PDA

View Full Version : So what do we do with the zinc?

passgas55
04-29-2011, 03:15 PM
I have a line on some wheel weights, a good 5 gallon bucket full at 15 cents a pound. After I sort them out is there a market for the zinc? What would happen if you start casting with a 1 to 2 percent zinc in your boolits?

Wally
04-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Try to take the zincto a scrap yard--you might be able to trade for lead. Not a good idea to try to blend zinc w/lead...it will float on top and is is not castable.

Cowboy T
04-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Or you could cast shotgun slugs out of it. The Lee moulds are pretty amenable to that, given the cavity's very round shape.

bumpo628
04-30-2011, 02:11 AM
Or you could cast shotgun slugs out of it. The Lee moulds are pretty amenable to that, given the cavity's very round shape.

Any idea about the weight? Lee makes a 7/8 oz and a 1 oz.
Just curious as to what zinc drops at.

badbob454
04-30-2011, 03:07 AM

Dont think i would do that lee shotgun slugs are for pure (read soft lead )lead casting only as stated on the box... however , the lee oo buck molds should work great , although a little light , im going to cast mine in pigs or large blocks and save em for cash when im older , or sell them to toy casters , but i dont want to contaminate my lead / tin supply