PDA

View Full Version : Lyman all american turret parts ?

FWest
04-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Just picked one up at the local gun show. This press is built like a tank. A little cleaning up and some oil and it works very smoothly. I'd like to give it a try but it has none of the parts needed to use regular shell holders or a bushing to use the 4th hole in the turret. I see that Lyman still sells the shell holder adapter but can't seem to find the bushing ? Any tips ?
Thanks, FWest

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/frankwest/lymanturret2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/frankwest/Lymanturret1.jpg

HeavyMetal
04-30-2011, 08:04 PM
I believe there a guy on e bay selling reconditioned All Americans and some parts.

I was looking for a primer feed for mine but wasn't ready to pay his price for one! He may have the bushing you want.

Another guy, on e bay, is selling 8 hole turrets for the All American which may be a more attractive option. I used him for a 6 hole turret for my Tru Line Jr. and am real happy I made that move!

Ben
04-30-2011, 08:06 PM
FWest :

During your cleaning, when you take the turret off, be certain that the detent ball and spring don't fall out from the underside of the turret.

Don't ask how I know about that !

Here is my attempt at a " Lyman All American " facelift .

BTW.....post # 5 shows the bushing that you need.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=101557

BCall
04-30-2011, 08:12 PM
Yeah, detent ball and spring! I have one I picked up very cheap a little while back, and I found out why when I got it. Evidently the previous owner took off the turret and lost them. Now I need to find one. Anyone got a picture of them and sizes so I can find a replacement? Thanks, Billy

Ben
04-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Billy :

This may not be of a lot of help.....I measured the ball it is .3105 " I wanted to get it out and measure the spring length . It didn't seem to want to come out. So I left well enough alone. ( You know....if it isn't broke, don't try to fix it. )

Don't know how much this will help you ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/001-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/002-2.jpg

BCall
04-30-2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks Ben, that helps. I may just take the turret into the hardware store and see if I can get a spring that seems close. Is there much tension on the spring or is it hard to compress? Hopefully I can find something close and put the old warhorse back into use.

Just thinking now though, I wonder if those 8 hole turrets come with it or if you are supposed to use the ones from your press. I might have to shoot that guy a message and see how it works. Thanks much, Billy

KCSO
04-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Let me see how many AA sell holders I still have spare. Also Vega makes a replacment that takes the regular shell holder, but you can't prime with them. I do have a spare turret head and some other parts for the AA.

BCall
04-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Back to the original poster, that last station has a very odd thread size, something like 1.095x28? Your best bet may be to have it rethreaded for a bushing like what is in the Rockchucker/Lee Classic cast.

KCSO, if the OP doesn't want ony of the parts you might have extra, I would be interested in them. Thanks much, Billy

Ben
04-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Billy ,

I'd think that a well stocked Ace Hardware might be a good place to start looking.

Ben

FWest
04-30-2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks guys, KCSO please let me know.
FWest

HeavyMetal
04-30-2011, 10:06 PM
One more thing: not all the "stock" turret's had the larger hole in them. if you can't find a bushing you may find an original turret for a decent price.

Kevin Rohrer
05-01-2011, 12:21 AM
CH/4D sells a universal adapter for $10 or so. They may also sell the turret insert.

WWW.ch4d.com

Here is the AA I reconditioned awhile back.
http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/Reloading/IMG_0253.jpg
It, along with the primer feed and several AA shellholders is for sale.

Mike W1
05-01-2011, 12:34 PM
I believe there a guy on e bay selling reconditioned All Americans and some parts.

I was looking for a primer feed for mine but wasn't ready to pay his price for one! He may have the bushing you want.

Another guy, on e bay, is selling 8 hole turrets for the All American which may be a more attractive option. I used him for a 6 hole turret for my Tru Line Jr. and am real happy I made that move!

Believe I have a primer system for mine and being I will never use it anyhow I'd surely sell it. I guess a PM would be the way to go if you're still wanting one and then I'll double check what I have.

HeavyMetal
05-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Mike W1: You Da Man!

Seriously if you have one I am interested, pending funds of course. Please send me that PM and thanks!

shotman
05-01-2011, 07:28 PM
the AA had 2 types of primer arms too . as for large hole check with Pressman he collects old Herters stuff and that is same thread if you cant find one let me know by pm I will trade a 4 reg hole . The large one is for shotgun dies and have several of them
lyman sells the replacement holder and primer seaters but the primer arm dont work with them .

OH looking for a J holder Number 10 anyone have one ????

FWest
05-01-2011, 08:52 PM
I found the shell holder adapter. Also don't need any primer stuff. I will pm pressman and ask about the bushing. Thanks for the info.

shotman
05-01-2011, 09:05 PM
as I said the primer arm dont work with the new adapter on most shell as the clearence between dies and holder is not enough. I dont use mine most times as foud it easy to just put in one at a time . If you dont have it you wont miss it and if you have one you wont use it

BCall
05-01-2011, 09:10 PM
I thought I had a 10 shotman, but it is a 19, sorry. Anybody need a #19 for 30 carbine?

Pressman
05-01-2011, 09:14 PM
I do not have a bushing for the AA press. Like has been said it is an odd thread size and hard to come by. It was not a common accessory for Lyman and all AA presses are not tapped for it. Mine is not.
Ken

BCall
05-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Was able to get my AA press back in working order. 5/16" ball bearing was a perfect fit. Got a couple of 5/16" diameter springs to ry. Had to cut them down to fit, and I think I still need a slightly heavier one, but at least it is working now. Thanks, Billy

edward hogan
05-28-2011, 02:57 PM
I bought a replacement shellholder from Lyman that allows use of standard shellholders. It isn't spring retained, so you still have to use the set-screw, but there you are. If Lyman had done snap-in spring retention, would likely be using the press more often.

Something about the float you get with the spring tension versus hardmounted using set screw. Want that float so brass concentricity isn't compromised... Not like the springs are any big deal to make, could adapt it pretty easy I'm sure. Just never motivated to do so.

Ben
05-31-2011, 10:49 PM
Billy,

Good to hear that you're back up and running. Where did you find your 5/16 ball bearing and spring ?

Ben

Ben
05-31-2011, 10:51 PM
I bought a replacement shellholder from Lyman that allows use of standard shellholders. It isn't spring retained, so you still have to use the set-screw, but there you are. If Lyman had done snap-in spring retention, would likely be using the press more often.

Something about the float you get with the spring tension versus hardmounted using set screw. Want that float so brass concentricity isn't compromised... Not like the springs are any big deal to make, could adapt it pretty easy I'm sure. Just never motivated to do so.

I've heard of people using a hvy. rubber band. Allows the shell holder some " play " to assist in proper alignment.

BCall
05-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Just saw your post Ben, sorry. I got the ball and spring at the Ace hardware in the next town over.

I also got the Lyman adapter for standard shellholders. I've been toying with the idea of using heat shrink tubing to hold the shellholders in place. May not be as easy as a rubber band, but could give it a little "float". I'm only going to use it for a couple of calibers anyway, so changing shellholders won't be a priority.

quasi
06-06-2011, 06:25 AM
how about using an "O" ring?

Ben
06-06-2011, 07:11 AM
quasi :

Yes, the " O " rings sounds like the answer to me also ?

MikeS
06-10-2011, 05:27 AM

I just got one of his 4 hole turrets for one of my Tru-Line Jr. presses (I have 2 of them), and so far it seems to work fine. Nice workmanship on his part. That along with Lyman's shell holder adapter, and this press is ready to work with modern tooling!