PDA

View Full Version : Turbo 1200 down....

Lizard333
05-01-2011, 09:11 AM
I have had a turbo 1200 tumbler for ten years now and came out this morning to get my cleaned brass only to find an overheated motor on a tumbler that no longer works. The motor is fried. I guess I can't complain, I bought it ten years ago used, and have used the heck out of it. My question is what else do you all use. I am considering a rolling tumbler, maybe with this product "http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/". Expensive to get set up but I will never have to buy media again. Any one use this?
Also, what about the ultrasonic cleaners?? Do they work? Are they worth the initial investment?? I know they clean much quicker, but do they do a good job?? Any input is appreciated. Thanks much!!

Rocky Raab
05-01-2011, 09:18 AM
The rolling ones are designed for rock polishing, but can be used for brass. Ultrasonic ones work well, but leave you with wet brass. Air drying takes as long as a regular tumbler, and oven drying adds a step you have to watch carefully.

I'd just get a replacement tumbler. Berry's Manufacturing makes a good one. (They MAKE them, not just slap a label on somebody else's.) Their customer support is superb.

bigbuckjeff
05-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Harbor Freight make one thats 18 lb capacity.

HeavyMetal
05-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Or buy a motor. I've seen posts here about guys shopping around for small motors don't remember how sucessful they were.

Have the same issue, I bought a Lyman 600 turbo 28 years ago and they motor finally gave up yesterday! As I have both the large Dillon and a HF model I'm not without a tumbler but hate to see anything get thrown out until I at least figure out if it's cheaper to fix than replace!

This 600 has already seen one face lift, last year the bowl cracked and I replaced it with the small HF bowl which has worked perfectly!

Maybe some one that has found a replacement motor will post his info!

crabo
05-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Grainger has them, but they always cost more than they should elsewhere. Just take the motor out and take it to an electric motor place and have them sell you a replacement. I ended up burning up a replacement. I used a hole saw and drilled holes in my base. I put a small fan in front of the vibrator and it keeps the new motor cool as it works. It gets hot in Texas.

schutzen
05-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Lyman sells replacement motors. Lyman Customer Service 1-800-225-9626 M-F 9:00AM-4:30PM EST.

dragonrider
05-01-2011, 10:07 AM
http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com

cbrick
05-01-2011, 11:29 AM
I used the Lyman for several years, it was so loud a guy down the street complained. When it gave up the ship I shopped for a new one with a large part of my consideration being noise. I bought the Dillon based on how quiet it was and the guy down the street asked me if I quit handloading. After a few years I bought a second Dillon and now run two at the same time.

No, this isn't a big push for Dillon, I have only a few pieces of their equipment, the tumblers being one. They really are far quieter than anything else I looked at, for me that was really important.

Rick

casterofboolits
05-01-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm unlucky with tumblers. Over the years I have burnt up a Lyman 600, a Lyman 1200, A large Dillon and a Harbor frieght. Of course competing in IPSC and firing off 300 to 500 rounds a week for twenty three years put a load on the tumblers.

I now have a Franklin Armory tumbler and I never put more than one half the reccommended number of cases in the tumbler to reduce the load on the tumbler to make it last longer. So far so good!

I'm looking for a motor to replace the one that burnt out on the dillon. Being on SS, I can't afford to send it back to Dillon. I've got a jar I put all my spare change in to save for the project. Heck, I've saved enough change to buy another FA if I can't find a motor for the Dillon!!

lead-1
05-05-2011, 04:14 AM
Don't toss it yet, have you checked the armature? My 1200 stopped running then got hot, the bearings just needed cleaned out and a little drop or two of fresh oil fixed it right up. Mine finally died because the bearing carrier broke and the motor spun off center, kind of ironic isn't it that it shook itself apart.

44man
05-05-2011, 09:13 AM
Don't toss it yet, have you checked the armature? My 1200 stopped running then got hot, the bearings just needed cleaned out and a little drop or two of fresh oil fixed it right up. Mine finally died because the bearing carrier broke and the motor spun off center, kind of ironic isn't it that it shook itself apart.
The motor is just like a fan motor. They get dry and the blades stop turning. A cleaning and some lube will get them going again.
I take the fan outside and spray a cleaner like Simple Green all over and into the motor, scrub it all and hose it out. Let it sit in the sun to dry and take the motor apart to soak the bushing felt with oil.
Good to go for a long time.

Rocky Raab
05-05-2011, 10:39 AM
One caution: according to my contacts at Berry's Manufacturing, those Harbor Freight models do NOT have an overheat protection circuit. More than one has caught fire because they saved twelve cents on the design.

Berry's makes tumblers for several other companies, with the appropriate bowl color and nameplate. In their plant, I've seen blue ones, red ones, and green ones, if that's any hint to you folks. Just go HERE (http://www.berrysmfg.com/) and be done with it.

PS, they are all shooters, and they treat their customers like best friends.

alamogunr
05-05-2011, 09:05 PM
I did something similar to crabo. I removed the bottom plate and punched four 1/2" holes so air could get in. My Midway vibrator is the only one I've ever seen but it only has a small motor with a weight mounted eccentrically on the shaft to create the vibration. Makes me wonder how they last as long as they do.

John
W.TN

malpaismike
05-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Hello the camp! Check out the attached for motors and parts to satisfy your imagination. It is a tinkerer's Victoria Secret. Hope it helps. mm

https://www.surpluscenter.com/