PDA

View Full Version : Sights for my win94 Trapper

DanWalker
05-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Hey guys.
Blew the dust off of my 94 the other day, and found that the screw that locks the elevation adjustment on my williams FP peep sight had stripped out.
Since it looks like I will be buying a new rear sight, I was thinking about buying a new front sight as well. The front blade on this rifle has always been too fat, in my opinion. When shooting at 100 yards or more, the front sight covers an area almost as wide as an antelope standing broadside.
Any suggestions on a good set of sights for this carbine?
Not trying to make a long range target gun out of it. Just want to improve it if I can.

doubs43
05-01-2011, 11:57 AM
To replace the Williams peep sight I'd suggest a Lyman 66A if your rifle is NOT an angle-eject model.

For the front sight, go to Midway and search for "Marbles" or check with Brownells. Other options include a globe front sight from various makers including Lyman, Pedersoli and Lee Shaver. Shaver has some front sight inserts that are narrow enough to draw a fine bead.

ironhead7544
05-01-2011, 01:49 PM
I would go with an XS Systems blade for a front sight.

DanWalker
05-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Rifle is AE.
Can I just buy a replacement sight base from williams? I don't suppose they have any kind of warranty on their stuff.

jmsj
05-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Dan,
I use the Lyman 66 on my "home made" Trapper. It has never given me any problems yet.
I replaced the front sight with a marbles model 53W. It has a 1/16" brass bead. I would imagine they make the same size bead for the front sight base models
Good luck, jmsj

fecmech
05-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Dan--I would not worry too much about that lock screw. The FP detents for elevation are pretty positive and very unlikely to move. I have a FP on my 94AE with a target knob for elevation as I switch between 50,100 and 200 yds quite a bit, I've never used the lock screw. The easiest thing would be to take out your front sight and simply file it to the width you want, cold blue the sides and reinstall.

pietro
05-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Good advice.

FWIW, Williams WILL sell either a peep sight base, or the sighting arm, as parts - each is half the cost of an entire sight (don't ask how I know)

drobinson
05-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Williams replaced the 5d sight I had on my 94 for the same reason. the elevation lock screw stripped out when I loosened it. Just send the FP back to Williams, I am sure they will fix or replace it.

Baron von Trollwhack
05-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Dan, for something like your rifle with a wide front sight, consider sighting it in so that the point of impact is at the six o'clock position of your target when it is centered on the top edge of the blade. That will let you see the target, as in squirrel or deer and make an aimed shot. BvT

calkar
05-10-2011, 01:33 AM
For cowboy silhouette I have sharpened the top of a front post with a needle or swiss file with good results. I agree the williams fp will be fine without that screw, or you can drill and tap it out for a larger set screw.