead melts and room opens at the top of the pot for more.

44 WCF
05-03-2011, 08:24 AM
I use a terry cloth heat resistant glove used in some types of welding, this very comfortable and yeat stay cools without hands sweating. I also use Kevlar sleeve on both arms for years and recently Tyvek thermal diposable sleeve. I also wear shop apron when I'm casting. I was taught these practices by a caster near Dead Wood South Dakota years ago. He worked at Homestake mining Company at Lead just few miles from Deadwood. This genlteman worked in some type of foundry or smelter at the mill. Hand and arm protection is just same a eye protection, you need to wear it only those times when molten metal is going to come in contact with your skin. So if you can figure out those times when you need, don't waste your time with glasses or gloves when you don't,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

firefly1957
05-03-2011, 09:01 AM
I am a slow learner sometimes I do not put gloves on at beginning but always have them on by end of casting session. Also some times were cotton gloves it reduces heat to hands but are not proper for task.

Doby45
05-03-2011, 11:10 AM
I use a single glove on my right hand for manipulating the sprue plate. I wear whatever I am wearing at the time.

ReloaderFred
05-03-2011, 11:55 AM
In my shop gloves, eye protection and long sleeves are mandatory (I'm the whole crew). I cast for appoximately 7 hours yesterday and I can't imagine being around molten lead for that long without gloves.

I cast sitting down, using a Magma Master Caster for most of my casting. If I need a bullet that I don't have a mold for the Master Caster, then I'll use one of my other bottom pour pots, also sitting down.

After casting for the past 42 years, I've got a healthy of respect for molten metal. Years ago, there were still lead splatters on the ceiling of the garage when I sold the house I lived in at the time. You never know when it's going to happen, but when it does, it's best to have planned for it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.....

Hope this helps.

Fred

mdi
05-03-2011, 12:01 PM
I didn't used to and have the scars to prove it!

I wear one on my right hand mainly to turn the sprue cutter, and strike off the sprue. The sprue drops off right in my gloved palm and I drop it into the pot as I reach for my rawhide mallet to open the mould. It makes it so much easier.
Just curious Stub, you twist off the sprue and use a mallet? Why use a mallet to open a mold? Jes askin'

craveman85
05-03-2011, 12:42 PM
i put a wooden handle on the sprue of my lee moulds to open it. gives more leverage and stays cool

Longwood
05-03-2011, 01:03 PM
i put a wooden handle on the sprue of my lee moulds to open it. gives more leverage and stays cool

Great idea, thanks for the tip. Now I know how to put to good use some of that 3/4" thick Phenolic that I have.

Longwood
05-03-2011, 01:16 PM
What exactly is the big deal about using a leather mallet for hitting a sticky mold?
I have been using a hammer handle and lately a leather mallet since about 1973 on some of my molds and have yet to see any issue with it.
Yeah,,, I tried all the tricks to get some of them to drop the bullets but I have two that it did no good at all. The molds still look brand new and the bullets come out looking perfect. The handles are OK also.
Just a guess, but I must have smacked a couple of the molds about 10 thousand times at least.

captaint
05-03-2011, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't even approach the pot without my heavy leather (lined no less) gloves. I usually wear both. A must have, for me at least.. enjoy Mike

mold maker
05-03-2011, 02:07 PM
I was once bullet proof and macho, then as the years passed I found out different.
Young folks do a lot of things standing, that I have to do seated. I constantly wear gloves for smelting and at least one while casting.
There are poor welding gloves that are just barely better than none. Then there are some that are soft and lined that do an excellent job.
Long sleeved cotton shirts and jeans over high top boots with an added leather apron complete the outfit.
Oh yeah, glasses and a brimmed hat.
700+ degree metal rain will burn the heck out of your ears sticking out from under a ball cap.
The first time I got a small but serious burn, taught me a lesson that I will not repeat.

geargnasher
05-03-2011, 02:19 PM
I use a single glove on my right hand for manipulating the sprue plate. I wear whatever I am wearing at the time.

+1, except a little incident at the Boeing factory that would have probably killed me had I not been wearing the Z87s has forever made me paranoid, so I always wear a pair when casting, smelting, reloading, or even when cleaning guns (springs and things fly out sometimes). I was hit hard enough in the left lens of my glasses by a flying pneumatic heavy-lug crimper die to knock me flat on the floor from fifteen feet, still have a scar in my eyebrow from where the glasses split me open, but they stopped the chunk of metal from going through my head.

There's no option for using only one glove, so I left the survey blank.

Gear

WildmanJack
05-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Leather work glove n the left h and, welders glove on the right, leather apron, leather cowboy boots, levy s, long sleeve shirt ( cotton) Hat and glasses... I was a firefighter. I don't like burns!!!
Jack

mdi
05-03-2011, 02:53 PM
What exactly is the big deal about using a leather mallet for hitting a sticky mold?
I have been using a hammer handle and lately a leather mallet since about 1973 on some of my molds and have yet to see any issue with it.
Yeah,,, I tried all the tricks to get some of them to drop the bullets but I have two that it did no good at all. The molds still look brand new and the bullets come out looking perfect. The handles are OK also.
Just a guess, but I must have smacked a couple of the molds about 10 thousand times at least. Usually, if someone uses a mallet while casting the primary reason is to break the sprue and secondary to tap the mold handle or nut, to drop the bullet from the mold. I asked why use a gloved hand to twist off a sprue then pick up a mallet to loosen a bullet? Any advantage to opening the sprue plate by hand seems to be lost by having to pick up a mallet to tap the mold after cutting the sprue by hand. I like to use my mallet to open the sprue plate and, if necessary, tap the bullet loose. Been doing it that way ssince I lernt how to cast.

mold maker
05-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Sticking boolits usually indicate a problem with the mold. (most have them)
I fix the problem and ditch the hammer.

Spector
05-03-2011, 03:33 PM
I wear Kevlar work gloves and open my molds with my hand......Mike

Springfield
05-03-2011, 03:41 PM
I ALWAYS wear 2 Ove' Gloves, made from Kevlar and are heat proof to about 500 deg. I cast a few thousand a week and I still get little burns once in a while. Those lead drops are sneaky, get in places you think they couldn't . Lead burns take way too long to heal and I hate being injured, especially my hands, I need them to make a living.

05-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Two gloves and glasses for me. To each his/her own.

Got tired of wooden whackers. Found a piece of delrin on the road years ago- makes perfect, indestructible whacker.

Longwood
05-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Sticking boolits usually indicate a problem with the mold. (most have them)
I fix the problem and ditch the hammer.

First off, thanks for the reply.

Do you have a fix that has not been mentioned on this site yet? I have tried everything that I have seen but I may have missed the one that works. I would love not having to take the time to tap the molds but then I figure I would have to wait for the mold to cool a little anyway so I don't consider it to be a big deal.
I am almost 70 and nearly every thing I know, I have learned from others that are more knowledgeable than myself so I am certainly open for more suggestions.

Things I have tried in the past or have recently read here.

Smoke the mold.
I used that method for about 15 years and it seemed to help a lot.

Use a very light coat of mold release.
I tried that recently and it seemed to help even more.
I have read here not to use it because it makes small bullets so I have discontinued that even though I did not find that to be the case. The only issue I have noticed with that, is I sometimes get a tiny bit of graphite on some of the bullets which wipes right off.

Vigorously clean all oil etc from the mold with hot water and dish soap.
Did that.

De-burr the mold.
I used the bamboo skewer method then a lead pencil but that effort did not to improve the stickyness.
Even though I could see no signs of the tiny burrs or machining flashing people talk about, I tried aluminum polish, then when that made no improvement, 600 grit lapping compound in the cavities, then because it also did no good, I very gingerly tried a needle file which also seemed to do nothing in the way of improvement. The only thing I have no tried along that line, is tooth paste.

I may have tried another thing or two but I can't recall right now.

I suspect that the sticky molds may have off centered cavities but I have snap gauges and expensive micrometers and can't tell with those. I may try clamping a piece of ground tool steel to the molds and measuring each side of the cavity next.

I am not so sure the bullets are sticking so much as it may more of a "hanging up" issue.
I had a Kieth style mold many years ago that had very square grooves in it and it was a major PITA so I gave it away. I actually had to coax the bullets from that mold with a sharp pick which did not hurt the performance of the bullets any but it took extra time. It was given to me and it was my first mold and I thought it was normal until I bought another mold that I only had to tap if I smoked the cavities.
However, none of the molds that I now have, that cause me the slightly sticky problem, is made that way.
I am not too sure I can call it a problem since tapping the hinge or mold causes the bullets to drop right out and I have done it thousands of times with no issues so far.

Von Gruff
05-03-2011, 04:56 PM
For what its worth I found that a higher mould temp helped boolit release.

Von Gruff.

wallenba
05-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Used to be no gloves. Just a brief touch of my mold block to my 'pinky' melted it like plastic. It has mostly grown out, but you can still see the ripple effect in this photo. It has caused the cuticle to be set back about an eigth of an inch. I felt no pain at the time, but hot water while washing caused pain. At this point it has been healing for about 2 months.

Longwood
05-03-2011, 05:26 PM
For what its worth I found that a higher mould temp helped boolit release.

Von Gruff.

Thanks.
I read that last night but I thought they were talking about aluminum molds. I have a couple that were given to me but I don't use them. My molds that need a tap with the mallet, are cast-iron. I may try it next time though.
So what if my bullets come out a little frosty. I used to shoot the bullets in competition so I tried everything I heard to make for more accuracy but that is not much of an issue any more for the rifles that I shoot those particular bullets in.

BorderBrewer
05-03-2011, 08:24 PM
I wear boots, a hat, gloves, safety glasses, and a FR7 cloth welding jacket with leather sleeves over my shop apron while casting. Might be overkill, but I hate getting burned and for me worrying about injury detracts from the enjoyment of casting.

catmasher
05-03-2011, 09:47 PM
no gloves
safety glasses yes
been casting on and off for like 30 years,
stupid yes, some day I'll learn
oh, the last time at the Dr.'s office I had a special test for lead and it came back hardly on the chart, no worry the Dr. said....

catmasher

firefly1957
05-04-2011, 07:30 AM
wallenba that says attached thumb nail but looks like detached thumb nail?

wallenba
05-04-2011, 08:27 AM
wallenba that says attached thumb nail but looks like detached thumb nail?

I noticed that too. LOL (it's a 'pinky' too):lol:

Cowboy T
05-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Unless it's an "in extremis" situation, I will never, EVER cast without my protective gear. That includes not just full-up welding gloves, but also a full face shield, a leather jacket, thick denim or canvas pants, and hiking boots. The Tinsel Fairy came to visit me one time and splattered lead all over the front of me. But for my protective gear, I would've been hurt pretty badly.

NEVER without protective gear!!

Armorer
05-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Always leather gloves, and always safety glasses. Jeans, work boots and whatever shirt I happen to be wearing.

Armorer

cbrick
05-04-2011, 09:00 PM
I wear a glove on my right hand because as several people have already said, I'm simply not man enough to reach down and open the sprue plate without the glove. I wear safety glasses, long shirt & pants, alway wear shoes, never sandals etc.

A little something I recently learned about leather gloves. Was in the hardware store a while back and found a pair of pig skin leather work gloves. I tried them on and thought, wow, these are really comfortable so I bought them, at nearly 4 times what I normally pay for leather work gloves.

Three things I learned about these expensive gloves. 1> Pig skin heats up faster than cow skin. 2> pig skin holds that heat much longer than cow skin. 3> Pig skin does not wear as well as cow skin, rather quickly they are starting to show wear and thin spots making number 1 and number 2 even worse.

At least I still have the old gloves.

Rick

Mossy Nugget
05-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Welding gloves, long sleeve flannel shirt or denim jacket in winter. (unheated shed) jeans, high top work boots. ANSI Z87 glasses. I bought a pair of bifocal Uvex for $5 at work. I, uh, "have to" wear them, so they are always on my face in the shop anyway. Honda is one of the safest plants partly because if you get caught without your PPE, you are in some trouble. Got to be a habit after 20 years. Safety is one bit of work worth taking home with you. You should see my motorcycle gear after reading the Hurt Report:coffee:.

RugerFan
05-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Always leather gloves, and always safety glasses. Jeans, work boots and whatever shirt I happen to be wearing.

Armorer

Ditto (but not necessarily work boots although a good idea)

ke5ldo
05-04-2011, 10:41 PM
ALWAYS!! I have 3 sets of white Mules and switch out when they get warm.

a.squibload
05-05-2011, 12:35 AM
Today, after scraping a small splat of lead off my face shield,
I thought "Dang, should have taken a pic for CB".
It was right at eye level.

Welders gloves for me. Had plenty of welding slag burns (most on ankles,
one on my eye), but only tiny splatter burns from lead.
Sometimes I don't wear long sleeves,
could be a mistake if a drop goes down the cuff of a glove.
I stand while casting.

Southern Son
05-05-2011, 03:23 AM
Originally I used a pair of leather Riggers Gloves that had insulation on the inside. They were great but I litteraly worked my fingers through them so many times I couldn't repair them the last time. Then I bought two "Ove Gloves" from BACO. They make my hands a little more clumbsy (I cannot pick up a small sprue laying flat on the bench where I could have with the Riggers Gloves), but the "Ove Glove" are better insulated AND they go with my lucky casting G-String.

Bret4207
05-05-2011, 07:05 AM
I'd just like to offer the thought that some people are "Glove" people to start with. Same with the other PPE. Some people, my oldest boy for instance, seem to like to wear gloves for any kind of work. I don't. Never have. Some people seem to consider PPE part of the "uniform" they wear for casting or chainsawing or whatever, liek the folks that dote on their team or drivers jacket. It's just the difference in people I've sort of noticed over the years. I knew a guy that always seemed to have safety glasses on. He wore them the way some folks wear sunglasses, up on his head. Good for him, it worked for him.

To each their own.

Tracy
05-05-2011, 02:15 PM
I'd just like to offer the thought that some people are "Glove" people to start with.
To each their own.

I agree. I feel vulnerable doing most mechanical work without safety glasses, but I hate gloves. I wear them for some things, but mostly I go bare-handed.
I used to do a lot of caving. Other cavers were always asking me how I could cave without gloves. I carried one glove in my caving bag, and that was only for rappelling.

badgeredd
05-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Myself as a new caster "Dang these gloves suck!"

Myself when to much hot lead came forth from my mold" Ouch, oh,ooh *@#%$&**!"

Myself as an experienced caster " Where are those gloves? Oh there they are!"

Nuff said.

Edd

Mal Paso
05-05-2011, 08:57 PM
I wear a glove on my right hand because as several people have already said, I'm simply not man enough to reach down and open the sprue plate without the glove.

Rick

You can get Right Hand only Michael Jackson gloves on ebay for $2 right now!:kidding:

7of7
05-07-2011, 10:59 PM
I picked up an inexpensive pair of lightweight leather gloves. Not really for protection from the heat, more for the incidental splashes from dropping the sprues back into the Lee dripomatic. I have a taleen hammer that I use for opening the sprue plate, and then give it a couple taps.. (this is an adjustable core mold) I lay it on it's side, on a piece of aluminum that I made specifically for this purpose.. I should be using wood though.. -- note to self-- make wood plate for core mold.--
There, that should remind me.
I wear glasses, however, probably should use a face shield. but then again, I use one lb ingots in the pot, and I don't think splashing is going to be an issue...

welders apron.. next purchase from harbor freight..

HeavyMetal
05-08-2011, 12:38 AM
Leather glove on the right hand for opening sprue plates and dealing with HP pins.

Safety glass of course! As a lefty I use that hand for fine pick up and other such delicate work while casting. I do keep the left glove handy incase I need to use both hands for some special job.

Over the years I have gotten my share of little burns, strangely on the right fore arm, but nothing ever bigger than a pin prick. Pre planning your casting session to make sure you got all the surprise covered sure helps the saftey gear along!

9.3X62AL
05-08-2011, 01:22 AM
I "suit up" for casting or smelting. Yeah, gloves can limit dexterity--but gloves have kept my hands unburned on at least two occasions that readily come to mind. Compared to the Michelin Man suit-up I used to do for meth and PCP labs, getting geared for casting is a walk in the park.

Tim357
05-10-2011, 11:09 PM
gloves only when pouring pot remnants or smelting ingots.

Suo Gan
05-10-2011, 11:48 PM
Hmmmm Mr. Loverin is wearing a suit and tye, glasses, and nooo firewood gloves. The picture of Keith he wasn't even wearing glasses.

And even Louisiana bigfoot cast without gloves, as seen in this rare photo...

finishman2000
05-12-2011, 08:42 AM
smelting yes, makin' boolits no

bhn22
05-12-2011, 10:41 PM
No gloves? how do you cut the sprue? Please don't tell me that you're beating your moulds with a stick!!!???

huntnman
05-13-2011, 12:47 AM
did'nt use to,20 years ago,getting back into casting, but I will now. thanks for teaching old dog new tricks

Cowboy T
05-13-2011, 02:40 AM
Today, after scraping a small splat of lead off my face shield,
I thought "Dang, should have taken a pic for CB".
It was right at eye level.

Welders gloves for me. Had plenty of welding slag burns (most on ankles,
one on my eye), but only tiny splatter burns from lead.
Sometimes I don't wear long sleeves,
could be a mistake if a drop goes down the cuff of a glove.
I stand while casting.

Yep, that about echoes my experience. I don't find gloves or the face shield cumbersome at all, and even if I did, better that than burns from 700 degree lead.

ihmsakiwi
05-13-2011, 02:46 AM
+1 on gloves, mine are a pair of relatively thin welders gloves. Went "commando" a couple of weeks ago and got a splash on my wrist which has just stpped scabbing. Peter.

williamwaco
05-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Long sleeves, long pants, shoes, eye protection, alas - no gloves while casting.
Shoes were the hardest lesson to learn. Don't know how many hot bullets I stepped on before learning that lesson.

I occasionally get burns but nothing serious. I have one right now about half the size of a dime on the back of my hand. Didn't come from the actual casting but carelessly laying my hand on a recently dropped bullet. ( Yes, mother. I shoulda had a glove on.)

I NEVER drop anything into the pot so splashing occurs only when fluxing.

You asked about casting. That is not the complete story.

I do wear a glove on my stirring hand when fluxing. I use paraffin to flux. I do not have a thermometer so the paraffin is my temperature gauge. If the fumes don't ignite, the metal is not hot enough. I have no idea what the temperature is but I learned this rule of thumb from an old-timer who learned to cast in the 1930s. It worked for him and it has worked for me for many years.

I put sprue cuttings into the ingot mold under the bottom pour spout and "weld" them together. Return the sprue/ingots and add new ingots with vice grip pliers.

Occasionally on a long session, sprues accumulate. I put them in a box and save them. I then add them to the pot as "kindling" next time I start it up. They reduce the melt time from a cold pot significantly.

Three44s
05-14-2011, 09:45 AM
The tinsel fairy knows no friends!

Gloves ........... yes.

Three 44s

Echo
05-18-2011, 12:34 PM
I wear work gloves for casting AND for smelting. Always. I pick up the sprues and return to the pot as soon as possible, and I'm not man enough to do it bare-handed.

Suo Gan
05-19-2011, 03:54 AM
I wear work gloves for casting AND for smelting. Always. I pick up the sprues and return to the pot as soon as possible, and I'm not man enough to do it bare-handed.

You have to move FAST!!

Are you guys really using that tiny sprue plate...the one designed to be whacked with a mallet and use your poor hand and wrists? Do you place your hammer head on the nail and smash it with your gloved fist to drive the nail too? Saves a lot of wear on the hammer but not your HANDS! OUCH!

geargnasher
05-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Yep, really we are. The key is to flick the sprue plate open right as the sprue stops moving and "hazes" over, it's firm enough to cut win little effort but not molten enough to smear.

Gear

Pertsev
05-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Gloves,yes,thin for casting,welder gloves for smelting. Glasses,YES ! Suprised someone here admitted to NOT wearing glasses.Have seen this sort of stupidity in the workplace before,sometimes with very bad results.Flip flops when casting ?? Same as wearing flip flops when riding a motorcycle...............

sirgknight
05-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Never used gloves for casting, but have always used thick, long welding gloves when working with the big pot for making ingots. I cast from a sitting position and always cover my legs and feet with a large, thick beach towel; this protects from any accidental splatters or drips. I also wear glasses. I flux with small pieces of candles and those sometimes act like little shooting stars as they are melting on top of the lead. I don't "beat" on my mold but I do lightly tap the sprue with a large wooden dowel. I usually cast with two molds at the same time, even different calibers. Been casting for about five years now and (knock on wood) have not had any problems. I do, however, take my time when melting and casting. If I can't take my leizure when I do this, I just don't do it. One small note: I have designed a casting shelf that holds the bottom pour pot, sprue ingots, and cast bullets. I sit right up against this shelf so that everything is right in front of me. The pot is bolted to this shelf so that it cannot be accidentally bumped and spilled. When water-dropping I have a 5-gallon bucket off to the side half filled with water so that I have to slightly turn away from the pot to drop the bullets. No splash can reach the pot.

shooterg
05-24-2011, 02:20 PM
Gloves, smelting AND casting. The lead isn't any cooler when casting.

Clinebo
06-02-2011, 09:21 PM
[QUOTE=BruceB;1255531]In my industry (mining) it's called "PPE"...Personal Protective Equipment. Its use is MANDATED by law and regulation. This stuff saves thousands of workers from injury or death every year.

We may go along for years without really needing the insurance provided by such gear....but when the NEED arises, there will be NO TIME to re-think the issue. If you're not wearing it when the eventuality arrives, you are in for a WORLD of pain, and possibly scarring, crippling or blindness.

WEAR THE GEAR!

Like Bruce, I worked in an industry that pushed safety,(paper mill). We had monthly safety meetings and several times guys would talk about how they were saved by wearing thier PPE. One of the slogans was "Take 2 for Safety". Before starting any job you were supposed to take a minute or two and think about doing the job safely. It worked and our accident rate dropped. It only takes a second to lose an eye, or get burned.
So Take 2, and be safe out there!

montana_charlie
06-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Yep, really we are. The key is to flick the sprue plate open right as the sprue stops moving and "hazes" over, it's firm enough to cut win little effort but not molten enough to smear.

Gear
I count to see how long it takes the sprue to solidify and change color. Once the count gets up to 'six' I have reached operating temperture, and no longer count that segment of the cadence.

When the sprue freezes and changes, I start counting. I will cut the sprue at 'thirty' and drop the bullet at 'forty'. Those time periods keeps my mould at the right temperature and prevent 'sprue craters'.
Even after waiting thirty seconds, the sprue cuts easily. I invert the mould, grip the plate in my palm, and turn it like opening an upside down jar.
All of the sprue and excess lead ends up lying in my palm.

My gloved hand is on the plate for a count of about 'two', and it takes another second to dump the scrap in the pot.

The gloves are uninsulated 'drivers' made of buckskin. I use them for everything from loading hay to fixing fence. As long as you don't hold a piece of hot lead for more than about three seconds, the leather never gets hot enough to be uncomfortable.

CM

a.squibload
06-03-2011, 03:25 AM
CM:
Steel or brass molds, right?
Seems like a long time for aluminum.
I've been getting those craters in the base, maybe I should slow down.
When I get done casting there are sprues all over the place,
I'll try your upside-down jar method.

Shooter6br
06-03-2011, 07:00 AM
Check out MP molds U tube video on casting using gloves to open the spure plate. i tried it and like not hiiting the spure at all i use a aw hide mallet so i dont think it is bad forthe mold

montana_charlie
06-04-2011, 10:18 AM
CM:
Steel or brass molds, right?
Yes, iron.
I have a couple of large block aluminum NEI's, but I haven't cast with them since learning this cadence.

CM

Slainte
06-06-2011, 03:38 AM
Gloves, Safety Glasses, Apron, Safety shoes are a must for me.
I don't like the pain !

LAH
06-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Glove on right hand with Master Pot. No glove with Master Caster. Very, very few burns the last 38 years.

donaldjr1969
06-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Hello everybody. Boolit noob here. While I am not casting, I plan to start when I am done with school next year and hopefully back into the workforce.

Anyway, I chose gloves because I plan to use them when I do cast. When I was a freshman in high school (1983-1984), I was one of the select few my metal shop teacher permitted to pour molten aluminum when we did sandcasting. Obviously it was a safety requirement not only for holding the handles on the crucible, but for pulling the crucible out of the furnace. I have never had any grip issues while pouring the heavy crucible so I know it would not cause any grip issues holding a boolit mold.

XWrench3
06-21-2011, 09:58 PM
i can not even imagine casting without gloves. if you have ever had even a small visit from the tinsel fairy, you would never think about working without gloves again.

kappy
07-09-2011, 10:47 PM
I'm in the minority. I learned without gloves, and I've been using 2-cavity molds, which have an easy-to-break sprue. I just take a hammer handle, place it against the sprue plate and push it. If you're fast enough, it isn't hard. After a few casts, I gather the sprues up on a spoon and dump them carefully.

I've been burned a time or two. Mostly tiny spatters which hit my hands.I think I have about five total of those burns. I currently have one big blister in the middle of my right thumb where I was tossing in some sprues and didn't realize that one was VERY fresh. I ran inside yelling "WATER! WATER! ICE IN WATER!" The wife got the message.

I also typically wear short sleeves, shorts, and sandals. Crazy, yes... but it's a touch warm where I am, especially in the garage, especially in the summer, especially with a hot pot.

AaronJ
07-13-2011, 01:47 AM
I wore out a set of mechanics gloves I got from the snap on truck. The finger tips and palms where leather but the back was cloth so they breathed wonderfully and where not as clumsy feeling as welding gloves. Also the velcro cuff prevented lead splater from my drip o matic from getting under the glove. If the stiching between the leather and cloth had'nt blown out in several places I would still be using them.

Floydster
07-14-2011, 05:04 PM
I use Kevlar Titanic overalls with Cobalt impregnated heat shield incorporated in the outer lining for my body, on my head I use a Flash Point welding hood and on my hands I use Nasa high heat gloves and I keep my feet covered with an anti burn cloth.
Haven't had a burn yet.

pistolman44
07-18-2011, 11:18 PM
I use one glove to hold the mold handles and the other non glove hand to hold the wooden sprue knocker.

Patrick L
08-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Always gloves.

I wear fairly light weight gloves when casting so that my dexterity is not compromised. I am using them pretty much to guard against splatter and accidently brushing against something hot, so they don't need to be super heavy. I used to use those brown cotton Jersey gloves, but found out the hard way they are not 100% cotton, and heat and polyester don't go well together. Next I tried a pair of lightweight cotton garden gloves and they worked fine. Then about 3 years ago I came across a pair of very lightweight lined leather work gloves. I really like these.

I use heavy duty work gloves when smelting, as I find I really don't need a lot of fine motor dexterity for that.

Nueces
08-09-2011, 10:18 PM
I use military issue flying gloves, soft leather palm side and Nomex back, long enough to cover the wrist. Good comfort and "tactility."

Mark

xringdave
08-13-2011, 02:58 PM
glasses, no gloves and a fan.

wellfedirishman
08-13-2011, 04:28 PM
I use heavy leather gloves, safety glasses, and heavy work clothes and boots. Hot lead burns like nobody's business. I had my cellphone out one time and a little splatter fell on it on melted the screen.

I only ever cast outdoors where there is a breeze to minimize fumes.

Shooter6br
08-13-2011, 06:02 PM
I no long "wack" the spur plate I wear welding gloves and open the plate with the gloved hand. Has to be easier on the mold .Faster also

KCSO
08-13-2011, 10:01 PM
No gloves but I do have several moulds converted by a buddy to open with a lever attached to the sprue plate. Just grab the knob and push. I once dropped a goober of hot lead down the cuff of a glove and figure I got burned worse than if it had just dropped on and fell off.

a.squibload
08-17-2011, 10:40 PM
...I had my cellphone out one time and a little splatter fell on it on melted the screen...

Last time I cast I got a call on my cell, reached in my pocket and found that
the phone was HOT, guess I stand close to the flame.

One of the worst burns I got from welding was small, but would have been better
if the spatter hadn't fallen down my boot. Nothing to do but let it cool down.
And jump around a bit...

mdi
08-19-2011, 12:33 PM
I've been a H.D. mechanic for nearly 30 years and my hands have become pretty beat up and tough (my wife says my fingers look like Farmer John's sausages), so I don't use gloves...

whd45
08-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Glasses and welding gloves and boots.

John Boy
08-19-2011, 01:01 PM
This is the most STUPID question thus far about casting!
If no gloves are the preference, why not just strip down naked with no safety glasses either. Take your chances, like playing a lottery: Not If but When If!
Plus I guess those bang the sprue plate with the stick instead of glove handing to cut the sprue puddle

mold maker
08-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Back in the late 60s I had a cast on my lower leg with an open toe. Just had to cast some boolits, and dropped a fresh slug. Guess where it landed. It stuck and wouldn't kick away. Wound up having part of the cast removed to accommodate the infection from the burn.
It all healed up, but it hurt like HE!! and took forever.
Lesson learned, I haven't left anything exposed to hot lead since. Yep I look funny to those who don't know. Nope I don't care. Long cotton clothes, welders gloves and a cotton hat with a brim are always there with boots and glasses. Been over 50 years and I still remember the pain caused by carelessness.

odfairfaxsub
08-19-2011, 02:38 PM
the mold handles on my stuff gets really really hot. i would say the guys on here that don't use gloves prob don't cast as many bullets as me because i run the whole pot non stop, they prob have to stop and cool the mold down to go back at it. no offense but its easy for me to wear gloves b/c its required saftey gear at work but youll be sorry when it burns into your skin and your trying like hell to get to the hospital.

mdi
08-20-2011, 12:18 PM
If no gloves are the preference, why not just strip down naked with no safety glasses either. Take your chances, like playing a lottery: Not If but When If!
Plus I guess those bang the sprue plate with the stick instead of glove handing to cut the sprue puddle

Really judgemental reply! I'm sure you wear steel toed shoes to go to the market; you never know when, not if, you drop a can of beans on your toes. When you drive to work, do you wear your helmet? Most auto accidents are within 25 miles of home. Do you wear eye protection and gloves when you fry yer eggs? Grease burns can be really bad! And of course you wear rubber soled shoes and a helmet in the shower/bath 'cause falls and head injuries in the shower and/or bath tub are very common!

LAH
08-20-2011, 05:14 PM
the mold handles on my stuff gets really really hot. i would say the guys on here that don't use gloves prob don't cast as many bullets as me because i run the whole pot non stop, they prob have to stop and cool the mold down to go back at it. no offense but its easy for me to wear gloves b/c its required saftey gear at work but youll be sorry when it burns into your skin and your trying like hell to get to the hospital.

Day after day I've run 50 to 70 pounds of alloy through my Magma Pot using 3 moulds in rotation. I've never had handles hot enough they even began to be unconfortable. As for burns? Only been burnt by very small drops of lead usually while adding sprues to the pot.

I have nothing against those who wear gloves. I wear one on my right hand because the base of the Master Pot is hot enough it will burn my thumb. If it weren't for that I wouldn't wear that glove either. Just my 2.

Tom-ADC
08-20-2011, 06:02 PM
As noted gloves plus all the other safety gear. I even wear a welding apron.

Inkman
08-23-2011, 09:47 PM
I attract lead. At the range, a person can be shooting at steel 25 yds away and that little fragment will find my skin someway, somehow. My shooting glasses have saved my eyesight numerous times.

Now that i'm casting? I wear gloves and safety glasses.

Like i said. I attract lead.

Al

bigjason6
08-24-2011, 08:45 AM

Sometimes when I'm feeling especially manly... I'll cast in a speedo, open the sprue plate with my teeth, and quench fresh boolits on my tongue!

Iron Mike Golf
08-24-2011, 09:26 PM
I wear a glove on my right hand for manipulating the sprue plate and handling hot sprues and boolits

LAH
08-25-2011, 06:35 PM

I don't understand why you think the question is stupid. The question is straight forward: Do you wear gloves while casting?

And what does not wearing gloves have to do with getting naked while casting? I don't wear gloves except were needed. I don't drive with them, cut firewood, load firewood, operate equipment, shoot, load ammo, fire the furance, grease, change oil or anything else unless they are needed. And when I get naked I find no use for them. HEE HEE

The problem I have with gloves............heat, hot hands. I will wear them but not that often. I may be the expection though as every one on my crew wear them but me. I'll be 61 shortly so I probably won't change. But like I said John Boy I have nothing at all against those who cast with gloves.

hiram1
08-28-2011, 07:23 PM
yes gloves you cant shoot if you get a hand burned and you will if you dont use gloves. this is all about being safe

Moonie
08-31-2011, 12:22 PM
No gloves, and I open the sprue by hand... Wait, that's not right.

a.squibload
09-01-2011, 03:14 AM
No gloves, and I open the sprue by hand... Wait, that's not right.

"YEEEOW! Couple more good ones.

YOWOWOW! Those look good.

AAARGH!" Etc., etc...

TXGunNut
09-04-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm quite surprised by how many experienced casters don't wear gloves. I think maybe I'm not wearing enough glove as mine are non-insulated leather and I sometimes have to shuck them after handling something a bit too hot a bit too long. I've made good use of PPE more than once so I know I'm just not careful or lucky enough to get away with not using it, but that's my choice. I don't always wear long sleeves and have learned how long a 3rd degree burn takes to heal. Had a splatter land on top of my close-cropped head during my first casting session, headgear now mandatory for me as well.

Sonnypie
09-06-2011, 03:11 AM
I'm new to this.
I've tried both ways.
And with my heavy welding gloves I've found cutting the sprue to be real easy. I was really surprised how easy.
I like that better than whacking my mold with a hammer handle.
But only the right glove. I can't properly handle the mold and handles with both of the heavy gloves. I'm considering trying one of my heliarc gloves on the left hand.

And I hate wearing gloves! Absolutely hate them!
But for this, it makes the process easier and I think a bit faster.

a.squibload
09-08-2011, 01:14 AM
Me too, I used to whack the plate, thought that was how it's supposed to be.
Pushing it just scissors the sprue right off.

TXGunNut
09-09-2011, 09:53 PM
I do a lot of cooking and my hands need very little protection for normal kitchen temps, I can get a little careless aboout glove use in the kitchen. If I make the same mistake with molten lead I'd be seriously injured. I tried casting with one glove, was nervous enough that it was a distraction. Can't use the welding gloves well enough but may need to find some that fit better, had some mild burns thru normal work gloves. I like the posts about opening sprue plates with a welding glove, think I need to find a good pair.

dagger dog
09-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Smelting I got gloves ON !

Casting I'm trying to get into the habit of KEEPING THEM ON, but once I get into the "zone" or what ever you want to call it, I'll grab that sprue plate with a bare hand and ! ^%#(*!,
I don't remember removing the glove!

But I voted gloves

Benji40
09-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Always, safety glasses and boots too.

Benji40
09-13-2011, 04:13 PM
OK, direct me to the thread on sprue cutting, yes so far I have whacked it.

a.squibload
09-15-2011, 03:34 AM
Do a search, not sure there is a thread just on sprue cutting,
but I remember someone posted about adding handles to their sprue plates.
After reading that I considered it, but haven't had any trouble pushing
sprue plates with a gloved hand.

Bret4207
09-15-2011, 07:25 AM

I find your childish response to be insulting and juvenile. If you desire to dress up like an astronaut or deep sea diver just to cast a few boolits, be my guest. I'll do it my way and should I get burned I won't come whining to you. BTW- I've been whacking my sprue plates with a rawhide mallet for over 30 years with no damage. I suppose there should be a law against that?

LAH
09-15-2011, 09:55 AM
BTW- I've been whacking my sprue plates with a rawhide mallet for over 30 years with no damage.

I've also cast a few in my time but I use a hardwood stick, handle, club or whatever & like you, no damage.....

Hickory
09-15-2011, 10:05 AM
I'll do it my way and should I get burned I won't come whining to you.

I love people who will take responsibility for
their own actions, we see so little of this now days.

David2011
09-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Gloves and Bull Plate Lube. I was taught to use a rawhide mallet or hardwood handle. Now that I have Bull Plate in the shop, the mallet or hammer handle (NO HEAD ATTACHED!) are rarely needed. Safety glasses are also mandatory for me.

David

cumminsnut76
09-15-2011, 11:29 AM
I do not use either but that is personal preference, you just have to be careful- all the protection in the world cannot keep you safe if you are an idiot!

Bob Krack
09-16-2011, 08:14 PM
I can't vote because one glove - most of the time - is not a choice.

I NORMALLY use a right hand glove to cut the sprue and then wipe the bottom of the plate - and to verify alignment of the blocks. Left hand bare.

I made a leather covered piece of ash from a tamp handle. Works terrific for "whacking" the sprue of the occasional tough to open blocks, like when I let them get too cool.

Bob

metweezer
09-20-2011, 08:13 AM
GLOVES! You're crazy if you are not using them. & a full face shield.

Bret4207
09-26-2011, 07:41 AM
GLOVES! You're crazy if you are not using them. & a full face shield.

...and a leather welders jacket with a neck guard and a leather apron over that and a Nomex fire suit covering everything including your steel toed boots. Better not forget the respirator and 2 way comm with mission control!

Some people simply take all the joy out of life. Reminds me of the guy n a tractor forum wanted to put deadman switches, ROPS, angle detectors and a whole mess of other useless krap on a late 40's farm tractor. Just makes me shake my head.

But then, I'm crazy........

metweezer
09-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Bret,
Golves? Yes because your hands are only 4" away from molten liquid that is 700 degrees. Full face shield? Yes because safety glasses won't do much to protect your face in the event that the tinsel fairy is aiming for it. The only part of your dissertation that I agree with is what is quoted below.
Steve :bigsmyl2:

But then, I'm crazy........

juniorsonic
09-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Gloves. Absolutely. Every time. (I think anyone who has been burned by molten lead - even a LITTLE bit ....and only ONCE - would subscribe to this religiously).

LAH
09-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Gloves. Absolutely. Every time. (I think anyone who has been burned by molten lead - even a LITTLE bit ....and only ONCE - would subscribe to this religiously).

Been burned a few times. Only once that really took some time to heal. Still I only wear one glove. I've cast for years in tennis shoes & tee shirts but if it makes everyone feel better I don't wear shorts at the lead pot.

juniorsonic;1409473..........your post was kind. You didn't call me stupid or crazy. Others seem to think I am but for the life of me I can't understand how anyone can cast with all that stuff on their body without being in a very cool room. My problem is HEAT. My casting sessions tend to go 4 or 5 hours, running 3 or 4 moulds. I don't/can't stop except for a drink of water or to pee. Yes I said pee, sorry.

My casting place isn't air conditioned so the less I have on the better for me it is. Along these lines I've used many pounds of welding rods in a tee shirt. The only time I wore gloves or a long sleeve shirt was when it was cold outside or doing overhead welds. Same with the cutting torch though I do wear gloves each time I pick one of those bad boys up.

I've been burned my share of times. But a burn outside a 3rd degree isn't something I fear. I don't want to be burned but I also don't want to spend hours in my own sweat with no where for that sweat to go. A little first aid goes a long ways for the simple burns & a little common sense goes a long ways to prevent bad ones.

So I've been burned. Also been cut a few times with a chainsaw but don't wear gloves or chaps when using one of those either...........Why????? I don't like the HEAT. You guys that wear all this stuff & suggest others do so...........that's fine, but please don't look down your nose 'cause I don't. I'm really a good guy & even wear a seat belt..........most the time.

KCSO
09-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Ever have a gloob drop down your glove? No Gloves.

Jon K
09-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Ever have a gloob drop down your glove? No Gloves.

Get longer gloves!

No Gloves = NUTS...

Jon

Bret4207
09-27-2011, 05:53 PM
In 30+ years of casting I've had my share of minor burns. The nicest gloves I've had for casting were cotton masons gloves, but I just can't feel what I'm doing wearing gloves. As I said in another post, if I get burned bad some day casting bare handed without a space suit on, I promise I won't come crying to anyone else. But the safety Nazis are just sucking the life and fun out of everything these days. I refuse to participate in the chickification of America. So no gloves or face mask when casting, often no helmet or chaps when chainsawing, no foolish helmet when riding a bike or horse and if I could get them I'd still be playing lawn darts. Call me crazy, call me whatever you want, but people have got to stop trying to Mommy us to death.

phaessler
09-27-2011, 07:22 PM
I wear nitrile gloves under my heat resistant gloves(welding gloves).
I figure I can at least have a semi clean hand if natures calls while casting.
That and I have a fear of lead ingestion....

Bret4207
09-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Kinda like wearing 2 condoms, just in case?

Baron von Trollwhack
09-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Without a doubt, some of us need full safety gear and probably robotics to mold with safety. Some shouldn't mold at all. Others more adept, more knowing, more conscious,have no trouble molding and none is likely.

Like the feller balancing 20 pounds of molten lead on top of a propane throway bottle burner with a cheap setup. Alas, we have shooters like that too, and drivers, and peers on the job.

Walk away from obvious hazards in a hobby no matter the circumstances, if you cannot manage them.

BvT

waksupi
09-28-2011, 03:15 PM
I can see some of the guys on this topic, need to stay COMPLETELY away from a blacksmith shop. There are things in there that make lead look super cooled.
Might get burned.

LAH
09-28-2011, 09:04 PM
I can see some of the guys on this topic, need to stay COMPLETELY away from a blacksmith shop. There are things in there that make lead look super cooled.
Might get burned.

Stop it yer killin' me. HEE HEE

Moonman
09-29-2011, 06:55 AM
Safety needs to be a Way of Life in your thoughts and actions. Knowledge learned from the past was learned at the expense and blood of others, why add your blood to it?

Rambo and Mall Ninja thinking towards the subject of SAFETY will lead to PAIN and SUFFERING by the subject and their loved ones needlessly at sometime in their life.

BE SAFE-NOT SORRY.

Bret4207
09-29-2011, 07:35 AM
See, in a way I agree Moonman, but there are degrees to everything. I recall a picture that was posted here somewhere of a guy rendering down lead, outside, wearing a complete leather outfit and a respirator. I mean, come on. You stand up wind and that's all you need for fresh air. I've seen other pictures of people wearing welders gloves and TRYING to cast. Of course they can't feel anything anything and can't understand why their boolits are dropping different sizes. If those little speckles of alloy on your hands bother you, light cotton masons gloves work just fine for that. Big leather gauntlets invite drops of lead to fall down into the cuff when you're fumbling around trying to grasp the mould handles.

I'm a big believer in seatbelts, but that doesn't mean a 6 point harness and a helmet are required.

Moonman
09-29-2011, 08:55 AM
Most people have never been tested for elevated lead levels in their body. People who Cast, and especially those who shoot at INDOOR ranges should have their Body Lead Levels checked. A couple people at my indoor gun club shoot wearing FULL RESPIRATORS due to their elevated lead levels.

Some people need SIX POINT SAFETY BELTS and HELMETS because they try to approach everything they do in life at 300MPH, which is not always the smart approach to things.:!::!::drinks:

mold maker
09-29-2011, 10:52 AM
I've had these hands for near 70 years and would like to use them till the end. There have been several times when lack of attention or just plain luck caused injury. The next time wont be because I didn't wear gloves appropriate for the job.

Nope,,, it doesn't add to the dexterity. Yep,,,, it is awkward to some extent. So is a deep burn, when it could be so easily avoided.

If you feel that it's OK to wear synthetic shorts, no shirt, flip flops, and no gloves, it's your party.

I have rendered (smelted) and cast literally tons of scrap lead, and common sense has kept my blood lead level at low normal, and me burn free.

I try to never influence a newbie to start out foolishly. You can always take gloves off, but a serious burn, lasts a long long time.

jlchucker
09-29-2011, 11:26 AM
I use a pair of leather-trimmed work gloves, and a face shield over my bifocals. I've always done it this way. I used to wear those plastic safety glasses, but since attaining the age of geezerhood, I need bifocals, and the face shield gives me and the bifocals satisfactory protection. I've got two cats that I feed. I don't need the added expense of feeding a seeing-eye dog too. I find Moonman's comments interesting. The first foreman's job that I was assigned when I worked at the New Haven Winchester ammo plant in the early 1970's was in the lead shop. This was pretty much pre-OSHA, and even then, the company mandated those working in that department to get checked for evidence of lead poisoning--every 6 months, as I remember. I do my smelting and casting outdoors, in the late spring, summer, and early fall--on sunny days. For me it's safety first.

Suo Gan
09-29-2011, 02:21 PM
I no long "wack" the spur plate I wear welding gloves and open the plate with the gloved hand. Has to be easier on the mold .Faster also

There is nothing faster about using your hand. To me this is like wanting to use your hands for eating everything because you might wear out your fork. And then telling everyone it is much faster and better and silly to want to wear out your fork when you can use your hands. I don't think it is faster using your hands when breaking a sprue, but I don't really care either because it is ultimately EASIER ON ME! As the aches and pains of life creep up on you, those are words to live by. I wish someone would have told me that I could replace tools when I was younger rather than using my body as a buffer to save wear and tear on them...what about wear and tear on me? Ahhh, to be young and dumb again! As they say ignorance is bliss, I am living proof.

cast405
10-01-2011, 01:50 AM
glove on my left hand for spru plate ,boots ,glasses ,coveralls no burns yet want to keep it that way.

montana_charlie
10-01-2011, 01:11 PM
To me, safety gear is used to prevent injuries caused by things that can't be controlled.

When I weld on something, I grab the helmet because the dark lens is required to protect vision. There is no way to control the brightness of the welding arc.
I also don my buckskin gloves because my hands are right close to the spatter which can't be controlled ... only avoided.

Lead doesn't splash due to some uncontrollable factor. Neither does it blow out of the pot nor dribble on your feet.
It only does those things when the 'operator' forgets to control the environment.

If you use safety gear to protect you from every direction, you quickly learn that you no longer have to pay attention to what you are doing. That is when people get killed or injured by things even their safety gear can't handle.

CM

Moonman
10-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Safety gear protects you from ACCIDENTS, which are sometimes caused by others or unforeseen
circumstances along with your own choices or actions.

juniorsonic
10-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Been burned a few times. Only once that really took some time to heal. Still I only wear one glove. I've cast for years in tennis shoes & tee shirts but if it makes everyone feel better I don't wear shorts at the lead pot.

juniorsonic;1409473..........your post was kind. You didn't call me stupid or crazy. Others seem to think I am but for the life of me I can't understand how anyone can cast with all that stuff on their body without being in a very cool room. My problem is HEAT. My casting sessions tend to go 4 or 5 hours, running 3 or 4 moulds. I don't/can't stop except for a drink of water or to pee. Yes I said pee, sorry.

I just call it as I see it as far as a simple opinion goes. You will find that I am not one of these keyboard commando types that seem to feel they need to be less than civil and just plain RUDE to feel that they are somehow better, or have control (or the "upper hand") in a situation. These types are just pathetic & sad individuals. I recently made a statement here that I thought a man-sized target could not be seen with the naked eye at 1,700 yards (based on my experience with 1,000-yd. shooting). Turns out I may have been mistaken. Of course, someone (a MODERATOR, no less!) felt that it was necessary to comment on my post by saying "Get your eyes checked." So, you won't find that kind of BS coming from this camp....it's unseemly. Anyway, my take on the eye/skin protection thing is that whatever works for you in terms of safety is GTG. If you are truly comfortable with your level of cover & have been doing it (cautiously & "hazard-free") forever, than the more power to you! It doesn't make you any less "intelligent" or "sane" if it works for you and nobody sees any harm from it.

waksupi
10-02-2011, 10:30 AM
I just call it as I see it as far as a simple opinion goes. You will find that I am not one of these keyboard commando types that seem to feel they need to be less than civil and just plain RUDE to feel that they are somehow better, or have control (or the "upper hand") in a situation. These types are just pathetic & sad individuals. I recently made a statement here that I thought a man-sized target could not be seen with the naked eye at 1,700 yards (based on my experience with 1,000-yd. shooting). Turns out I may have been mistaken. Of course, someone (a MODERATOR, no less!) felt that it was necessary to comment on my post by saying "Get your eyes checked." So, you won't find that kind of BS coming from this camp....it's unseemly. Anyway, my take on the eye/skin protection thing is that whatever works for you in terms of safety is GTG. If you are truly comfortable with your level of cover & have been doing it (cautiously & "hazard-free") forever, than the more power to you! It doesn't make you any less "intelligent" or "sane" if it works for you and nobody sees any harm from it.

So, which part of the suggestion to get your eyes checked was out of line? My eyes aren't the best in the world, but I can certainly see a target of any decent size at 1700 yards. A man size target is quite distinct. If you are going to feel insulted, pick another reason.
Anyone who has hunted the western plains, have watched antelope at several miles away, same with elk. I'd never shoot at game that far, but the individuals are certainly obvious.

LAH
10-02-2011, 03:15 PM

Thank you Sir...........well said.

juniorsonic
10-04-2011, 07:38 PM
So, which part of the suggestion to get your eyes checked was out of line? My eyes aren't the best in the world, but I can certainly see a target of any decent size at 1700 yards. A man size target is quite distinct. If you are going to feel insulted, pick another reason.

I wasn't the least bit insulted. An invisible stranger behind a keyboard has zero ability to cause me any type of personal "distress," which is exactly what "feeling insulted" is. However, your little comment was snippy and rude. Period. No argument about it.

Thank you Sir...........well said.

You are very welcome. And I agree.

Dave18
10-06-2011, 09:50 PM
there are some molds that I can go without gloves and never get burned;-)

Moonman
10-07-2011, 08:17 AM
Safety First would require ALL THAT WORK WITH MOLTEN METALS SHOULD WEAR SAFETY EQUIPMENT ALWAYS.

This is actually just Common Sense, not a Macho Trip, accidents can and do happen, it's better to be safe than sorry.

BURNS from molten metal can be extremely painful, damaging and slow healing.

mold maker
10-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Safety First would require ALL THAT WORK WITH MOLTEN METALS SHOULD WEAR SAFETY EQUIPMENT ALWAYS.

This is actually just Common Sense, not a Macho Trip, accidents can and do happen, it's better to be safe than sorry.

BURNS from molten metal can be extremely painful, damaging and slow healing.

As a teen ager with an open toe cast, I closely watched a radio repairman, as he did some circuit repair. He carefully drew solder from a connection and slung it, off the solder gun tip.
Guess where it landed.
Have you ever seen a one legged man at an kicking contest???
Now I don't blame him for doing what he always did, cause it's his shop.
I don't blame the Dr. for leaving my toes exposed.
I can't blame the molten solder for the direction it took.
I can only say that it was an unforeseen accident with serious results.
That half pea sized blob, slithered between my toes and back under the arch of my foot, where it sizzled till my foot cooled it off.
I had to have the cast removed to treat the 3 degree burn, and my ankle healed long before the burn.
That's the kind of thing that can happen to the unprotected, and unprepared.
If ya want to take chances, do it with cards or marbles, but never with 700+ degree liquid metal, or the tools used with it.

masscaster
10-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Hi Folks,
I actually cast with One glove on.

My hand that holds the mould is glovless. This allows for good mould control, as well as being able to feel how hot the mould is running.
This also makes it easier to pick up any tools off the bench when needed.

The gloved hand is for stirring the pot, adding preheated ingots, and sliding sprue.
This also means during any lubing of the mould, allen wrench use etc. the hand is always protected.

I never slow for Gloves On, Gloves Off.

It's not possible for me to answer the voting part of the Poll without voting for each.

[smilie=s:
Jeff

Moonman
10-07-2011, 11:10 AM
It's AMAZING, being 1/2 SAFE. I worked in industry for decades and I've seen it all. Some people simply DO NOT LISTEN OR FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. SAFETY IS NOT A 1/2 WAY MEASURE.

Safety and Laws were enacted because they were PAID FOR with the blood of many, Why would you even risk 1 glove, 1/2 safe, or consider adding your blood to the ones that went before you.

Accidents happen, Heaven forbid that you would have a seizure, major Charlie- Horse, or a Heart Attack while casting and what the potential result could turn out to be from the Molten Metals Proximity to you.

masscaster
10-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Moonman,
To each his own.
I don't recall reading anywhere in this post about otheres ridiculing anyone for their ckoices, or methods.
After 35 years of casting this way with no incidents to my casting hand, i'd say it works good for me.
The only accident up to this point with my method is you!
If you want to wear a fire rescue outfit, with a fresh air feed, Fine.
Or sit and worry about your catastrophic body malfunction, Fine.

Moonman = Added to "My Ignore List" (Reason: Meaningless Babble)

Jeff

garbear
10-07-2011, 01:12 PM
I don't usaully where gloves. when I do it is a lite weight cotton glove. I know I am taking a chance but I like feel what I am doing. I know some will say you'll feel the burn and yes that can happen. I won't where gloves for much of anything. The only time I would wear them is when I worked in the oil field. Company policy for teh fracturing company I worked for. I hated it worse then the crappy weather conditions.
Garbear

Springfield
10-07-2011, 03:04 PM
For the guys who don't like to wear gloves, maybe these would be a good compromise. I found them to be too thin as I am used to using 2 Ove' Gloves.
http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=713494

waksupi
10-07-2011, 09:57 PM
I just can't seem to work up a big panic about not wearing gloves.

jonas302
10-07-2011, 10:25 PM
No gloves for me thanks defiantly a personal choice

Bret4207
10-08-2011, 08:25 AM
It's AMAZING, being 1/2 SAFE. I worked in industry for decades and I've seen it all. Some people simply DO NOT LISTEN OR FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. SAFETY IS NOT A 1/2 WAY MEASURE.

Safety and Laws were enacted because they were PAID FOR with the blood of many, Why would you even risk 1 glove, 1/2 safe, or consider adding your blood to the ones that went before you.

Accidents happen, Heaven forbid that you would have a seizure, major Charlie- Horse, or a Heart Attack while casting and what the potential result could turn out to be from the Molten Metals Proximity to you.

You know, if I have a heart attack while casting I'm as good as dead anyway since I'm alone and 20 minutes before an ambulance might get here anyway. Give it a rest and stop preaching at us will ya? You do what you want, I'll do what I want and we can both be happy, eh?

hiram1
10-08-2011, 09:14 AM
safety equipment.it wont kill you.use it for all it is worth

P.K.
10-08-2011, 09:45 AM
You know, if I have a heart attack while casting I'm as good as dead anyway since I'm alone and 20 minutes before an ambulance might get here anyway. Give it a rest and stop preaching at us will ya? You do what you want, I'll do what I want and we can both be happy, eh?

Hear, hear. I'll go ahead and toss another "act of god" out there one can or can't plan for. Of course in my case simple inspection would have saved me some pain.

While I'm a fairly safe individual repitition is the same as complaciancy in many cases. While casting one night I'd done a few runs and decided it was time to empty the pot and head inside. Wearing my glasses, long sleves and gloves I retrived my tongs and pliers to lift the pot to pour into an ingot mold. I carefully lifted the handle grasped with tongs and closed the pliers around the tip tab. I lifted and turned to my mold table and the pot dumped. One of the "ears" had seperated from the pot and dumped the contents on my running shoe. Nedless to say I tossed the implements and quickly slid the shoe off noting the ripping feeling from the top of my foot. Pretty bad 3rd degree on the top and I needed to debride the cotton off it too. No lasting damage but to my pride. [smilie=b:

You can be as safe as you want and $hi7 still happens. I won't preach to anyone, just to say, accept the consiquences if it does. ;)

garbear
10-08-2011, 09:53 AM
For the guys who don't like to wear gloves, maybe these would be a good compromise. I found them to be too thin as I am used to using 2 Ove' Gloves.
http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=713494

I had a set of nomex gloves a long time ago. They are long gone now. I had forgot about those and they look like a good comprimise. I may get a pair and see if I like them to cast. They be thinner and easier to cast with then t he cotton ones I use if I remember to use them. Thanks
GArbear

MikeS
10-10-2011, 03:40 AM
I started out using thick leather gloves, and that worked well. Then I got a pair of actual welders leather gloves, and they kept my hands much cooler than the original pair, but the dexterity went down significantly. Now I use a pair of gloves that are sold for use in the kitchen, called 'The Ove Glove' and I find that they keep my hands cool, and I can still move all my fingers, they're comfortable to wear for extended periods too. My pair are older ones, and don't have anything to aid gripping, the ones they make now have silicone dots on the palm and fingers to aid in gripping stuff. When the pair I have now wears out, I will replace them with the newer style ones, as I really like them. Of course they wouldn't be too good if lead was spilled directly on them, as they're a loosely woven kevlar, and lead could probably get thru the pores, but for keeping my hands cool, they work great!

acoop101
10-17-2011, 04:17 PM
I use TIG gloves, they are thin enough that they don't prevent manipulation but they are pig skin and Kevlar lined so that they protect you from molten led.

wtfooptimax200
10-18-2011, 09:55 PM
I'd have 3rd degree burns on my hands in less than 5 minutes if I didn't use gloves. I have a tendency to pick things up before they cool completely.

thehouseproduct
10-20-2011, 08:49 PM
I'd have 3rd degree burns on my hands in less than 5 minutes if I didn't use gloves. I have a tendency to pick things up before they cool completely.
Ha ha. Me too. Unless I see cherry glowing red, I think it's room temp. I wear race car gloves up to my elbows to save me from myself.

koehlerrk
10-20-2011, 09:31 PM
I wear gloves. Have since day two of casting. Learned a hard lesson on day one, namely that something you pour molten lead into repeatedly tends to get rather warm...

Plus the fact that when picking up my nice shiny boolits, well, the ones cast an hour ago look just like the ones cast a minute ago...

So I wear my gloves now. I've always worn the face shield.

Mal Paso
10-22-2011, 10:47 PM

I kid you not. I was at the welding bench in High School Metal Shop, my weld had turned from cherry to gray, my instructor walked over, said nice weld and picked it up. Bet he remembers as well as I do.

Bret4207
10-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Huh. Here I was thinking I was well below average intelligence because it took me a couple lessons to learn not to ASSUME. Guess I'm not so alone after all.

palmettosunshine
11-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Back when I rode motorcycles there was always a debate over basic safety gear such as a helmet, gloves, chaps, boots and so on. There were always old timers who told me they didn't need all that ****, I've never dropped my bike.

The rule I learned was there are bikers who have already dropped their bikes, and those who haven't YET. Ride long enough and you WILL drop your bike.

I would imagine its the same with handling molten metal. I have yet to cast my first bullet but the very first gear I started gathering was all the PPE. I already have a full face shield, welding gloves, an apron and a respirator. I've lived this long without killing myself through my own stupidity, why tempt fate now?

Moonman
11-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Palmettosunshine,

PPE is a Great First Move, it shows you're thinking.
Thinking of your Safety, and the Safety and FEELINGS of your Loved Ones.
Leather and Cotton materials = Good Stuff.
Synthetic, as in Polyester = NOT A GOOD MATERIAL FOR CASTING.:castmine::drinks:

Have a GREAT DAY.

MOONMAN

Bret4207
11-29-2011, 08:58 AM
I have no issue with people using all the safety gear they want. It's when they come here and imply or outright say that anyone that doesn't is a freakin' retard that bothers me.

thehouseproduct
11-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Agreed. The people here are big boys and can deal with their own lives.

32/20Colt
12-09-2011, 03:29 PM
I use gloves, glasses, long sleeve shirt and an denim shop apron, with out pockets. I have had splashes show up everywhere. Better safe and able to shoot another day.

Reload3006
12-10-2011, 03:16 PM
I wear welders gloves and i cant see with out my glasses so yup i wear them I just have a thing about not hammer whoopn my molds dies etc.

frkelly74
12-13-2011, 08:46 AM
Recently converted to gloves. It is easier on the mold and on me.

GT27
12-13-2011, 12:55 PM
In my opinion the first time you don't put safety first,and overconfidence takes president, then disaster will eventually rear it's ugly head,and you will be it's "pawn for pain"! GT27

Pigslayer
12-14-2011, 07:24 PM
I use gloves when I use the older Lyman single cavity mold Handles. They get hot!! I use a hickory hammer handle to move the sprue plate. I'm not grabbing hold of a hot mold block! Glove or no glove!

Bullwolf
12-14-2011, 08:02 PM
I wear a pair of welding gloves when casting, and while smelting. It's convenient for me whenever I have to grab anything hot. Like picking up a warm ingot off the hot plate, grabbing a hot cast iron pot handle, or in just case of an oops.

I have a bad tendency to pick up still hot boolits thinking hmm they cant still be all that warm can they....

I also need the gloves to open the sprue plate by hand. If I didn't wear gloves I would have to tap the mold open with something. That's harder on the molds, and my casting rhythm. It would throw my cadence off quite a bit.

- Bullwolf

midnight
12-14-2011, 08:05 PM
I cast for very many years with no gloves and never had a problem other than a few tiny splatters. I always hit the sprue plate with a hammer handle and life was good. It finally dawned on me that the possibility of damaging my molds by opening the sprue plate that way was very high. I came to this conclusion when my $15 molds were now $100 + molds. I tried cotton gloves & leather gloves but was not satisfied. I finally tried a pair of Oakley's racing gloves and there is nothing else like them that I know of. I can now open all my sprue plates with my hand, put the sprues where I want them, & pick up hot bullets. The only downside is that they are very expensive. They'll cost you as much as a custom bullet mold but they can't be beat.

Bob

There is a picture of the racing gloves in post 16.

thehouseproduct
12-18-2011, 03:29 PM
I cast for very many years with no gloves and never had a problem other than a few tiny splatters. I always hit the sprue plate with a hammer handle and life was good. It finally dawned on me that the possibility of damaging my molds by opening the sprue plate that way was very high. I came to this conclusion when my $15 molds were now $100 + molds. I tried cotton gloves & leather gloves but was not satisfied. I finally tried a pair of Oakley's racing gloves and there is nothing else like them that I know of. I can now open all my sprue plates with my hand, put the sprues where I want them, & pick up hot bullets. The only downside is that they are very expensive. They'll cost you as much as a custom bullet mold but they can't be beat.

Bob

There is a picture of the racing gloves in post 16.

Funny. I worked at Oakley, that's what I use too.

WilNsc
12-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Deffinetly gloves, and eye protection at a minimum. It only takes a second for a lifetime of regret when it comes to molten metal.

Bullet Caster
12-31-2011, 02:19 AM
No gloves, no shirt, shorts and flip flops; no glasses. Just kidding. I wear a heavy long shirt with jeans, an apron, glasses, rubber boots and GLOVES on both hands and a hat of some sort. Safety was drilled into me by the USMC so it's better not to buck the system. I don't want a visit by the tinsel fairy. Like someone stated previously, I'd rather be casting than healing. BC

Whiterabbit
12-31-2011, 03:50 AM
wow! I voted before I read the thread. I wear gloves. Then I read the thread.

Burns? really? I've never been burned (though a couple near-misses, I admit.)

I wear nitrile gloves. It;s for cleanliness and comtamination. I don't want to handle lead, bullets, brass (fingerprints) powder, or any of that and get dirty if I can help it! What if I have to run in and help wife with the baby?

HardColt
12-31-2011, 08:27 AM
I always wear long leather gloves up to my arms over my long sleeve denim shirt. I wear a baseball cap with the brim backwards so my full face shield strap can fit snugly onto the cap. Safety glasses underneath the face shield. Apron over my jeans and old used combat boots laced to the top. Haven't been splattered or burn yet but there is always a chance so I try to minimize that chance as much to zero.

a.squibload
01-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Maybe related, I installed a water heater last week, had to change
the length of the copper tubes. After soldering I reached up for something
and barely touched one of the tubes with my arm. Didn't feel like much but
a couple days later the skin came off, about an inch long. Healing up now.
This was very brief exposure to medium heat, lead is really hot and can stick to ya.

(I installed the old heater 19 years ago, Reliance brand, now they're made in Mexico
but I bought another one. We'll see how it holds up.)

Hang Fire
01-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Burns suck gloves 100%
eye wear too

I use gloves, but a hot sprue dropping into a glove cuff can get interesting real fast, don't ask how I know.

DODGEM250
01-13-2012, 07:10 PM
I probably should but I don't. Maybe the day will come when I wished I did ? LOL

375RUGER
01-16-2012, 12:23 AM
one glove only
can i vote again for the other hand?

Artful
01-17-2012, 01:29 AM
I have gloves I keep there but don't put them on until I'm putting lead back in the pot. For casting boolits I usually don't wear the gloves.

7of7
01-18-2012, 10:40 PM
I just found some new gloves.. lightly insulated, so I can still feel what I am doing, yet the insulation does not let me hang on to hot stuff for long.. it is adequate time to pick up the sprues, and return them to the melt..
It provides enough protection for the little splashes that may happen when using my bottom pour pot..

For smelting,... welding gauntlets, long sleeve shirt... safety glasses, hat... ...... ....

Danderdude
01-20-2012, 12:22 PM
As a new caster, I'm on the fence about gloves. I've got a good pair of leather work gloves for when fixing fence, but I've only worn them twice while casting. I noticed that I was taking far more chances around hot surfaces when I was gloved.

My fear is that I'll get used to doing certain things gloved, and then the muscle memory will kick in one day when I don't have them.

What I can't get in the habit of is wearing glasses...

fatelk
01-20-2012, 12:53 PM
We need another poll: How many have been seriously burned while casting without gloves?

I usually don't wear gloves for casting. Sure, I've had minor burns over the years, but if I have things set up right and am not being careless I don't. I actually think eye protection is more important, as an eye injury is a lot more serious than a minor burn on a hand.

Bret4207
01-20-2012, 06:44 PM
As a new caster, I'm on the fence about gloves. I've got a good pair of leather work gloves for when fixing fence, but I've only worn them twice while casting. I noticed that I was taking far more chances around hot surfaces when I was gloved.

My fear is that I'll get used to doing certain things gloved, and then the muscle memory will kick in one day when I don't have them.

What I can't get in the habit of is wearing glasses...

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger bud. I can't get used to the glasses or the gloves.

Suo Gan
01-26-2012, 03:04 PM
Another guy, probably a rookie casting without a NASA space suit. The barbarian probably loves beating his molds with a stick too.

Springfield
01-26-2012, 05:31 PM
These are soft, heat proof and have enhanced gripping capability. Why wouldn't you use them? I have used them for the last 6 years since I started casting and find nothing bad about them. YOu can buy them at Wal-Mart or Orchard Supply most of the time, or just buy them online.

mold maker
01-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Their your only hands and eyes. Taking chances with 700 degree lead is lkie playing with a loaded gun.

Suo Gan
01-26-2012, 07:11 PM
We need another poll: How many have been seriously burned while casting without gloves?

I usually don't wear gloves for casting. Sure, I've had minor burns over the years, but if I have things set up right and am not being careless I don't. I actually think eye protection is more important, as an eye injury is a lot more serious than a minor burn on a hand.

The idea from them is that they are being less barbaric and they actually know more than folks who use a stick to open the sprue plate. I have seen guys do it with their hand on youtube. To be honest it looks like a Charlie Foxtrot to me. But hey, to each his own. Completely agree about the glasses or safety spectacles. Got worse burns working as a cook in a diner than from casting and to me tinsel fairy is a word about as overused as green energy or granite counter tops these days. It gives me a knee jerk gag when I hear it. Just don't let live primers, jacketed bullets and wet ingots into the pot.

I was rendering outside recently and a storm came in unexpectedly and it rained right on the molten lead and there was no explosions or craters or anything like that.

Safety should be a primary goal, but things get taken out of context and that is what is being done here. If you want to wear gloves that is fine with me, just don't get on your high horse. Let bygones be bygones.

Bret4207
01-27-2012, 07:40 AM
Another guy, probably a rookie casting without a NASA space suit. The barbarian probably loves beating his molds with a stick too.

HAR! 95 out of 100 here and 100% elewhere probably don't know who that is!:bigsmyl2: The barbarian is using a ladle too! What a maroon!

Moonman
01-27-2012, 08:04 AM
Suo Gan,

The RAIN put the water on TOP of the MOLTEN LEAD, if you would have tried to stir it and YOU get the water BELOW the surface of the lead, you just might have located a MAJOR TINSEL FAIRY EXPLOSION.

milprileb
01-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Seriously Gents, I don't get this about debating a safety issue. You wear gloves and eye protection and you practice safety.

What more about being an adult is there to say on this issue.

a.squibload
01-28-2012, 05:16 AM
HAR! 95 out of 100 here and 100% elewhere probably don't know who that is!

Uh, Elmer Keith?
Brian Keith?
Elmer Gantry?

Aww, I give up...

Bret4207
01-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Suo Gan,

The RAIN put the water on TOP of the MOLTEN LEAD, if you would have tried to stir it and YOU get the water BELOW the surface of the lead, you just might have located a MAJOR TINSEL FAIRY EXPLOSION.

Exactly. It's taken several years, nearly a decade in fact, to get the idea across that steam explosions in molten lead only happen when the water gets UNDER the surface of the alloy! Yet, to this day, even on these pages, we'll see reference to "a drop of sweat can cause a steam explosion!!!!!".

Obviously what Suo Gan (what does that mean anyway?) is saying is that rational, common sense precautions are fine, but many people go so far overboard that they become either worry warts or safety Nazis. Common sense is still going to take care of 99% of our problems.

Bret4207
01-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Uh, Elmer Keith?
Brian Keith?
Elmer Gantry?

Aww, I give up...

Guy Loverin, the man himself! In addition to creating some truly wonderful designs, he was a commercial caster for many years.

Bret4207
01-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Seriously Gents, I don't get this about debating a safety issue. You wear gloves and eye protection and you practice safety.

What more about being an adult is there to say on this issue.

What is adult about telling an adult that that if he doesn't do things your way he's not being adult? Do you smoke, drink or engage in any risky activity? If so, would you listen to me when I told you you have to stop because it's not adult to do that?

People need to allow us a bit of freedom to do as we please. I think the people that insist in hats, welders coats or apron, welders gloves and steel toed boots with safety glasses AND a face mask AND a respirator are completely overboard. But I'm not going to tell then they aren't being adult or accuse them of being rather stupid, which has been done in posts other than yours.

If you want to wear gloves and glasses, fine. If you don't and you get burned, don't come whining to everyone else about it. End of story.

letsmeltlead2693
01-29-2012, 03:12 AM
I always wear gloves. I may pop tiny drops of molten lead on my hand because I take them off sometimes to drop lead in the pot. I once burned my hand, got a big blister by picking up a hot pan with lead that was still hot. Lead was cool, but I thought the pan was cool and I picked it up and ouch, felt like my skin was bubbling. I am left handed but I burned my right hand. I still have a scar and that was 2 or 3 weeks ago.

bmac1949
01-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Why even take the chance that Murphy's law will catch up to you because it will a lot faster if you don't follow the basics.

MikeS
02-05-2012, 06:10 PM
What is adult about telling an adult that that if he doesn't do things your way he's not being adult? Do you smoke, drink or engage in any risky activity? If so, would you listen to me when I told you you have to stop because it's not adult to do that?

People need to allow us a bit of freedom to do as we please. I think the people that insist in hats, welders coats or apron, welders gloves and steel toed boots with safety glasses AND a face mask AND a respirator are completely overboard. But I'm not going to tell then they aren't being adult or accuse them of being rather stupid, which has been done in posts other than yours.

If you want to wear gloves and glasses, fine. If you don't and you get burned, don't come whining to everyone else about it. End of story.

This is the biggest danger in Obamacare! Once everyone has health care paid for by the government, then they're going to stick their noses in every aspect of our lives. They could make wearing PPE a requirement when doing anything dangerous, and justify it because if you get hurt, and go to the hospital, it will cost the taxpayers money!

Think that sounds far fetched? How many people 10 years ago would believe that today a rare hamburger would be illegal?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=26.088813,-80.403730

Moonman
02-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Mike,

Not only RARE HAMBURGERS but what cooking oils to use in businesses, elimination of SMOKING AREAS for those who choose to smoke, the government lists and mandates continues to grow, for us all.

Gunslinger1911
02-09-2012, 04:35 PM
No gloves here, just glasses - don't feel I can manipulate the moulds with them on. 30+ years casting, few little burn scars, no big deal - got bigger scars from other "less than wholesome" activities

My choice. HecK! I don't wear a helmet when I ride my motorcycle, and I have been known to run with sissors ! My life , my choice.

No one is a sissy for using PPE, I'm not crazy for not using PPE. Opinions are like You know whats, everyone has one.

LAH
02-10-2012, 09:19 PM
- got bigger scars from other "less than wholesome" activities.

I hear ya.

Exclr8
02-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Terry cloth gloves for me. Not clumsy but does provide some measure of protection.

1hole
02-12-2012, 06:36 PM
I've been casting bullets, sinkers and fish lures since '65. The only "safety" equipment I've ever used is eye protection but I've never gotten a lead splash on my hide. Lucky, or simply know what I'm doing and am careful about it? I really don't think I'm all that lucky but ... maybe so.

StratsMan
03-01-2012, 08:20 AM
No gloves here, just glasses - don't feel I can manipulate the moulds with them on.

And I thought I was tough... I wear leather utility gloves 'cuz I open my sprue plates by hand... Doesn't everyone??? Can't see myself manipulating those 400+ degree steel plates barehanded... I guess if a guy always uses a stick to open the sprue, then barehands could work... I've had enough splatters on my gloves to convince me to use them, tho....

MikeS
03-01-2012, 12:35 PM
HecK! I don't wear a helmet when I ride my motorcycle, and I have been known to run with sissors ! My life , my choice.

I couldn't agree more with the statement My life, My choice! While I do wear gloves while casting (a pair of OveGloves) because of the way I cast (I open the sprue plate by hand, I try and use the mallet as little as possible), and the fact that I tend to accidentally touch things that are probably very hot, other than a long sleeve shirt (that I keep on the chair by the pot) I don't add any other PPE to cast. I wear glasses all the time just to see, so they protect my eyes, and I wear jeans most of the time too (I never wear shorts, my legs are too scared up from diabetic ulcers), so the shirt is all I need.

I also don't wear a helmet while riding my motorcycle, but I do wear either a leather jacket, or a kevlar one when it's warm out, I don't really think road rash would feel too good should I go down. I actually have a reason for not wearing the helmet that makes perfect sense to me, but others might disagree. When a person enters the ER after an accident the triage uses a survivability numbered scale (I forget what it's called), and between my age, and health problems my survivability number is low BEFORE an accident, so I figure if I ever get in much of an accident I don't stand much of a chance of coming thru it too well, and quite frankly I would rather be totally dead, rather than being brain dead from wearing a helmet, which might give me just enough protection to keep from killing me, but would leave me brain dead. Add to that the discomfort of wearing a helmet in the FL heat, and it's a simple choice for me. I'm just happy that FL was smart enough to stop making helmets the law!

a.squibload
03-02-2012, 03:33 AM
Yep.
Besides, how would you get home from the bar if someone stole your helmet?:razz:

Wanna revise my vote, lately I use 2 pairs of gloves.
Open sprue plate, dump boolits, attempt to close mold,
pinch mold together 'cause the halves don't wanna line up.
Gloves start getting hot I switch to the other pair.

30cal
03-02-2012, 09:37 PM
No gloves,but Im gonna go with the general concensuss and wear safety glasses

crashguy
03-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Gloves , eye protection even long sleeves. There is no extra credit for getting scars.

gbrown
03-03-2012, 02:22 PM
I wear gloves when I cast. I buy car insurance, property insurance, health insurance and life insurance. I'm betting everybody something bads going to happen to me. In the military, we had "risk assessment". I do things that others would say are dangerous. However, if you take steps to minimize the risks, you can do dangerous things safely--like going to the gun range around a bunch of strangers. I wear gloves because I want to wear gloves. If someone else chooses not to, no sweat off my brow.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-09-2012, 05:06 AM
Welder's gloves, apron, safety glasses, long sleeve shirt, fan and filter mask while smelting. Leather palmed work gloves, apron, safety glasses, long sleeve shirt and fan while casting. I always do both outside and under a sheltered area (not a garage) where if a sudden rain comes up, I have some cover to shut operations down without water landing in my molten lead. I have the fan to insure the lead fumes are blown and clearing from the work area as quickly as possible.

a.squibload
03-10-2012, 02:00 AM
I don't mean to be ornery, but you're not producing lead fumes when casting.
There's been a lot of discussion here about that, you would need to raise the lead to
over 1000º (can't remember the number), basically to boiling point.
When smelting lead there IS a lot of crappy stuff in the smoke!
But not lead fumes.

coloraydo
03-10-2012, 02:19 AM
Right hand glove for opening sprue plate. Also wear long sleaved shirt, prescription glasses, and a hat.

0verkill
03-10-2012, 02:53 AM
I've worn a glove on my right hand from very early on for opening sprue plates. I found when using double or triple cavity moulds I was much faster using my hand than picking up a stick or wooden mallet, just saved a second or two per cast.
About 4 years ago I was making ingots from wheel weights in late July. It being hot I was in a pair of shorts, me being a hillbilly I was barefoot. Got towards the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket and didn't notice the tinsel fairy was wating in the bottom. The pot was about half full and over half of that went airborne. I turned my head and shut my eyes out of reflex, when I opened my eyes I couldn't see out of my left one, the lead had covered my goggles over that eye. I walked far away from the pot before I took the goggles off. By now I'd saw the 3rd degree burns on my left thigh just above the knee. The lead had also gotten on my foot and after seeing how bad my goggles looked I was almost afraid to look at my head in the mirror. The head didn't look too bad, hurt like crazt since I keep it shaved. Had splatter in my goatee, but it didn't burn the skin. Feet scared me real bad since I've been diabetic for the last 6 years, but that and the leg healed fine. The leg is the only place that still has scars but they'll probably fade in a few more years. Oddly enough I took a pocket knife and scraped the lead off my googles and finished my ingots.
Since then I always wear shoes, pants, a long sleeve shirt, both gloves and a face shield. There's a chance my burns wouldn't heal as nicely next time, so I've tried to keep from getting any more.

MSGO-Hammer
03-11-2012, 07:52 PM
I always wear gloves, usually the thin leather work type gloves, apron and safety glasses. I use heavy gauntlet type welding gloves when smelting.

BulletFactory
03-11-2012, 07:58 PM
No gloves and Ive got the scars to prove it.

SquirrelHollow
03-18-2012, 12:39 AM
I open sprue plates by hand, so a glove is required. But... I would have them on, anyway.

Long sleeves, pants, welders' gloves, boots, glasses, and a hat.

beex215
03-18-2012, 10:29 AM
i would suggest it. i hate the feel of the gloves hindering me, but i did have a small drop of molten lead that did sear my skin on my left hand. its a noticeable scar.

9-toes
03-19-2012, 01:43 PM
I highly recommend proper gloves. If you burn both hands badly enough you better have a very good friend to help with your morning constitutionals! :-)

dragon813gt
03-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Welders gloves, leather apron, long sleeve shirt, non-synthetic boots and a face shield. I also wear a respirator if the smelting pot is smoking bad. Learned my lesson while brazing a line set in about synthetic footwear. The ball of braze that fell off melted it's way through the nylon and charred my wool socks. It should have never gotten that far. Since then I don't mess around with synthetic fibers and molten metals.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Katya Mullethov
03-19-2012, 10:52 PM
With nothing more than you tube as a gauge , I would posit another thread might be "Shoes or no shoes ?"

Certaindeaf
03-21-2012, 12:06 AM
Medium weight leather gloves. Cut sprue with hand, catch sprue with hand and drop gently back into the pot..

emrah
03-25-2012, 12:41 PM
No gloves. I'm amazed at how many people open their sprue plates by hand. I just use a hard plastic hammer/mallet to gently tap the sprue plate open, then tap it back into position after closing the mold. No, it's not "beating on" it.

I'll get the occasional small lead burn on my arm, but I find that not having bulky gloves allows me to work more accurately. The gloves can be bulky and fine hand/finger control is diminished.

In other words, I am more wary of dropping something due to loss of "feel" while wearing gloves and having a BIG splash of hot molten lead than the occasional small "sizzle".

Emrah