PDA

View Full Version : Empting 1/2 full pot ??

cigg52
12-17-2006, 09:11 AM
I am new to casting so I will ask you guys. What is a safe way to empty a 1/2 full pot of lead. I have a Lee 20lb ladle pot. Thanks

C A Plater
12-17-2006, 09:47 AM
I usually pour off the remaining in ingot molds so they can easily be added back to a melt. I've been known to just leave it there too especially if I plan on resuming casting operations fairly soon.

cigg52
12-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks C A I just didn't know if pouring the hot melt with spout on the pot would make a big mess.

SharpsShooter
12-17-2006, 10:13 AM
I usually pour off the remaining in ingot molds so they can easily be added back to a melt. I've been known to just leave it there too especially if I plan on resuming casting operations fairly soon.

That is the way to do it. This chore is where the bottom pour is easiest. I Just fill ingot moulds til the pot is empty and keep them for later. If I am switching alloys, I mark the ones just poured with a permanant marker to indicate the mix.

SS

VTDW
12-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Thanks C A I just didn't know if pouring the hot melt with spout on the pot would make a big mess.

I wondered at first also. Not a problem, just hold the handle and wear welding gloves. I pour back into a small smelting pot cause I am too clumsy to pour into ingot moulds IMO. Since I have the CRS disease I made up some Alloy Mix tags with wire ties on them and hang the Alloy Mix tag on the handle for when do not use it up or do not pour it into my little smelting pot. Then I always know what is in the pot.

Dave

454PB
12-18-2006, 01:40 AM
Me too, pour it into an ingot mould while wearing gloves, then write the alloy on the ingots with a sharpie. Seems CRS is an epidemic......I have little note cards on 90% of the stuff scattered around my loading room.

Mad Mucus
12-18-2006, 04:22 AM
CRS... :?: :?

Mucus

warf73
12-18-2006, 04:31 AM
CRS...
Can't Remember Sh!t

Warf

JeffinNZ
12-18-2006, 05:07 AM
Is the procedure the same for a pot that is half full as for one that is half empty though? :-D

VTDW
12-18-2006, 08:00 AM
I do think the procedure is the same for both optimists and pessimists.:mrgreen: I have heard that a half empty pot is lighter than a half full one.[smilie=1:

Dave

dagamore
12-18-2006, 09:38 AM
VTDW

It is neither half full or half empyt, the pot is just twice as big as needed for that volume of pb. Or he smartly put half of the pb in to a redundent pot for safe keeping. :D

VTDW
12-18-2006, 10:19 AM
:drinks: :mrgreen:

7br
12-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Unless I am changing alloy, I leave the lead in the pot. Less heat up time the next session as there is lead/pot contact all the way around the pot. I have an old saeco with WW-Tin for most applications and a lee drip-o-matic full of pure lb for muzzleloaders.

Any reasons not to leave lead in the pot?

bishopgrandpa
12-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Leaving lead IN pot will keep the sides from rusting. I have four pots and some may sit for a while. Marvelux will rust an empty pot because it absorbs moisture. I'm:roll: sure there are similar problems with other flux materials so leaving the pot with lead in it has always been good for me.

cherok9878
12-18-2006, 12:03 PM
I didn't know any better, I leave my lee at what ever level it is at when I decide to stop, has been full at times...........larry

454PB
12-18-2006, 12:12 PM
I've used Marvelux for 25 years in the same Lee pots, and none are rust damaged. Since the liner is steel, it will rust regardless of what flux is used, but Marvelux hasn't accelerated rusting.

I only leave lead in the pot if I expect to use the same alloy again soon. It's a PITA to have to bring it up to temperature and empty if a different alloy is to be used.