PDA

View Full Version : 22 Cal Cleaning Patch Cutter

altheating
05-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Does anyone know who makes a 22 cal cleaning patch cutter? I already have scissors and a sharp knife. Really would like to find one of the punch type cutters.

largom
05-01-2011, 09:42 PM
I make [cut] all of my own cleaning patches. I don't use a punch since I make patches for most all calibers. I use a Fiscus [spelling ?] cutter with a cutting pad under it. These cutters and pads are available from Walmart in the fabrick section. I also get my patch material from Walmart at less than $3.00 per sq. yd. You can get a lot of patches from a sq. yd. of material.
I keep an assortment of patches on hand at all times. I cut patches 3/4 in. sq., 1 in. sq., 1 1/2 in. sq., 2 in. sq., 3 in. sq., and 4 in. sq. I cut the patches by running the cutter along a plastic ruler. If the patches are too tight for a certain caliber I just use a smaller jag.
If you really wanted a punch I think a very sharp arbor punch would work. These are round punches for cutting gaskets and should be available fron Harbor Freight Tools or maybe a auto parts store such as NAPA.

Larry

Von Gruff
05-01-2011, 11:08 PM
This 4x2 cloth is what my father used during wwii and what I still use today.
I use scissors and cut a bunch of 2 in strips and for 20-22 cal I then cut the stack of strips in three. Cut them in half for 7mm and leave them as is for the 404.
two rools last for a long time and are very cost effective, absorbant, and convenient. Usually get it for $9 NZ a roll, and at NZ$1 = .80c US it is about US$7 for the 2 rolls.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Hunting-shooting/Accessories/Cleaning-equipment/auction-371863493.htm

Von Gruff.

gnoahhh
05-02-2011, 10:01 AM
What's wrong with using the scissors? I have for decades. Are you meticulously cutting out round patches? If so, there's certainly nothing wrong with round ones, but square ones work equally well, and you can generate about a hundred of them in a couple of minutes with a sharp pair of scissors.

I buy a yard or two of white cotton flannel at the fabric store and make myself about a years worth of cleaning patches while watching a half-hour sitcom.

markinalpine
05-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Fiskars make a rolling fabric cutter, a razor sharp wheel, and sell an accompanying "self-healing" cutting pad. It is designed for tailors or home use, and makes fast work of cutting straight strips. I also have a few rulers in varying widths to use for patterns, and mostly use old worn-out 100% cotton t-shirts for patch material. For .30 cal I've been using 1 1/4" squares with a .270 brass jag. YMMV, your mileage may vary, so you have to play around.
Mark :coffeecom

Chicken Thief
05-03-2011, 05:12 PM
I use hole punches and micro fiber cleaning pads.

A store bought 17mm~.67" for anything up to .243" and a homemade 32mm~1.25" for the rest.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/R0010387.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/R0010390.jpg

JefferyL
05-05-2011, 11:59 AM
+1 for Walmart cloth and square patches. I use pillow ticking for the cloth.

Nobade
05-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Holesaws with the teeth ground off and the edge sharpened will cut a huge number of patches really quickly if you run it in a drill press, fold the cloth over so it's about an inch thick, and use a Delrin backer. That's how I cut all my ML and cleaning patches.

Swede44mag
05-05-2011, 03:58 PM
I buy the material at Wally World figure out what disk is the right size and give it to the Wife to cut out.
I pay her so much each it cost more for the patches but it is kept in the family. Gives her something to do other that search a word and soap operas while I am at work.
She does it because she likes to not because I make her. Can’t make a woman do anything she don’t want to and have a happy marriage.

I cut out a couple of different punches on the lathe but without good steel and proper heat treating it is a loosing battle.

Three44s
05-15-2011, 09:29 AM
I use hole punches and micro fiber cleaning pads.

A store bought 17mm~.67" for anything up to .243" and a homemade 32mm~1.25" for the rest.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/R0010387.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/R0010390.jpg

That material is close to what I used for a shooting wad once. The name of it is Wonder Wad and it's prelubed for Black Powder shooting. My mistake was using it for smokeless rounds (in the .44 mag)

The lube in very hot weather leached from the wad and inactivated the smokeless powder and I had squibs.

However, before the lube leached ....... you NEVER saw such clean barrels ...... leading did not stand a PRAYER of sticking and another side benefit is that mild loads shot to the same point of impact as my stout "bear" loads.

I'll have to investigate a source for those micro cleaning pads and give it another go with a different and non-melting lube (or no lube).

Thank you for posting that!

To the OP, I appologize for hijacking your thread but these wonder wads created a shoot and clean condition ..... we are talking a bore that looked like a MIRROR!

Three 44s