PDA

View Full Version : Lee 2 c mould problem

Shuz
04-30-2011, 12:12 AM
Folks--I have a Lee 44-200RNFP 2C mould that has one of the bottom alignment pins that keeps falling out. I have re-inserted it several times and use a punch to try and hold it in, but it keeps falling out. What next?

rayzer
04-30-2011, 12:59 AM
If You like that style of boolit. I would retire that mold, and replace it with a 6 cavity Lee mold. The Lee 6 cavity molds are much nicer to work with, and better finished. The 2-6 cavity molds that I have, produce a mountain of boolits in a short time. I have a .357-105 SWC. 2 cavity mold that has produced well over 10,000 boolits for me. It was my first mold. It also has problems with the alignment pin falling out. I think that I got my $25 out of that mold. I am retiring this mold, and I am going to replace it with a .357-105 SWC. 6 cavity mold.

04-30-2011, 01:02 AM
Use the punch to re-peen the opening. It seems that there are times when Lee's official pin inserter and peener gets to day dreaming, as does the Quality Control person.

Shuz
04-30-2011, 09:37 AM
Use the punch to re-peen the opening. It seems that there are times when Lee's official pin inserter and peener gets to day dreaming, as does the Quality Control person.

That's what I've tried to do---re-peen the opening, but the pin keeps falling out sideways as tho it is too short. Maybe I need a longer "pin" that will stay in the hole better?(hee hee)

rayzer
04-30-2011, 11:14 AM
That's what I've tried to do---re-peen the opening, but the pin keeps falling out sideways as tho it is too short.

The same thing happened with my mold. Everey time I tried to fix it, it would last for a couple hundred boolits then it would fall out again. Now I cannot even get 100 boolits out of it, before it falls out.

MtGun44
04-30-2011, 11:44 PM
Call Lee.

Bill

MT Gianni
05-02-2011, 06:54 PM
I fear they will say "2 year warrenty". Even a bic lighter runs empty evnetually. I would keep peening as long as possible as the other option is to replace it.

mooman76
05-02-2011, 08:39 PM
I've sent a few things back to Lee and they always replaced it for free and never questioned the 2 year warrenty.

geargnasher
05-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Let it be Lee's problem. That qualifies as a defect in materials and/or workmanship in my book, even a $20 mould shouldn't have pieces falling off of it.

I have a large fleet of Lee moulds, mostly two-bangers of all vintages, and have never had a pin fall out or a handle come off. The six-cavity handles fall off when you take them out of the package, though, and have to be pinned before the first use!

That being said, perhaps you're beating it to death to cut the sprue or get the boolits to drop?

Try cutting the sprue while it's still soft using only a gloved thumb, and try removing the burrs on the edges of the cavities with a pencil to get the boolits to drop easier.

Gear

475BH
05-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Do you know someone that works in a machineshop?
They could add 2 round alignment pins to it, like the normal molds.
As long as you didn't have to pay for labor, it would be worth it (or a 12 pk. of Leinies).

Buddy
05-05-2011, 06:35 PM
I just recently sent one back and they replaced it, no questions.

JKH
05-06-2011, 01:23 PM
I have a 180 grain .30 cal mold that did the same thing, what I finally figured out that the pin hole was drilled so that nothing was left on the sides to help retain the pin. I still have it but found the mold functions perfectly well without it, and casts such nice boolits I figured it wasnt worth sending it back.
How does yours cast without the pin? If it doesnt cast well and drives you nuts then I heartily aree to send it back, I have had LEE send me all kinds of parts for free, every time I e-miled to ask how much they always e-mailed back for my mailing info and I had the parts in a few days, a mold though I am sure they will request you send it back (I had an improperly machined 6 gang .22 Bator, they had me send it back and replaced it all in under a week, all the other parts they just mailed out new).

Jeff