PDA

View Full Version : Great mould maintenance tip!

geargnasher
04-30-2011, 04:07 PM
I was re-reading "From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners© " by Glen and Rick, found this little tidbit. Often I find my moulds, particularly Lee and NOE moulds, having the vents blocked by metal burrs. These are difficult to remove without leaving barbs on the boolits, but the checkering tool idea is tops:

Venting. It is very difficult to cast a useable bullet from a mould that is inadequately vented. Some of the more common mass produced moulds usually come out of the box with vent lines that are partially blocked at the cavity. This can occur in most any mould made with vent lines. The partial blocking of the vent lines occurs in moulds that have the blocks vented before the cavities are cut with the cherry. Almost all machineable material leaves small burrs at the edges of the machined area. In moulds this occurs at the edges of the cavities. The burrs themselves are normally quite small, but can be enough to partially block the very thin vent lines. These burrs can be easily removed with the blade of a pocket knife, but is recommended that a 60o bent checkering file, fine cut, be used as it leaves no inside burrs and does a much cleaner job. Only remove the burr. Do not attempt to cut the vent lines deeper. After the burrs in the vent lines are removed, the edges of the cavity can be lightly rubbed with a piece of 0000 steel wool to ensure smoothness at the site of the vent."

Gear

Reloader06
04-30-2011, 04:32 PM
Good stuff. I am in the process of reading that book. Life keeps getting in the way!

Matt

cbrick
04-30-2011, 04:43 PM
I was re-reading "From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners© " by Glen and Rick, found this little tidbit. Gear

No No No,

By Glen E. Fryxell and Robert L. Applegate

Rick had no part in writing this exceptional book. Wish I could claim a bit of it but it's not so.

Credit where credit is due, I published it on the web and in pdf, did not write it.

Rick

geargnasher
04-30-2011, 05:18 PM
My aplogies to you, Rick, and to Mr. Applegate as well, I knew that, just had an episode of brain flatulance. I associated your name closely with that publication because you were so instrumental in making it available to all of us.

Gear

shotman
04-30-2011, 06:09 PM
KROIL all you need

cbrick
04-30-2011, 07:37 PM
KROIL all you need

Hhmmm . . . Kroil to remove metal burs, I think that warrants an explanation. :???:

Rick

captaint
04-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks Rick. I was thinking it was me!!! The Kroil thing, I mean. I do use it when I'm done casting with a mold, though. enjoy MIke

cbrick
05-01-2011, 03:16 PM
I associated your name closely with that publication because you were so instrumental in making it available to all of us. Gear

It's an honor to be considered in the same thought as Glen's book, I just didn't want any readers of this post to get the wrong idea and think that I should have any credit for the writing of the book.

Well, I did get a couple of my pictures into the book, does that count? [smilie=1:

Rick

MikeS
05-01-2011, 11:52 PM
I didn't know it was available as a PDF! Where can I download the PDF version? Also is it in one big file, or is each chapter a file?

Dale53
05-02-2011, 02:03 AM
MikeS;
Open the page and look at the upper left for "pdf"...

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

Dale53

cbrick
05-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Or right here:

From Ingot To Target, pdf version (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf)

Rick