PDA

View Full Version : Recomended .40 S&W mold for P229

Huntsman52
04-29-2011, 09:12 AM
I just aquired a Sig P229. I am new to reloading and need to get some info before I go out and buy a mold. Sig is .40 S&W. What have ya'll used in the past that works for a P229? Looking to stay with lee molds at this time.

Is a crip required for .40 S&W?

Also have some Universal powder. Hod. site does not have a cast boolit and universal formula for the .40 S&W. Does anyone have a recomendation on what to use? Lee load manual did not specify universal for cast boolits.

just need a path to go down.

Thanks,

SH

Doby45
04-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Lee 175gr-non TL TC and YES you do need to crimp a 40 . Only enough to remove the bell.

Firebricker
04-29-2011, 11:41 PM
I have the same pistol and started with the Lee 175gr TC and it did OK I had to make the OAL as long as possible or they would hang up on the feed ramp. I switched to the Lyman 175gr TC it has a smaller meplat and its rounded off more. The Lyman feeds a lot better in my 229 but the Lee will work. Like Doby said taper crimp enough to take the bell off the case.

As far as powder been using Bullseye for target loads and have been experimenting with HS-6,Blue Dot and SR4756 You should be able to substitute lead boolits for jacketed data the cast boolit will have less friction just start at the minimum load to be safe. FB

Huntsman52
04-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Great. thanks again for the input. will be searching for the lyman or lee this morning at all the major places in town.

Shooting a higher pressure round, does it require the cast to be a harder boolit?

Carolina Cast Bullets
04-30-2011, 08:45 AM
Log onto my website

www.carolinacastbullets.com

I have that exact bullet in my inventory. If you want to order some to try before you buy the mold, call or email.

The mold is stocked on Midway in either a 2 cavity or 6 cavity Lee mold. They work wonderfully and are quite easy to use. I would go to BullShot (also a Vendor Sponsor here) and order some Bullplate for lubing the sprue cutter. You wont regret it

Midway also stocks various other casting supplies such as lead pots, ladles, bottom pour pots, ingot molds, lube and so on.

Do you plan to tumble lube or use a lubrisizer? I use tumble lube and have no problems with it. Mix 45/45/10 (shown as a sticky from Recluse, along with excellent presentation of how to mix it) as a lube, much easier to use and much less mess than Lee Liquid Alox by itself.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

Doby45
05-01-2011, 01:12 AM
Shooting a higher pressure round, does it require the cast to be a harder boolit?

Nope, it requires a better "fit". Slug your barrel so you know what size you should be dealing with..

Huntsman52
05-02-2011, 01:00 PM
will slug it tonight. Thanks for all the help.