PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice from an oldtimer

odinohi
04-29-2011, 06:33 PM
I went to an alignment shop yesterday and picked up some WW's. After that the guy said that he had a bucket of ancient WW's that they werent aloud to use at home and that he would bring in for me today. Well I went and picked them up and the whole bucket had just one type and size of WW's. I cut into one with my small pair of sidecuts and it went in very easily. Makes me think that they are pure lead. Is that possible? Here is a photo that I just took. What do you think?
http://s642.photobucket.com/albums/uu146/odinohi/?action=view&current=GEDC0390-1.jpg

Sorry, all I could get to come up was a photobucket link. It seems to be working for me. Thanks, Tom

Defcon-One
04-29-2011, 07:24 PM
I don't know exactly what they are, but I melted a bunch of them the other day. They were mixed in with some other weights and were a little softer, though I do not think that they are pure lead. The clips were a little different than normal so I assumed that they were truck weights, but I'm not sure.

Here's your pic:

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu146/odinohi/GEDC0390-1.jpg

clodhopper
04-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Diffrent manafactures use the alloy of their choice.
You can notice the hardness of wheel weights vary if you try each one with the cutters.

Huntducks
04-30-2011, 01:07 PM
They look like old 2.5oz and 3oz WW. I love them big ones more lead less clips to scoup out.

My father in law manged a Firestone store for over 30 years retired in the early 90's I still have buckets full that he gave me from the late 60's and 70's and the older lg weights seem a little softer then the stuff today but every WW mfg seems to have a different alloy

Hardcast416taylor
04-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Those are lead from about the `80`s or early 90`s and are lead. If you could cut them - they`re lead! There should be no problem making bullets from them. If you wish to make them a bit harder, water quench them as cast.Robert

odinohi
04-30-2011, 09:07 PM
They melted very quickly. I smelted them in small batches. A golden hue formed on top of the melt immeadiately. I checked the temp that they were melting at and it was 430-440 degrees. It acted like pewter, solder or something. I got about 65lbs out of that bucket which I smelted seperately from the rest of my ww's. I think maybe I need to get it checked out and find out what its made of. What do you all think? Thanks, Tom