PDA

View Full Version : Contender Guru's Help !

blaser.306
05-01-2011, 05:38 PM
I have an early model contender 5 digit S/N with the wrist breaker open feature ! I went to the range today and fired 3 rounds and the pistol quit ! The hammer block will not drop with any of my bbl's installed , it has worked flawlesly up till now ? The hammer falls and stops dead with no loud boom at the end ! Where do I start to look for the culprit ? Any help is appreciated .

LUCKYDAWG13
05-01-2011, 07:16 PM
i would look at the grip bolt is it to tight then i would take the grip off i look in side
still dont work call T/C 866-730-1614 they will help the gun has a life time warranty

gunslinger20
05-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Try this link this guy knows his TCs he is a very well known gun smith that specializes in TCs www.bellmtcs.com

Gunfixer
05-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Is the hammer stopping on the safety block or is it going all the way to the frame face? And just for grins....you didn't accidentally set it for rimfire and are shooting centerfire? (or vice versa)

LUCKYDAWG13
05-01-2011, 08:54 PM
...you didn't accidentally set it for rimfire and are shooting centerfire? (or vice versa)[/QUOTE]

i dint have the hart to ask that :bigsmyl2:

Gunfixer
05-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Dawg, I had to. And it wouldn't be the first (second , third et al) time I've done it. So I don't have a rimfire bbl at this time. Too easy to do and too easy to forget to look at

blaser.306
05-01-2011, 09:14 PM
To answer the first question . The hammer falls on the safety block . And the selector on my hammer face is the older style that you have to change with a screwdriver right in the face of the hammer ! This frame and gun has been working like a watch with all 5 of my bbl's untill today ! Like I said three rounds and " CLICK "

Gunfixer
05-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Blaser
Did you try to refire the "click" round, and if so did it go the second time? If not I would look for trash on the locking block mating surface/ safety disengagement pivot area
Two of mine are the second generation one hard and one easy open that you also had to use the screwdriver to change. I did not mean anything insulting by mentioning that, just after shooting both rimfire and centerfire silhouettes the same day, it is real easy to see if you flinch when the selector is set in the wrong place

bearcove
05-01-2011, 09:43 PM
What barrel? Are you getting indent on primer when they misfire? Some Cartridges are very sensitive to headspacing. Too long will cause action to not close all the way. My 357 Herret taught me that one. A rimless cartridge that is to short will be knocked into the chamber by the hammer strike. Your ammo needs to match your chamber. Some chambers are poorly done.

blaser.306
05-01-2011, 09:46 PM
No offence taken ! I have the grip off of the gun and even with a small wooden dowel ( BBQ ) scewer depresing the safety disconnect "paddle " I cannot make the hammer come to rest on the pistol frame .I tried to clean everything out with solvent ( brake kleen ) and yes there was a fair bit of assorted grunge in the action but the safety seems to be held fast !

blaser.306
05-01-2011, 09:49 PM
What barrel? Are you getting indent on primer when they misfire? Some Cartridges are very sensitive to headspacing. Too long will cause action to not close all the way. My 357 Herret taught me that one. A rimless cartridge that is to short will be knocked into the chamber by the hammer strike. Your ammo needs to match your chamber. Some chambers are poorly done.

I have been shooting this frame bbl combo for about 5 years and this is the first . I have a 7mm tcu , 22 lr, 357 max 7mm rimmed international and a .445 supermag and all worked dandy untill today . And no there is no indenting , The hammer stops on the safety . It gets no where near the firing pins !

Gunfixer
05-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Based on all the info you have provided, I would lean toward one of 3 things. Either you have a burr or ding ( from the hammer hitting) on the safety block, the block has stuff behind it causing a bind, or the spring that drives it down is rusted or gunked. Full disassembly to ID problem, are you up to it? Disassembly is easy, reassemble can make you drink big amounts of good Canadian whisky ( to make looking for that little spring more enjoyable of course)

blaser.306
05-01-2011, 10:08 PM
I completely dissasembled my Dan Wesson DA revolver and managed to get it back together ? And no spare pieces . How much worse could this be ?

bearcove
05-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Sounds like something in the way. On mike Bellm's website he had downloadable instructions for trigger jobs. Complete disassembly with good pictures and how to put back together.

Gunfixer
05-01-2011, 10:17 PM
From personal experience, when reinstalling the safety block ( you are loading the spring when installing) wear glasses, and have a good clean area. When the block hits you in the nose, you flinch and lose sight of where the itty bitty spring went. After the first 50 it gets easier, other than that they are way easier than a Dan Wesson tear down.

stubshaft
05-01-2011, 10:39 PM
I completely dissasembled my Dan Wesson DA revolver and managed to get it back together ? And no spare pieces . How much worse could this be ?

If you don't make a slave pin to install the hammer spring you will find out. With a slave pin it is a breeze, in fact I've done it between relays of a silhouette match. Without one you'll be cursing God for not giving you three hands. Other than that it is a breeze.

canyon-ghost
05-01-2011, 10:56 PM
I have a little slave pin in brass, the size you'll need is 3/16". I've heard of guys using a chunk of 3/16" bolt to do the trick. The safety that slides up and down has to be free. I have freed them up with spray Rem oil and move them up and down with a screwdriver. They are set on a small spring and only come out the bottom of the frame when the assembly in front is removed (the trigger mechanism).

If it wont slide, it's stuck. Mine usually stick in the fire position, though.

More notes on it, the pin punch to remove the trigger assembly is not 1/8", instead, it takes a 3/32" pin punch to remove the pin INSIDE the roll pin, the next pin will be 1/8 or so.

Ron

blaser.306
05-05-2011, 11:33 PM
I talked to the Canadian customer service rep. and from the sounds of things so far the diagnosis that I gave was correct ! The safety interlock toggle was out of spec and he was going to replace all internal componants , Including pins and springs ! should be like a new un-fired TC . I just hope that I do not have to re train the BBl to shoot the way that I do ! Thanks for all the help and info !!!!