PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a 750 W hotplate to cast?

Canuck Bob
05-01-2011, 04:30 PM
I dug out a hotplate I've had awhile. Standard China dual burner rated at 1500 W on the tag. For sure this is 750 each. I'm hoping it will melt a 10-15#s of lead on a burner.

Found a manual online and the burnrs are 900 W and 600 W. Searching suggests 900 W should work.

Mk42gunner
05-01-2011, 11:31 PM
All I can say is try it and see if it works. It should, Lee's 20 pound pot only has a 700 watt element, IIRC. The only reason I can think of that it might not work is if it has some sort of temperature sensor like an electric skillet.

Robert

JIMinPHX
05-02-2011, 12:14 AM
The watts are only half the story. The temperature is the other half. Some work at higher temperatures than others do. A $35 1,000W solid burner type hotplate would not melt lead for me at all. A $12 750W cal-rod style hotplate works for me with a 10 pound cast iron pot if I put some insulation around it. I usually put a piece of stove pipe around the pot & then put a flat stone across the top of the stove pipe. In about 20 minutes, the lead in the pot turns to liquid.

Canuck Bob
05-02-2011, 01:21 AM
Thanks, the stove pipe is a great idea! The HP has the older coiled element and gets very red quickly. I used to have some stove pipe, time to scrounge in my extra special junk pile. My poor wife calls it garbage.

Guesser
05-02-2011, 08:42 AM
I use a 35 year old 1500 watt plate and an old Lyman cast iron 10# pot when I want to cast using a dipper. Does a 750 get hot enough to melt and maintain?

cajun shooter
05-02-2011, 10:35 AM
I use a 800 watt single burner that heats my moulds and I have used it to melt lead. It is slower but does work.

Canuck Bob
05-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Guesser, I found a manual on the web and it says the elements are 900 W and 600 W for a total of 1500. 900 W should do it.

montana_charlie
05-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Guesser, I found a manual on the web and it says the elements are 900 W and 600 W for a total of 1500. 900 W should do it.
The wattage is enough but, as you've been told, the temperature that the thermostat allows will be the deciding factor. If it tops out at 500 degrees (like most 'modern' hotplates), preheating moulds and ingots is about all it's good for.

However, some thermostats can be 're-calibrated' to make them work in a higher range of temperatures.

Then, it becomes a matter of the materials used in the manufacture of the hotplate ... and whether they can survive in a hotter environment.

CM

Canuck Bob
05-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Thanks Charlie.

If this dies after casting for awhile it will go to the place everything I buy from China goes, the dump or recycler. This thing has light gauge aluminum wire and bimetal contact controls that are pathetic.

I read of some people who ran thier hotplates and LEE pots direct drive and used one of the voltage regulators common for speed reduction in power tools. I have one that handles 15 AMP routers with no problem or excess heat. I assume that the element is always live but control comes from varying the element voltage.

Another lengthy search is in order.

RU shooter
05-03-2011, 08:30 PM
The watts are only half the story. The temperature is the other half. Some work at higher temperatures than others do. A $35 1,000W solid burner type hotplate would not melt lead for me at all. A $12 750W cal-rod style hotplate works for me with a 10 pound cast iron pot if I put some insulation around it. I usually put a piece of stove pipe around the pot & then put a flat stone across the top of the stove pipe. In about 20 minutes, the lead in the pot turns to liquid. This is the same set up I use, I use a SS water dish I took from the dog , I wrapped it in hi temp pipe insulation with a sheetmetal outer cover. Put a steel lid on it when I turn it on wait 20-30 min and I'm ready to go. This is also the calrod type burner. I use this when at "camp" or away from the house I have since moved up to a 220V burner for most of my melting/smelting duties

Tim