PDA

View Full Version : a question of scale

jon skorepa
05-01-2011, 07:03 PM
would someone more who knows how walk an idiot through process of scaling a 22hornet 300mp alliant powder charge up to 25-20ss. doos and donts. tks jon

Wayne Smith
05-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Don't try. The cartridges are very different, the interior space is very different, and every powder works different in each case. The only way to safely scale a load is with the same case and powder and different boolits.

If the powder is not in the loading books there is a very good reason why. Don't try. Always use recorded, tested loads as a starting place in each case and powder.

If you need loads for a 25-20SS (single shot) let us know. If you choose, also let us know where you found brass of that cartridge. I'm sure that a bunch would like to know.

Bullshop
05-01-2011, 09:23 PM
25/20 ss basic brass is available from Jamison brass. I got some from Buffalo Arms to form into 22/3000 Lovell for the winter postal match.
A word of caution though anneal it first. The brass was very brittle and I lost the first three cases in forming. They split from top to bottom. After annealing no problems.

uscra112
05-05-2011, 12:30 AM
Mumph! I've fireformed 100 or so Jamison cases to R2 Lovell and never split a one. Some these are now on their 5th or 6th reload, too.

Jon, it would be very helpful to know what boolit you are using in the .25-20SS, and what action you have. The old Stevens 44 actions are very common in .25-20SS, but they can not stand the pressures that a Winchester 1885 or a Stevens 44 1/2 can handle. Not even close! That in turn may help you decide whether to try 300MP at all.

Phil

Doc Highwall
05-05-2011, 01:46 PM
This is one of the reasons I collect old reloading books. The newer books have the latest and greatest but they drop some of the older cartridges that will be re-discovered at a later time.

Artful
05-05-2011, 03:32 PM
This is one of the reasons I collect old reloading books. The newer books have the latest and greatest but they drop some of the older cartridges that will be re-discovered at a later time.

Yep, and I also collect the old Gun Digest and Handloader Digest for just this reason. :bigsmyl2:

NHlever
05-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Yep, and I also collect the old Gun Digest and Handloader Digest for just this reason. :bigsmyl2:

Me too. I am a sucker for the old loading books, and Gun Digest books. Of course my favorite "Gun Digest" is the one with the green cover, and full size picture of one of the prototype Ruger Redhawks that I built in Ruger's toolroom. (I believe that it was the 1980 issue) In the article there are shots of other Redhawks I built too......... look at the front sight, and barrel contour to see the differences. So that was my 10 minutes in the sun.
:D :D By the way Bob Tibbets was a great guy to work with, and both he, and his son gave more than most to keep this country free.