PDA

View Full Version : Loose screws on H & G

Shooter6br
04-29-2011, 12:51 AM
The top screw on the spruce plate is loose as is the set screw > Need a cheap non modifing fix to put some tightness back into them.i have to constandly re tighten the screws :violin:

MikeS
04-29-2011, 01:35 AM
Well, the easiest way to fix that problem is to send the mould, and it's handles to me! :kidding:

Ok, I guess you don't want to do that, so the next best thing would be to use some locktite on the setscrew. I assume that if the setscrew stays tight, then it will keep the sprue plate screw tight as well, or are you talking about a different setscrew? Make sure that you use the BLUE locktite, as the red is more permanent, and I don't think you want that. I would think that should fix the problem. If not, see first fix :)

Longwood
04-29-2011, 01:40 AM
Put a flat spot on the sprue plate bolt where the set screw hits it when the sprue plate is where you like it.
Loctite releases at a little over 200 degrees. It stays sort of gummy and sort of holds but does not hold very well.

Shooter6br
04-29-2011, 04:24 AM
I remenber using washers ( like on Lees) look like a blent washer or they were like a multi cut out like a sun burst/[smilie=6:

sagamore-one
04-29-2011, 06:06 AM
I have seen several "remedies" for this problem.
One was to stack a second set screw on top of the first one, using it as a jam nut.
One was to install a bolt in the hole with a jam nut on the bolt jammed up against the block.
One was drilling a second hole in the block and installing a second set screw on the pivot bolt.
One was to install a metric set screw in the original hole ( slightly bigger diameter).
Or could be as simple as installing a fresh , un- worn set screw. (25cents)

Just some "remedies" I've seen on H&G moulds.

Texasflyboy
04-29-2011, 10:28 PM
Put a flat spot on the sprue plate bolt where the set screw hits it when the sprue plate is where you like it.

^^^^^This.......