PDA

View Full Version : Slingshot mould

Jamesconn
04-28-2011, 11:22 PM
I am going to purchase a slingshot and I was thinking if I find a mould for ammo about 1/4 in or 3/8 in ball I could use the zinc wheel weights to make the ammo but I don't know where to get moulds in that size is there a musket ball mould that would make a good slingshot projectile?

BCall
04-28-2011, 11:27 PM
I think I'd use the Lee buckshot mold. At .330, it's bigger than 1/4 and smaller than 3/8, but you get 18 with every pour.

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/00-Buckshot-Mold.html

Johnch
04-28-2011, 11:40 PM
Do It already makes 2 molds that would probely work for you

http://do-itmolds.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=1_11_88

John

stubshaft
04-29-2011, 01:04 AM
+1 - On the Lee buckshot mold. If you give up shooting your slingshot you can always sell it here.

Jamesconn
04-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Do It already makes 2 molds that would probely work for you

http://do-itmolds.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=1_11_88

John

Just what I wanted 1/4 and 3/8 and it's cheaper than the buckshot mould

nanuk
04-29-2011, 03:17 PM
I'd go heavier.

I had a slingshot (gonna get another one) up in the subarctic and a .50cal RB will penetrate 3/4in plywood. I would have gone to .54 to try if I could have.

I would have not problem knocking the stuffing out of small game with that.
and I found the heavier balls were easier to shoot accurately

W.R.Buchanan
05-01-2011, 04:22 PM
I know something useful about this subject.

The 2 best projectiles for slingshot usage are,,,

Glass marbles,

and 240 gr Lee .44cal SWC's. No gas check needed. :mrgreen:

The glass marbles fly strait since they are round, and hit hard enough to knock down things up to squirrel or pigeon sized critters if you hit them in the head. They also work OK on dog sized critters when you catch them invading your space or crapping in your yard.

The lead slugs fly sideways like a brick, and if your slingshot is around 35LB pull, (3/8 surgical tube) these slugs hit so hard that they will knock down much bigger prey. If you hit someone in the forehead inside 20 ft chances are they are going down.

I once had the oppurtunity to test this theory,,, :mrgreen:

I lived on a busy street and I parked my car directly in front of my front door. It was about 20 ft from the door to the car.

I had come home early from a night out at the bars and had gone to bed only to wake up about 1:30 AM to go into my kitchen to get a glass of water.

I noticed that the door of my car was open and someone was rifling thru the glove box.:evil:

I grabbed my sling shot and chucked up a slug and eased the door open. Mind you I'm buck naked.

I let this guy have it directly in the ass, and he raised up so fast he busted his head on the roof of my car.

I immediately chucked up another one and yelled "you want some more?" He turned around quickly while furiously rubbing his ass with both hands and started walking towards me, where upon I drilled him directly in the forehead at about 6 feet. He dropped like a sack of potatoes and remained unconcious laying on the sidewalk until the police arrived 5 minutes later.

The police got a big kick out this altercation, and hauled the guy (a transient) away. When I told them what I shot him with they just smiled! :twisted:

These slugs have enough force behind them to break a beer bottle at 30 yards.

Believe me this is all you need for slingshot Ammo. If you practice with the marbles which you can retrieve if you shoot them into a soft backstop like a dirt berm or peice of carpet when it comes time to use the slugs you be well enough armed that you can do damage. I grew up with sling shots and killed way more stuff with them than I ever did with a BB Gun!

35lb surgical tubing will generate about 200 FPS with a slug! Recovered .45ACP FMJ slugs work fine too. I have a coffee can of them sitting next to my back door.

Point is, big lead bullet hits much harder than small 30 cal buckshot and the speed is not any significant amount lower. This is a place where size definately matters. And even though the slugs don't fly "perfectly strait" they fly good enough to hit what you are aiming at inside of 25 feet which is about all the more you can get out of a slingshot anyway. :castmine:

Randy

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-01-2011, 07:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwYej4hngEw&feature=fvst

Bigger is better!

[smilie=s:

W.R.Buchanan
05-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Shawn: I really liked the Freddie Krueger model in the video. 45 Joules is about 4 times more powerful than the largest air rifle allowed in England,or Europe (12 joules) which is similar in power to most hot rod .177 cal. air guns we see over here. His 19 mm lead balls would be a serious thump if they hit you (35 grams is 540gr.)

You don't get into serious airgun power until you get into the 35 cal.+ PCPs. None of which you'll notice are made in Europe. They all come from Korea or China, or the really good ones are made here in the good ole US of A.

Up close, a heavy slingshot like a Wrist Rocket with heavy tubing and a decent sized projectile is capible of doing some significant damage.

On another note: I have a 126 Diesel Benz I drive nearly everyday. Great engine that OM 617.

On another note: They got Bin Ladin yesterday, and they've got his body to prove it.[smilie=w: Now we'll see who our real friends in the middle east are, cuz the ones that aren't rejoicing,,,,Aren't!

Randy

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Randy,

Yes, he sounds like a interesting guy, and very imaginative . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FCxwC-97YQ&feature=related

The worlds most powerful sling shot (Joules of energy!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm5YOYrRejY&feature=related

I actually have the OM616 . . . wish it had a turbo . . .

W.R.Buchanan
05-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Shawn: I wish it did too. it would be the perfect light Jeep engine for CJ3B's and such if it only had 90 hp and the turbo would give it some altitude capability. My 617 motor would work on CJ7's and beyond cuz of the longer engine compartment. Seen several done.

If you look at his rubbers on his mega slingshot you'll note they are long Iso triangles. I think this was a novel solution to a progressive draw which would also increase velocity. The actual power release curve would be upward sprialing instead of a strait line.

Randy