PDA

View Full Version : Scrap collection

Jamesconn
04-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Well today has been completely futile i have driven to numerous tire shops they don't have any all the scrap yards are closed on a Saturday and I have t found anything at a dozen flea markets it feels like the world is working against me what do I do to get scrap

bumpo628
04-30-2011, 05:08 PM
Between the Swapping & Selling page and the Vendor Sponsors page, there is always something that you can buy.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=86491
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=63886

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-30-2011, 05:09 PM
I recently scored a couple of buckets of WW, but had to pay the going price the scrap yards pay, which was 44¢ per lb. Now add that fact that I get some Iron, Zinc, and other krap I don't want. Then add time, equipment, and propane or other fuel to smelt them down. then add all the time and fuel to get search them out.

I've found that buying them from vendors or other members in the sellin' and swappin' for about $1 plus ship is about the same price...without all the work.

that's just my thoughts.
Jon

Ole
04-30-2011, 08:09 PM
Keep at it!

When I first started, I would do the tire shop thing. You ask 10 shops and get 9 "no's", every no is a different reason, but the one yes you get is worth the trouble.

Otherwise you can always just buy your alloy like others have suggested.

Even if you have to pay $1/lb for your alloy, you can still make bullets @ the rate of .0142 cents per grain.

100 grain bullet costs you 1.4 cents.
200 grain bullet costs you 2.8 cents.

That's still a lot cheaper than you can buy jacketed bullets for.

WRideout
04-30-2011, 08:29 PM
My tire shop has been good to me, but I did find another potential source. A while ago, we had a roof put on our house. The roofer pulled off several large pieces of pure lead flashing, from around vent pipes that penetrate the roof. When I asked, he brought me a couple more pieces from another job. This is pure soft lead, so I am keeping it seperate from the WW. I haven't found a need to go back for more, but I would consider asking a roofer or contactor if they wouldn't mind keeping it for you. It's not usually enough to bother going to the scrap yard.

Wayne

bslim
05-02-2011, 10:11 AM
My sentiments excactly" Keep At It". The more people you talk to, the better off you are. Word gets around, and I've found guys calling me a month later, asking if I still wanted WW's and was given locations as to where to find them. Lot's of my buddies shoot, but not all of them cast their own bullets. They all know I look for lead in various forms and most of them will take the time to pass the information onto me. Starting out is a slow process, but advertising and making personal contacts pays off in the end.