PDA

View Full Version : Free range lead

koehlerrk
04-30-2011, 10:58 PM
Anyone here pick up range lead? I did a little "harvesting" today at the pistol range, and about 10 minutes work netted me about 15lbs of lead, copper, and some dirt from the berm. So, my question is, who's done this, and what's the best way to turn this into ingots?

I could wash and strain it, that would get rid of the dirt and small stones. Then dry it all, then put it in the pot, cold, and slowly bring it up to temp.

Anyone got a better idea?

btroj
04-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Do it all the time. I just put them in a cold smelting pot, bring up to melting point, flux and skim. This gets the dirt, jackets, and other crud out. Then pour ingots.
I always start with an empty pot as the dirt and jackets can easily hold enough moisture to summon the tinsel fairy if added to molten lead.

koehlerrk
04-30-2011, 11:27 PM
OK, thanks. I've been doing this casting stuff for about two years now, and my ever-increasing production of boolits is requiring an ever-increasing supply of lead.

The part that worried me was getting it dry enough before smelting, but I figured if I started it in a cold pot, it would boil off the water as it heats up. Seemed logical, but I wanted someone else to agree with my logic before I did it.

Thanks!

zxcvbob
04-30-2011, 11:37 PM
The part that worried me was getting it dry enough before smelting, but I figured if I started it in a cold pot, it would boil off the water as it heats up. Seemed logical, but I wanted someone else to agree with my logic before I did it.
Yep, that's how it works.

I could wash and strain it, that would get rid of the dirt and small stones. Then dry it all, then put it in the pot, cold, and slowly bring it up to temp.

Anyone got a better idea?Yeah, don't wash it. Just pick out a few of the rocks and bullet jackets if it makes you feel better.

plainsman456
04-30-2011, 11:53 PM
I just sort of shake the dirt and pick the rocks out first.
They will float and remember to crush the total jacketed ones you may have.
Them buggers will spit a small stream out at you.

geargnasher
05-01-2011, 01:36 AM
Don't forget your full face shield and all the other appropriate PPE, Plainsman wasn't kidding about the TMJ boolits, if you miss one they can blow up pretty fiercely, blasting molten lead everywhere. Sort out the TMJs that didn't bust open on impact with the berm, then crush them on an anvil to crack the jacket so the lead can leak out when heated.

Gear

stubshaft
05-01-2011, 04:51 AM
Where I live there are very few boolit casters, the masses would rather buy condoms or ready mades like Redline. There are very few people who mine the local range in fact I can think of only one other person besides myself. I usually make a smelting trip about once every 3 months and can cherry pick the lead that I want to melt down. I usually concentrate on the ranges the police and prison guards qualify on because they shoot ALOT of slugs, which are very heavy and relatively soft. These are what I concentrate on. I take my turkey fryer, cast pot and aluminum muffin tins (from goodwill or salvation army) and have at it. A four hour trip usually nets me about 300 pounds of lead!

koehlerrk
05-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Thanks guys. Looks like I'm going to build a screening box to sift out the dirt (Western NY clay) then hand-sort the rocks out. Check to make sure some lead is exposed somewhere on the slugs, and toss 'em in the pot.

Skim off the jackets, save them for a trip to the scrappers, flux, and cast ingots. Thanks guys!

Freightman
05-01-2011, 09:51 AM
total jacketed ones you may have.
Them buggers will spit a small stream out at you.
Had one yesterday shoot at me, looked like a clam shooting water on the beech. I just sift and melt everything that isn't lead will float to the top. The spiters are the reason there is a lid on my pot and it is a heavy lid.

koehlerrk
05-01-2011, 10:09 AM
I might have to get a lid for my pot, actually, that sounds like a good idea.

Almost as good as the idea of wearing my full face-shield every time I work with the melter.

fatelk
05-01-2011, 11:42 AM
I've heard that free range lead will make healthier boolits. It's all organic and pesticide free, much more environmentally friendly than regular lead.:)

Bomber
05-01-2011, 11:54 AM
I mine the pistol berms at my club. Its amazing how many spent bullets are just laying on top of the dirt bank. Probably work their way to the top from freeze and thaw.
I use one of those garden tools, with 3 prongs to dig down a few inches.

BTW, when I cook mine up I wear goggles and welders gloves. I then back up from the pot and sit about 15 feet away letting it heat up. Thanks for the tip about TMJ bullets. I will be on the lookout for them.

bumpo628
05-01-2011, 06:37 PM
I've heard that free range lead will make healthier boolits. It's all organic and pesticide free, much more environmentally friendly than regular lead.:)

That's the first thing I thought of when I read the title too.

Longwood
05-01-2011, 08:07 PM
That's the first thing I thought of when I read the title too.

Well Duh,,,,
I thought it was a lead on where to poach free range cattle.

*Paladin*
05-01-2011, 09:14 PM
I love free lead! I picked up 15 lbs of range lead today, along with a LOT of brass! It was a good day!

WILCO
05-01-2011, 09:45 PM

That's all I feed my Milsurps. Makes their wood stocks nice and shiny too!

stubshaft
05-01-2011, 10:30 PM
It rained last night so at the range today I just picked up the nuggets. Took about 10 minutes.

fredj338
05-02-2011, 02:27 AM
Thanks guys. Looks like I'm going to build a screening box to sift out the dirt (Western NY clay) then hand-sort the rocks out. Check to make sure some lead is exposed somewhere on the slugs, and toss 'em in the pot.

Skim off the jackets, save them for a trip to the scrappers, flux, and cast ingots. Thanks guys!

That is how I berm mine. I wait until everyone has left the private range I shoot at, then hit the berm & sift out bullets only. Takes about 20min to get 75# or so, about all I want to carry the 50yds back to the truck. Nets about 55# of alloy. I don;t wash just sift out any rocks or clay target bits, then smash an TMJ bullets so the cores melt out.

bslim
05-02-2011, 06:27 PM
When you're dealing in range lead, like I do regularly, I put all of it in my case media seperater and give it a tumble. Takes all of the dirt and small pebbles out of the equation. Whatever is left will float to the top and can be skimmed off.

koehlerrk
05-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Okay, made my first batch of recycled free range lead.

Things I've learned:

1. I need to build a screen. Had waayyy too much dirt in this batch.
2. 9mm seems to use a really heavy jacket. I recovered a lot of copper from this mess.
3. Out of my 15# start, I netted 3# dirt, 5# of copper jackets, and 7# of wht looks to be pure lead. The ingots have that nice purple hue right now, so I'm pretty confident they're pure.
4. Checked everything beforehand, no TMJs at all. But that's not saying the next batch won't have some, so I'll keep my eyes open.
5. Does anyone have a good way to shake the lead out of jackets? I used a pair of needle nose pliers tonight. It worked, but was rather slow. Any better methods?

All told, I've got about 45 minutes time invested in those 7# of lead. Not a great return, but it's enough to make me want to do more. Also, there's 5# of copper. Not sure what #2 copper is going for right now, but even at $2/lb that's $10 worth. But, knowing me, I'll swap it for more lead the recycling yard.

jmsj
05-03-2011, 09:02 PM
koehleerk,
I mine the berm behind my house and two small ranges nearby. Between the two I gather enough usable lead to keep my wife's pistol and my S&W 686 and my two 1911's fed(about 4000-5000 rounds a year) and various other target loads. I have also been letting a young man that is just getting started in life and casting use my range scrap. I take the range scrap and mix it 50/50 with pure lead and add a little tin.
These are only target load level pressures and I don't test the BHN as I don't have a tester.
At the two ranges I just pick up what I find on the ground and I sift the range behind the house using 1/4" hardware cloth nailed to a frame.
I totally agree w Freightman about using a heavy lid. I have a 3/8" steel lid on the smelter I use to smelt range scrap.
Good luck, jmsj

koehlerrk
05-03-2011, 09:46 PM
jmsj,

Thanks for that. Yeah, I think I'm onto someting good here. I also think I'm the only one mining the berms. 1/4" hardware cloth and a wood frame is exactly what I was planning for a sieve. Between that, a spade, and a 5 gallon bucket, I should have a good pile of new lead in short order.

Not sure how much I'll use right now, but it doesn't hurt to collect it!

sargenv
05-04-2011, 01:13 AM
I use an old fryer basket to sift stuff at the range but I don't see why that wouldn't work for shaking the lead out of bullets coming out of the melt.. I have yet to try it though..

Jal5
05-04-2011, 11:30 PM
I use a large slotted spoon and shake it a little when picking the jackets out of the molten lead or tap it against the side of the pot. Works great the lead drops right out and it goes pretty quick.

JeffinNZ
05-04-2011, 11:45 PM
I pick up range lead all the time too. My range scrap tub must have 80lb in it right now and that's probably a bit over 12 months of picking.

clodhopper
05-05-2011, 01:10 AM
A pasta fork lets you get a big scoop of jackets from the hot pot and shake them good.
The ole slotted spoon was not getting it for me.
I spent quite a bit of time looking for an all metal pasta fork at second hand stores and garage sales finally bought one at Wal mart.
I screwed a couple peices of oak to the handle for insulation.

Bisley Blackhawk .45
05-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Greetings All, I have been picking up range scrap after our Cowboy Action shoots at our local range for...like...forever....most look like lead quarters with red or blue lube still attached ;-)...some are mine I'm sure. I then turn these "quarters" into boolets and the whole process starts over. These lead "quarters" are alloyed (sic?) and make fine boolets with little bits of dirt and gravel to flux out...just make sure they are DRY if you add more to the melt. It is easy to pick up 3 or 4 empty 12 gauge shotshell boxes in a short period. I have NEVER had any issues with any range scrap. Range scrap if you can get it is a great way to get lead for casting. I did buy a little rake from Big Lots to help pile it into a pile making pickup easier. I have never had issues with cast boolets from range scrap causing leading. Pick up all you can! Bisley

a.squibload
05-09-2011, 04:00 AM
Be sure to flux before picking out jackets, that will help get the lead out.