PDA

View Full Version : Mould "Stickies"

floodgate
12-17-2006, 02:05 PM
GUNLOAD MASTER:

I have posted a couple of times over the past few weeks on "decoding" the markings and determining approximate dates for Lyman / Ideal moulds. It has been suggested I make and post a "sticky" on the subject here, but I haven't a clue as to how to go about it. Advice?

For reference, I would like to offer the material in quotes on my post No. 820, 01:17 12/17/06.

SUNDOG:

Would this be something to also post on CASTPICS / Research and Data / Lyman?

Doug

45nut
12-17-2006, 02:17 PM
Mornin Doug,,
I can "sticky" any particular post, but at some point there are diminishing returns as too many stickies serves to underwhelm and they get overlooked. I for one would love to see the information posted on CastPics and possibly a article with pictures we can post on our articles page.
As has been pointed out many times,your counsel is priceless and I value your contributions greatly here.

Edit:
I just went back and looked over a few threads,,,none really seem to have the right title/header for mold number deciphering...I am considering another thread though.

You must be on dial up access,i just tried to call and got a busy signal.....

kywoodwrkr
12-17-2006, 04:41 PM
45nut,
Is it possible to have an archive area?
There have been many items I think would be very good as an article to retrieve from an archival system.
There have been many references to items written by various members here.
It would be nice if items could be stored as PDF entities.
This would facilitate user retrieval and storage of copies on their own computers.
Just a thought.
Not sure how to set things like that up on server/pc based systems.
My area of expertise lies in the mid to large range computer systems.
I think of PCs as terminals with limited edit functions.
And then the PCs think of me as very limited individual also!:mrgreen:
FWIW
DAveP kywoodwrkr

waksupi
12-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Dave, something you may want to do, is cut and paste pertinent parts of topics into a word document, and print them out occassionally. I have reams of print out, starting from around '96, at the old Shooters board, and forward from there.
I know others here have done the same.

floodgate
12-17-2006, 05:54 PM
45Nut:

Thanks for the call (which finally came through, once I went off-line - Dam' dial-up!; but I can't justify the $200 - $250 hookup and relay fees and the $70 per month to access the hi-speed circuit used by the local wineries). I will look through my last few posts on Lyman / Ideal moulds and their identification, markings and dating and pull something together fror a "sticky" or maybe an article. This will primarily cover the Lyman era, October 1925 to date; the preceding periods - John H. Barlow's Ideal Mfg. Co., (1885 - 1910); Marlin (May 1910 - December 1915); and possible moulds by Phineas Talcott (1916 - 1925; but we have seen no moulds directly attributable to him) have been covered in an article for Beagle's "Cast Boolit Compendium" - or whatever title he has come up with. I DO have a virtually complete listing of all Ideal moulds, from the first use of the "modern" cherry numbers in 1896 to date, by year, from the various Handbooks and Annual Catalogs, from which I have been answering questions here and elsewhere. Unfortunately, these are on an obsolete Mirkosoft program (the word processor and spreadsheets bundled into "MS Works"); I have them on CD, but can't currently call them up on my year-old iMac G5 / OSX 10.4. I am working on it*, and have help on the way, but for now have to do it all from the "paper" backup files I fortunately kept (some 6 feet of Lyman / Ideal stuff on the shelf). I'm still happy to help though - but at the risk of boring most of the "brethren" to tears.

Geez! Looks like I've got my draft introduction right there...

Doug Elliott / floodgate

* I recently got the "Student" version of "MS Office for the Mac", which should do the trick; but haven't set it up yet.

Dave, pdf would be a fine format, and the Mac handles it easily - but can it do pictures and spreadsheets?

walltube
12-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Mr. Elliott,

I ask this out of my ignorance of such things, but can you not put all this history onto a DVD for our consumption? You determining the price for your time and labor?

Yrs. Tly. ,

Walltube

floodgate
12-18-2006, 01:39 AM
walltube:

I'm not smart enough to do a DVD on my new iMac! I'm still learning my way around - and also still adding information. I HAVE given Beagle a writeup on the early pre-Lyman Ideal moulds (through the end of Marlin production in late 1915), and he has gotten it re-formatted onto a CD, I think. I'm working on the later stuff, but the "stickie" I had suggested was just a one- or two-page rewrite of the dope on the markings on Lyman mould blocks given above on the JSH "Questions..." thread above, plus a few clues as to dating them. Money is not the issue; I'm happy to share what I know with all of you here. If you have a specific question, I'll try to answer it.

Doug

walltube
12-18-2006, 02:53 AM
Dear Sir,

I will accept 'unfamiliarity' of the iMac, but not "smart enough" to produce a DVD of your work. Reading your posts give me reason to beg different with "not smart enough". Time away from your pleasures, yes.

Now..........

Given the interest in your efforts to catalogue the history of boolit moulds by the membership of CB, perhaps some of our computor wizards here will lend a hand in getting a Group Buy going here with this. Answering each members query per post is time wasting and exhausts band width. If we can spring $100.00+ for gas checks that are immediately worth nothing, surely we can spend half that for something of real value.

What say you men??

Yrs. Tly.

Harold

floodgate
12-18-2006, 08:27 PM
walltube, 45Nut, ManleyJT, et al.:

Thankds guys, for all the encouragement and helpful advice on getting my Ideal / Lyman mould stuff posted; but y'know, we're not exactly talking the Gutenberg Bible here! I'll follow up on a couple of the ideas and offers, and see what we can come up with. Meanwhile - as I said - I'm happy to answer specific questions, if and where I can; and I promise to curtail my natural tendencies to long-windedness!

And walltube, many thanks for the offer of a contribution - but money is not the issue here; just "smarts" and time!

Doug / floodgate

BluesBear
12-28-2006, 03:45 AM
I have a older 1999 vintage Gateway computer in my home network. I use it just as a hard drive enclosure. However it is fully functional and is loaded with MS Works.
So I have the ability to read the MS Works spreadsheets and to convert them to more modern Excel or Quattro formats.
If I can be of any help please let me know.