PDA

View Full Version : Harpman's love nest

Harpman
12-16-2006, 08:29 PM
New and improved, remodeled gunroom.

http://harmonicaplayer.com/gunroom.jpg

RayinNH
12-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Harpman, nice looking setup. Just don't use a vacuum cleaner to pick up spilled powder off of that carpeting though...Ray

No_1
12-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Very nice! We should all be this lucky.

Robert

versifier
12-16-2006, 09:14 PM
I don't know. It's looks suspiciously neat to me. Are you sure you can actually work there?:mrgreen: I see SPACE on the work surfaces and nothing on the floor to fall over. What a world.....

Harpman
12-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Thanks gents...Remember !....A clean reload room is a Happy reload room !
:-D

RayinNH
12-16-2006, 09:35 PM
The maid must have just left. [smilie=1:...Ray

Baldy
12-16-2006, 09:41 PM
Harpman that is a great looking set up you have there. I bet you can really relax and do your thing in there.

Harpman
12-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Hey..I am a maid !....thats what I do besides playing harmonicas....Maid service and lawn care...here's a couple songs for you guys, from a CD I did with "Doc Holliday"..Yep...sit in here listening to blues and packin bullets...ahh, if only I could smoke cigars and drink beer while I do it..:drinks:
http://www.harmonicaplayer.com/7.wma
http://www.harmonicaplayer.com/8.wma

rebliss
12-16-2006, 11:26 PM
I like the single action revolver wrapped up and setting on that locker--gives it a 'completed' look in there! Nice space!

NVcurmudgeon
12-17-2006, 12:24 AM
Harpman, beautiful! I don't see a casting setup in the picture. Do you do your casting elsewhere to keep the lead splatters out of your nice clean shop? That's what I do.

Harpman
12-17-2006, 12:46 AM
Thanks.....yea, I cast out in the workshop or just outside of it.. for C&R's , a Sharps, roundball and the Vaquero in the pic , just sold off my Shotshell reloading stuff...havent been shooting the sporting clays too much lately..I made a neat setup that made shot out of wheel weights, works really good, my shotshell cost was down to powder, primers and wads..kinda like the littleton, except it used a propane setup for heat...but now the sharps is taking up all my time.

Topper
12-17-2006, 02:03 AM
Nice looking reloading setup and some smooth lick's to boot ;)

scrapcan
12-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Harpman,

could you provide more info on the shot maker and your process? I have been collecting designs and stuff on shot makers for some time now. I have a few in the files.

Have only used the littleton shot makers. Both the 2 spout and 6 spout. You can run a bunch of shot in a hurry.

I have an idea of making a shot cooling stand so you don't have to cool in a liquid. I have been contemplating using a small portable airconditioner that feeds into the bottom of a pipe. Not gotten all the kinks out of apotential design yet. And have not tried it to see if you cn get spherical shot with just air cooling.

I know if you use diesel fuel you get tails, if you use water you get dimples (cavitation of the surface of the shot), but if you use glycol (antifreeze) you get round shot. Washing and drying is a pain. Then you have to coat shot with graphite (use john deere planter graphite as to it being cheap and comes in large containers, usually used in planters with plates).

Anyway woudl be interested in your setup. You can pm or post here. I would like to see pics and specs.

Jeremy

Harpman
12-20-2006, 06:39 PM
I used the littleton drippers, a set of 6, welded together a pan 8x8 about 2 inches tall,( 1/8 inch steel) , drippers placed about center, 1 inch high... with a metal handle sticking out one side of the pan,,about a foot long...placed a metal ammo can full of antifreeze next to the burner setup...only melting enough lead to just come below the drippers, too much lead just dont work, ( like say if you placed the drippers 2 inches high)..when I tried that, the shot had too much head pressure and was deformed....then when its ready, tilt the pan towards the antifreeze can, only enough to make it drip, you have to keep raising it very slowly to keep it coming out....dont raise it so the lead is way higher than the drippers...have it just enough to keep flowing..... it comes out the drippers drops about 3/8 inch to the ramp on the edge of the pan, then about the same distance to the top of the antifreeze..they were coming out near perfect ball shape..#9 drippers.............I used cement blocks at the base of the burner and antifreeze can..to keep it all stable when I tilt pan..

scrapcan
12-20-2006, 10:54 PM
A good friend who showed me how to make shot (and alot of other things about firearms and casting) showed me how he solved the problem of shot drop distance. He used a small overflow tube and a catch container. It works great.

I had thought about what you have done only using a burner element and rheostat temperature control from an electric range and basically recreating the littleton shot maker. But being able to use a propane burner has advantages also.

Thanks for the into.

Murphy
12-21-2006, 12:35 AM
Extremely nice. Gotta love that.

As for the tunes? Love it'.....been a blues lover for a long time. My reloading/casting room is always 'booming' and it ain't gun powder. *GRIN*

Murphy

PatMarlin
12-21-2006, 03:20 AM
It's just clean for the pic Harpman... tell the truth.. :mrgreen:

You guys may be interested to know both Harpman's and my birthdays are on the same day. He's a year older.

Both (professional) musicians, and both cast boolit shooters.

If that isn't a rarity.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Beau Cassidy
12-21-2006, 08:11 AM
You need to run a tornado thru there to get it functional.

robertbank
12-21-2006, 09:49 AM
My bride sees that picture and I am dead meat! So that is what the bottom of a reloading bench looks like. Ummm sounds like a tomorrow project for me to clean up. Yup I'll do that tomorrow.

Take Care

bob

carpetman
12-21-2006, 11:02 AM
Pat Marlin---You tried to be sneaky and just list your date of birth as July 25----no year. Now the world knows it is July 25,1959. I would put the 1959 in caps but it looks like cartoon cussing when I do. What insruments do you play and what type music? Also can we hear some of it? You mention that Harpman is musician and cast bullet shooter-----but you didnt say if he uses paypal.

carpetman
12-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Pat Marlin---Nevermind about whether Harpman uses paypal. Anybody that is that anal about keeping his reloading room looking like that is bound to be a maladjusted misfit that uses paypal--and has all types of other character flaws---some possibly worse than using paypal--but doubtful.

rebliss
12-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Hey Carpetman--San Angelo, huh? I like it down that way a whole bunch. Really friendly folks and a nice atmosphere. I'm in the Metroplex. I'd live down that way if'n I could.

PatMarlin
12-21-2006, 08:51 PM
I invoke the fifth.. :mrgreen:

PatMarlin
12-21-2006, 08:56 PM
The old Pat... :mrgreen:

Harpman
12-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Dang, next thing, you guys will be accusing me of drinkin light beer ur sumtin!..

ron brooks
12-21-2006, 09:39 PM
Hey Guys,

Did you know that Harpman cleans his shop and and drinks lite beer. I'll bet he even shoots jacketed bullets. :-D

Watch out,

Ron

robertbank
12-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Naw water guns don't need jackets.:mrgreen:

Merry Christmas

Bob

ron brooks
12-22-2006, 12:41 AM
Sure they do, ain't you heard of water jackets? :)

Naw water guns don't need jackets.:mrgreen:

Merry Christmas

Bob

threett1
12-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Disgustingly nice setup there Harp. You play with "Doc" all the time? I saw them in a show somewheres, but for the life of me can't remember where. Couldn't been out at Cornerstone Festival could it? Buggin me now.

Harpman
12-26-2006, 03:29 PM
I play with them as much as I want, usually I wait till they come in my area, somewhere I can easily drive home from late at nite...He keeps threatening to take me over seas, but I am not even sure I want to go there...this whole music scene, just isnt what it used to be, the money at gigs aint all that when you add up total time and expenses, one good thing, because of them I atleast get free harmonicas from Hohner now, that helps alot, I can blow a harp out quick and they cost 20-25 bucks now..So I play around georgia and alabama, and record with them..they live 100 miles from me, they are in Macon...no tellin where you seen them, they never stopped gigging in the last 30 years...coulda been a concert hall or a small club anywhere in the US..they used to tour with Allmans, stevie ray, marshall tucker, all those guys..

PatMarlin
12-27-2006, 03:47 AM
Harpman-

You ever blow any of Lee Oskar's harps? I've fooled around with the harmonica, and thought I might start to learn to play one. I kinda wished I had played another instrument beside the keys. Draggin' gear around is/was a pain.

I may start playing with this local group, and I think I may look for an old Wurly electric piano. I've got a real cool old vintage Fender Rhodes that I'll sell, and it's worth some serious bucks. I've had them all- B3, clav, wurlys, rhodes, moogs, arps, oberhiems, and on and on... :mrgreen:

My ears can't take much anymore, and I'm really fortunate my hearing is as good as it is. I found these earplugs on the web for musicians that supposedly drop the volume as much as 25 db, but retain an accurate frequency response. If these work, I might start playing again.

http://www.sensaphonics.com/prod_erseries_customs.html

Harpman
12-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Those Lee Oskars are the toughest harps out there...I have some I had for ten years...they last alot longer than any other harp..But I dont like the size of them..I got used to the marine band, they fit my hands perfect..but the lee's sound great and I do use them for the keys I dont play most of the time.

PatMarlin
12-27-2006, 10:36 AM
That's one thing that caught my eye with those, aside from Lee's sound obviously, was the key's they come in.

I just came across this old picture this morning. This was a tour in Europe in early 1980.

Try to guess which one is me ...:mrgreen:

Harpman
12-27-2006, 02:33 PM
dang.......pics from the "olden days".....:)

redneckdan
12-29-2006, 12:15 AM
Just don't use a vacuum cleaner to pick up spilled powder off of that carpeting though...Ray

been there, done that, got a vaccum cleaner with scorch marks to prove it.[smilie=1:

PatMarlin
12-29-2006, 12:20 AM
I've used my little shop vac, and no fire yet.. :mrgreen:

joatmon
12-29-2006, 09:00 PM
Third from the left?

PatMarlin
12-29-2006, 09:22 PM
I'm the one with the full moon tan.. :mrgreen: