PDA

View Full Version : problem 3rd time w/TLC460-425-RF

corvette8n
12-16-2006, 02:23 PM
This is the 3rd time I used this mold.
I cast about a hundred today but was having problems with the mold closing all the way, had a few where it was running out the bottom faster than it was going in. I learned to squeeze the bottom of mold together with a gloved hand then hold it up to the light to make sure it was closed, did that routine until the lead was gone. Something is sticky, not sure what. BTW this was my first use of bull plate lube and it was great on the sprue plate, a drop on a q-tip was all I needed. I also have a semi newbie question, bottom pour Lee how much lead to leave in bottom of pot? got about 1/2" in there now. Ran pot at 700 degrees, that seemed to work ok.

PatMarlin
12-16-2006, 05:32 PM
Are you running a 2 banger or 6 banger?

I've noticed some of my Lee 6holer mold handles needed to be filed down to fit the blocs, cause I had three that were to fat, and would cause the mold to hang open if not sqeezed just right.

A flat file took care of that.

corvette8n
12-16-2006, 05:46 PM
double cavity, didn't have this problem the first two times I used it.

PatMarlin
12-16-2006, 06:01 PM
I'd start inspecting it with he proper lighting. Somthin's hanging up or one of the anlignment pins come loose.

One of the LEE mold experts here on he board will be more help than me.. :mrgreen:

35remington
12-16-2006, 06:13 PM
Did you also lube the locating pins and "V's"? If you did not, aluminum blocks get sticky and will gall and misalign rather than close correctly. When the block does not want to close it is usually lacking lubrication in these areas.

Nrut
12-16-2006, 06:20 PM
8n.. I have the same or near the same problem with my RD 350 TLC two banger mold...:confused: .......I just set the mold on a flat surface as I close the mold....with mine the problem is the blocks tilt on the mold handles where they attach to the mold handles....to fix it I would have to press out the pins and bush the blocks or handles and re-set the pins...I have quite a few Lee two and one cav. molds and this is the first one that I have had this kind of problem.....I bet if I measure the slot in the blocks where the handles attach to the mold I will find that they are wider than normal.......:roll:

mooman76
12-16-2006, 07:37 PM
Corvette8n
I have had this problem a few times. Some moulds just don't close as good as others. Lube usually does the trick but sometimes I give the mould a small rap with a wooden handel or a small plastic headed mallet and that usuallt does the trick. I have one handy anyway to rap the mould when I get a sticky bullet out!

Ranch Dog
12-17-2006, 12:18 PM
If you are properly lubing the locating pins and the "V", then I would say that the mold is defective and should be returned to Lee. I'm traveling but will get you the order reference number when I return home Tuesday.

The only other thing I can think of checking, that hasn't been mentioned here, is the pins that hold the block to the handles (2-cavity mold). Make sure one of them hasn't slipped out or is slipping out of position.. I have had this happen, mainly from raping on the mold handles to loosen a stuck boolit. It is easy to cure. Re-sink the pin into the handle with a punch and then swege the edge of the hole with the same punch to secure the pin in place. Keep me posted.

PatMarlin
12-17-2006, 02:02 PM
:Fire:........ Personalized customer service from THE DOG!!!!......:Fire:

corvette8n
12-18-2006, 01:18 PM
After the mold cooled I noticed the bottom pin was a dark color and not shiney like the top pin, I'm not sure what got on it but I cleaned it up the some steel wool cloth(basically a slice of steel wool glued to a paper backer), it came off and closes cold without sticking, I will re-lube and try casting some after the holidays.
thanks for all the responses.

Ranch Dog
12-18-2006, 01:43 PM
I'm glad you found this and please keep us posted.