PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Green Machine- 7/8 x 14 Dies?

Four Fingers of Death
12-16-2006, 07:26 PM
I am in a position to buy a pair of these. Are the dies standard 7/8 x 14s?

This would make the proposition a lot more attractive.

Also can you still buy adaptors for the powders thrower, etc?

Mick.

mooman76
12-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Yes 7/8 x 14 is the standard!

omgb
12-16-2006, 08:23 PM
MIc, I'd think twice about buying a Green Machine. These things are a notorious PITA and even RCBS can't seem to make them function reliably. My take on them is they are a lot like a boat, a hole in the water into which one dumps money.

Poygan
12-16-2006, 10:22 PM
Mic: I bought a virtually unused Green Machine in an estate auction. Included a bunch of rotors for the powder measure still in the wrappings. This was my first attempt to use a progressive and, most likely, the last. It was set up for the .30/.357. I could not get it to prime consistently! Perhaps the large primers would drop and prime more reliably but couldn't make it work, even with new parts from RCBS. I have seen a couple on ebay with the long primers tubes in the place of the standard system, so I assume this is a chronic problem. Maybe some of the folks here have been able to make them work. The kindest word I can use to describe the Green Machine is "hateful".

hammerhead357
12-16-2006, 10:30 PM
Mick, I had one in 38/357 and it was a PITA but if you like to tinker they can be made to work. I trashed the oem primer feed and subed a tube primer system and turned the rotors of to clear the tube. Then it primed properly, if you dump powder without a case under the powder measure it creates havoc.
Now having said that I still liked the d**ned thing and wish I still had it.
But I wish I had a Hornady L-N-L progressive too.
Wes

cherok9878
12-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Mick, Bought a RCBS Rock Chucker in 77, Thought i would repace it with a "BETTER" Green Machine. I still have and use the Rock Chucker( my only press) The Green Machine Left within three months and like a sorry woman, I was glad to see her go.

Ross
12-17-2006, 08:42 PM
The Green Machine, like all RCBS production, is warranted, but they generally try to swap you out for some current product to get them out of circulation. As they become more rare, they become more valuable to those few gifted tinkerers who love them.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross