PDA

View Full Version : Modify a gas checked .44 mold to plain base?

L1A1Rocker
04-29-2011, 02:00 AM
So I just got this Miha .44 mold.
http://www.mp-molds.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=3&=SID

It drops a .433 295gr HP gas checked.

I ordered this for a Ruger 77/44 that I plan on building a suppressor on (Form 1 legal of course). I decided that I could just cast these and run them without the gas check - read that this should not be a problem.

Problem: I have an RCBS Lubrasizer that does not do so well with bevel base or gas checked boolits without the gas check on them. So I had an idea.

What if I modify the mold with an 11 mm drill bit to take out the gas check part? does anyone see a problem with this? Has anyone done this?

Thanks for the info.

BCall
04-29-2011, 02:33 AM
It has and could be done, but I wouldn't recommend it. I would send it to Buckshot or Eric at hollowpointmold.com and have it professionally done, and not risk messing up a wonderful MP mold. JMO, Billy

94Doug
04-29-2011, 02:47 AM
I agree with Billy. Ben just did this with a mould, and it turned out fine, but it was aquired for around 5 bucks and it had some problems, one of the cavities is still out of service. On a nice mould like that, I would leave it to a pro.

Doug

cbrick
04-29-2011, 09:18 AM
Take a drill bit to one of Miha's masterpieces? I almost threw up on the key board when I read that. What could possibly be the purpose of buying one of the finest, highest quality molds ever made and then take a drill bit to the cavities?

I wouldn't do that to a cheapo Lee mold, I gotta go lay down, I'm suddenly quite sick.

If the mold doesn't suit your needs sell it, don't destroy it.

Rick

white eagle
04-29-2011, 09:30 AM
yes it could be done if and the big IF you want to risk throwing the mold away if you screw it up
I would choose another tool such as a flat end mill or even a reamer

buck1
04-29-2011, 09:37 AM
+1 for buckshot.

Doby45
04-29-2011, 11:55 AM
I would send it to Buckshot or Erik to remove the GC...

youngda9
04-29-2011, 03:06 PM
I was thinking about removing the gas check from a Lee mold(profesionally done, of course).

What are everyone's thoughts on removing the gas check from their .44 240gr bullet? Would that make a good accurate bullet?

I was thinking about shooting the bullets withouth the GC as well...would that be along the lines of just using a bevel base type design?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=987910

bhn22
04-29-2011, 07:21 PM
If you want to shoot lead through a suppressor, you're going to miss the gascheck. I anticipate the lead from the unprotected base plating the inside of the suppressor. Buy a cheapie plain base mould for plinking

Boolseye
04-29-2011, 10:15 PM
What are everyone's thoughts on removing the gas check from their .44 240gr bullet? Would that make a good accurate bullet?
I don't see the point in it. I shoot those boolits without the GC for light to moderate .44 special loads and they're incredibly accurate, then throw the GC on for the boomers. Ruger super Blackhawk. Only .44 mold I use–love it. THe first one I bought dropped the boolits too small, but I sent it back to Lee and they hooked me up with a beauty. THat said, the original small boolits shot great, too.

L1A1Rocker
04-30-2011, 12:16 AM
Well, after reading this I'm really torn between sending it out and doing it myself. I saw the other thread where someone did it successfully themselves. I don't think it would be too hard but IF is make a mistake I ruin a cavity. . .

L1A1Rocker
04-30-2011, 12:20 AM
If you want to shoot lead through a suppressor, you're going to miss the gascheck. I anticipate the lead from the unprotected base plating the inside of the suppressor. Buy a cheapie plain base mould for plinking

I'm not too keen on a gas check seperation in the suppressor although it is very rare. As far a leading goes, it's no big deal. I've seen that on my .22s but not any of my centerfire's. I Form 1 all my suppressors myself so if there is a problem I just deal with it myself. My .22's that have had some lube build up I just toss in the sand blaster and hit em with glass bead media. Cleans up real quick.

MtGun44
04-30-2011, 11:47 PM
+1 on what cbrick said!!! This is not a $25 Lee mold, guys.

Bill

Ben
04-30-2011, 11:52 PM
L1A1Rocker

Since my name is mentioned above, I'll offer Ben's opinion on this subject ........Don't try it ! !

It is very tricky and there is a high probability that you'd ruin the mold. With that said, it is your mold, you make your own decision.

If I owned the mold and wanted the g/c shank removed, it would be in the mail to Buckshot or Erik so fast it would make your head spin. I wouldn't dare try it with the rudimentary tools ( and skills ) that most of us have .

Ben

white eagle
05-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Randy

I think you're wrong in saying if he does it the mould will be ruined. There's a good chance it might get ruined, but it's not a fact like you make it sound. Using a drill to remove a gc from a mould CAN be done, Ben & I both did it to a .30 mould with excellent results. True, a reamer would have been the better tool, but I used what I had.

I also have to wonder, 30 years in a machine shop and you don't know how to remove a gc from a mould? What does that say for your abilities?
I do believe the general opinion was that he could ruin it not that it was a done deal
this isn't a 13.00 Lee mold he is dealing with :groner:

Doby45
05-01-2011, 12:52 AM
You will go straight to casting purgatory if you jack up a $100 Miha brass mold with your twist drill.

MikeS
05-01-2011, 01:30 AM
Well, I deleted my message, as apparently the message I was replying to was deleted as well. Silly having a reply to a message that's no longer there.

And yes, I agree with most others, it would be silly to try such a thing with such a good mould. I mean if you've done this sort of thing dozens of times before, then go for it, but if it's your first try, that's insanity! At least go buy a couple of cheap Lee moulds to practice on first! :)

theperfessor
05-01-2011, 12:42 PM
I have to agree with the others. For every successful use-a-drill-on-a-mold job there are dozens of unsuccessful attempts that ruin a mold. It's your mold, but think about this: if you bought the mold new and the base band was a rough, wallowed out hole would you be happy? Or would you raise Cain and want your money back?

That's the most likely end result. Leave it alone or send it to one of the well regarded professionals who have the tools and knowledge to do it properly.

If it was a $10 yard sale used Lee I might give different advice, but a top notch mold is a bad thing to practice on.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-01-2011, 01:06 PM
L1A1Rocker,
I've ruined a Lee mold trying to do exactly what you are asking about doing.
It was real easy too :)
Jon

L1A1Rocker
05-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the input folks. My mold went out to Eric yesterday.

475BH
05-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Well then, it's too late for me to ask if you have a vertical mill or a lathe w/ a 4 jaw chuck then.
Would be a piece of cake w/ a boring bar w/ either one of those.

Ben
05-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Money well spent.
When you mold is back in your hands you'll be happy with your decision.

L1A1Rocker
05-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Well then, it's too late for me to ask if you have a vertical mill or a lathe w/ a 4 jaw chuck then.
Would be a piece of cake w/ a boring bar w/ either one of those.

I have a horizontal mill and 12 x 36 inch Atlas lathe. One of my other hobbies is making suppressors for myself, Form 1 legal of course.

This was new a new thing to me and as others so wisely pointed out - if it was a cheep garage sale special it would be worth the attempt and gain experience. But this being a brand new beautiful Miha mold, the risk was not worth the payoff.

That reminds me, I think I still need to post the final installment of my latest suppressor build on this site. . .

L1A1Rocker
05-23-2011, 06:07 PM
WOW!!! One week door to door service! Sent it off to Eric last Monday and it arrived back today. THANK YOU Eric!!!

Ben
05-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Money well spent.
When you mold is back in your hands you'll be happy with your decision.

I bet you don't regret it now , Uhh ?

I'm all for saving money, however...sometimes it just isn't worth it.

cbrick
05-23-2011, 06:46 PM
I bet you don't regret it now , Uhh ?

I'm all for saving money, however...sometimes it just isn't worth it.

Sometimes saving money can be a very expensive thing.

I'll bet L1A1Rocker is a happy camper now. And 1 week, yep, that sounds like Erik.

Rick

Ben
05-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Erik is fast and GOOD ! !

cbrick
05-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Mr. Rocker, how does it cast now?

Rick

L1A1Rocker
05-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Mr. Rocker, how does it cast now?

Rick

Don't know yet. It'll be a few days as I'm still recovering. I had an emergency appendectomy early Friday morning.

cbrick
05-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Yikes!

Or is that Ouch . . .

Rick

Bula
05-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Speedy recovery- L1A1, then get to castin'

williamwaco
05-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the input folks. My mold went out to Eric yesterday.

He has done this for me before. You will be happy with the result.

Gunslinger
05-25-2011, 12:22 PM
I have 2 RCBS 158gr SWC molds. One of them has had the GC part taken off. The boolit without the gascheck part weighs 142gr and shoots very accurately. BUT, at least have a machinest do the job for you.

L1A1Rocker
06-03-2011, 12:44 AM
Well, the doc gave me a clean bill of health and told me to start easing into my normal routine. Here are the fruits of the beautiful mold.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j154/L1A1Rocker/HPIM0598.jpg

Ben
06-06-2011, 07:32 AM
All is well that ends well.

Those look GREAT !

mroliver77
06-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Wow, that is a wide base! How much do they weigh? Looks like they will mash most any light skinned critter on the planet!
Jay

L1A1Rocker
06-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Wow, that is a wide base! How much do they weigh? Looks like they will mash most any light skinned critter on the planet!
Jay

They are averaging at 305 grn using a 50/50 WW/roofing lead alloy.

hicard
06-08-2011, 10:44 AM
I am soooo glad you took the valuable advise of all the knowledgeable folks here on castboolits. I didn't get to this thread in time to throw in my 2 cents but you definitely did the right thing. Now I should take the same advise and consider this option for my beautiful Miha mold.