PDA

View Full Version : .327 Federal Magnum

tchepone
04-30-2011, 12:21 AM
:?:
Is anyone out there shooting the .327 Federal Magnum? I find some old posts on this forum but nothing of late.
I know brass is a problem and very few guns have been made in the caliber, but surely someone else has done some work with it. I think it is a good caliber with possibilities. If we can get the manufacturers to support it with brass and additional gun models, it should not end up an orphan. BTW, Freedom Arms has brass. It is Federal head stamped and comes primed.

I have been working with a Ruger Blackhawk, Buckeye Convertible, 6½" barrel. It's a nice heavy 3 cylinder gun and can take some serious loads. I have 32-20, 32 H&R and the .327 Cylinder, (the .327 is another 32H&R cylinder which I had lengthened). I haven't slugged the barrel yet but the throats are all 0.311". So far I have only been working with jacketed bullets. (I know, I'm sorry, the J word is a no no here, but bear with me). I have had excellent results with up to 12.5gr of WW 296, CCI 350 primers & 100gr Hornady XTP bullets. Groups have been in the .75" to 1.25" at 50 yards, from a solid rest.

I have just begun to venture into cast boolits with this gun. To date the results have not been promising. I'm using a 100gr LRNFP, sized to .314, (they were given to me by a friend). The alloy is unknown, but my Cabine Tree indicates a 14BHN. The lube is Rooster Red. I'm not getting any leading issues. The only powder I have used thus far, for cast boolits, has been Alliant Power Pistol, 5.5 to 7.5gr. The best group has been 2.75" at 25 yards, not stellar performance. Has anyone tried 115-120gr, or larger, cast boolits?
I loaded and fired a few 60gr LRN, and they were all over the paper. I expect that bullet is just too light for this gun in anything but low power loads.
I plan to try additional powders and boolits. I have a couple molds enroute from friends, (I know, another no no, never loan your molds), and as soon as they arrive I'll cast boolits of various alloys up to and including lino-type.
I am waiting on a reply from PatMarlins for a set of Checkmaker dies. Perhaps putting gas checks on the boolits will help.
If anyone has worked with this caliber, I'd be very interested in loads with various bullets and the results, especially if they were shot in a Ruger Blackhawk or Single Six. What are you sizing too, your throats, your bore diameters, your alloys, etc.
As I continue into this process I'll post some of my data and results, including the good and anything I learn which would be best to be avoided.

So if anyone has any info or data, share the wealth guys. It will be appreciated. Thanks!!

tchepone

2 dogs
04-30-2011, 01:41 AM
I use H110, LBTs 118 gr GC bullet and magnum pistol primers in my Harton custom Single Six. Velocity is 1550 fps from a 6" bbl.

You need to have a look at the 32 sixgun sledgehammer in the active group buy section.

leftiye
04-30-2011, 04:34 AM
I opened a Lyman 311576 up to .317" and size it .315" for my .314" barrel. It's a 120 gr. LRNGC. I load it hot, and it shoots purty well. Haven't chronoed it yet.

tchepone
04-30-2011, 12:23 PM
2 dogs....that's a good velocity with that bullet. What sort of grouping are you getting with that load in your single six? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think current production of H-110 & 296 are the same powder.
Also will check out 32 sixgun sledgehammer, thanks.

tchepone
04-30-2011, 12:29 PM
leftiye....I see it might behoove me to slug my barrel first thing. What gun are you shooting?
Thanks.

2 dogs
04-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Less than an inch at 25 yards. That LBT bullet carries well at longer ranges as well. Steel silhouettes aint got a chance and the clang is authoritative!

tchepone
04-30-2011, 05:31 PM
2 dogs....awesome grouping. When it hits the steel I'll bet it ends up a nice nickle sized flat.
Is Verle still or back in business? I have one of his lead hardness testers and it need calibration. I'd like to try one of those 118gr GC bullets. I assume it is a WFN?

lbaize3
04-30-2011, 11:13 PM
I have just finished loading 6 boxes of 327 with a 112gr gas checked hollowpoint bullet. I am pushing it with 11.5 grains of AA #9. It shot very well out of my Taurus snubnose. Haven't had time to go it to the range and shoot my Blackhawk 8 shot. In my buckeye I plan to load my 32 H&R with about 9 grains of #9. I have a 118 grain gas check RNFP and a 115 grain semiwadcutter both with and without gaschecks. The 32-20 is going to get a good dose of AA 1680 as recommended by Paco Kelly. I am a member of Loaddata and use the Oregon Trails data as a starting point for many of my loads. For just fun shooting I use 3.5 grains of red dot pushing a 115 grain plain base semiwadcutter in 32 H&R brass.

You will enjoy the 327. I know I do. Wish I had a rifle for it, but will make do with one of my 32-20 rifles.

Swede44mag
05-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Interesting Post ever since I seen Charles Bronson shootin a 32 in death wish I thought it would be a cool caliber.
Does anyone make one in a double action with adjustable sights in a 6' or longer barrel?
I have a Stainless Steel DW 357 with a 8" barrel it is to bad they sold out to CZ a 327 SS Dan would be to cool.

Shooter6br
05-03-2011, 04:36 PM
i have a Ruger SP101 in 32 mag also a Blackhawk in 327 federal. I have commerial ammo for both for CCW i find the 32 mag case has enought capacity for up to 118 g SWC . I also use 32 long and 32 Auto cases in the 327 FED. Like to get some 327 Mag cases but since i have a 32 mag I will use them for both guns Just fits my needs simple for me

tchepone
05-04-2011, 03:31 PM
I slugged my Blackhawk barrel. I comes out .313. I have a .314 Star die on order from the Latheman. I contacted PatMarlins for a set of Checkmaker dies, but alas he doesn't have them available yet.

The 32 moulds, which my friend sent me on loan, turned out to be .323. I cast a few bullets from one of them but I feel they are going to be too large a diameter to to size down to .314. Anyone have any opinions as to that last statement, or experience doing so. The moulds are Lyman 32359 & 32362. The 32359 drops my wheel weight mix at .3235, (average of 10). I haven't cast any in the 32362. So I'm holding in the pattern until I pick up a mould of my own. Until then I'll continue to work with those 115gr bullets I have and try to find a load which will group better than the 2.5" @ 25 yards I have experienced so far.

I don't like the bore (.313) being larger than the throats (.311) but it is what it is. It is the only revolver I have like that. All others have throats larger than the bore. Is this a negative condition? Will the bullet size up to seal the bore with hard cast bullets? The .312, 100gr Hornady XTP, jacketed stuff shoots great.

Swede44mag
05-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Measure the cast boolits to the bottom of the grease groove if you size down to far you will not have any were for the boolit lube. Ther bore shouldn't be larger than the throats or your boolits will not have a chance for accuracy. The throats can be larger but not the bore.

leadman
05-05-2011, 10:57 AM
You may have to run those .325" boolits thru a .323" sizer first as sometimes this helps keep the lube grooves open when sizing down further.

Multigunner
05-05-2011, 11:40 PM
I slugged my Blackhawk barrel. I comes out .313. I have a .314 Star die on order from the Latheman. I contacted PatMarlins for a set of Checkmaker dies, but alas he doesn't have them available yet.

The 32 moulds, which my friend sent me on loan, turned out to be .323. I cast a few bullets from one of them but I feel they are going to be too large a diameter to to size down to .314. Anyone have any opinions as to that last statement, or experience doing so. The moulds are Lyman 32359 & 32362. The 32359 drops my wheel weight mix at .3235, (average of 10). I haven't cast any in the 32362. So I'm holding in the pattern until I pick up a mould of my own. Until then I'll continue to work with those 115gr bullets I have and try to find a load which will group better than the 2.5" @ 25 yards I have experienced so far.

I don't like the bore (.313) being larger than the throats (.311) but it is what it is. It is the only revolver I have like that. All others have throats larger than the bore. Is this a negative condition? Will the bullet size up to seal the bore with hard cast bullets? The .312, 100gr Hornady XTP, jacketed stuff shoots great.
Sounds like the mold is for 8mm Lebel revolver bullets, or for the 7.5 Swedish Nagant revolver.

Bullet bump up in rifles can continue for several inches past the throat, allowing the bullet to pass through constricted areas of the bore , from carbon infiltration of gator checking or thick jacket fouling, and then still fill out the grooves. It depends greatly on the powder burning rate and pressure curve.
Others have posted of experiments in firing revolvers in other chamberings with barrel removed and bullets showing signs of bumping up after leaving the cylinder.

rststeve
05-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Multigunner you are right it is for the 8mm label. I shoot the lyman 311316 115gr gas check with 12gr H110 Ruger GP 100 it shoots about 2" at 25 yards. I am no gunslinger just having fun good luck. I will keep my eye on your post this should be good info