PDA

View Full Version : Krag cast boolit sniper.

madsenshooter
04-28-2011, 07:23 PM
I had sorta wondered just how big a scope a person could put on a Krag rifle. One of the rifles I bought had previously been drilled and tapped for a Weaver side mount, so I decided to find out. I wanted something to shoot in Cast Bullet Association benchrest matches, either in the production rifle class, or the modified military rifle class. I've got it now! That monster scope, of not very good quality, has a 50mm objective lens. I leave the handguard off, but that's permissible. A 40mm objective lens would allow me to keep the handguard on. I think it'll work pretty good. If I take a really solid cheek weld, with my checkbone slightly over the the comb of the stock, I can use my left eye with the scope. Camera battery died, I'll add some pics from different angles later.

Bret4207
04-29-2011, 07:18 AM
All I can think of is those pics of young, voluptuous Anna-Nicole sitting on top of that old geezer she hooked. It just doens't look right!:mrgreen:

Uncle Grinch
04-29-2011, 08:10 AM
All I can think of is those pics of young, voluptuous Anna-Nicole sitting on top of that old geezer she hooked. It just doens't look right!:mrgreen:
Well said Bret!

madsenshooter
04-29-2011, 02:43 PM
But I'll bet he enjoyed it, just as I will this rig. I didn't drill and tap her, just removed the plug screws and mounted her.

BerdanIII
04-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Don't you mean "mounted it."?

Mk42gunner
04-29-2011, 04:47 PM
I saw this post last night and thought: "That ain't right." But, as long as it makes you happy, who cares.

It kind of makes me think of somebody mounting a laser sight on a '51 Navy....

Robert

madsenshooter
04-30-2011, 03:09 AM
I sorta like oddities, one fellow I know has an M14 flash suppressor on his cut down Krag. Quick way to get a front sight on it I guess. I am going to one with a smaller bell on each end though. With the pictured one, I can't remove the bolt or get the power setting on the scope lower than 13x without taking it off. Something is messed up in it anyway, to get focused at 100yds I have to set it on 20yds.

303Guy
04-30-2011, 07:17 AM
That is probably OK for cast boolits. I'm thinking of the stresses those sidemount screws are subject to with such a long and heavy overhanging scope. That fact alone could destroy any hope of accuracy. From what I've seen, cheap scopes gain nothing by having large objective lenses (other than weight). Large eyepieces give a wider field of view so that a good idea. Adjustable parallex on a cheap scope .... ? Mmm.... ? Might give poorer accuracy. OK, so I've got a cheap scope like that and it has cost me quite a few head of game and a total loss of my reputation as a good shot not to mention my loss of confidence! I've also had a sidemount scope ......:sad:

Bret4207
04-30-2011, 07:45 AM
Hey, for target work you do what ya gotta do. At one time I had a K6 weaver more or less attached to a Colt Army Special. Yes, there were hose clamps and duct tape involved and JB Weld and steel strapping too! It looked stupid, but I determined that the gun can shoot.

missionary5155
04-30-2011, 07:59 AM
Good morning
Can you imagine what a New York Regiment Infantryman could have done with that rig in Cuba..
Mike in Peru

madsenshooter
04-30-2011, 05:38 PM
They pulled off some amazing shots with the iron sights Mike. I like this rig a bit better, much less obtrusive, but only a 3x7. One can only use a 6x in the CBAs modified military class, but sometimes I like to shoot with the benchresters, they get to shoot 20 more shots per match, that's about the only reason for the big scope.

Herb in Pa
05-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Just a 1.5 X 5 on the sporter, an old redfield no drill peep sight on the full length.

madsenshooter
05-12-2011, 07:47 PM
This works best. I only have to have a couple holes drilled and tapped between the existing rear sight holes on a couple of my Krags. Then I'll be able to swap these two scopes from one Krag to another pretty easily. One's a Taiwan made Tasco 6x24, and the other a Lyman Alaskan boosted to 6x. I like it, I can mount it lower. And, I can easily go back to iron sights for those matches where I need to. These pictures are of my first Krag, a 92/96 that someone thinned, slimmed and cut back to 24". The mount was known as the Miller, Kodiak Dreamount. They were out of Poughkeepsie. I've got some 26mm rings too, I'll have to keep my eye out for a Kollmorgen 6x.

Mark Daiute
05-16-2011, 09:07 PM
When you get done with this one here my boy will want to use it next hunting season!

He's into scopes for hunting.

Ben
05-16-2011, 10:24 PM
madsenshooter:

That's a very unique scope mount. Doesn't it place the scope very high , such that with your face on the stock, it is hard to see through the scope ?

madsenshooter
05-16-2011, 10:53 PM
The 24X is a bit high Ben, but the Alaskan fits pretty good. There are some spacers under the rings on the 24X that raise it about 1/4" higher than the Alaskan. Either one is still usable, I wind up with a chin weld to the stock rather than cheek. Mark, that boosted Alaskan would bring more than I paid for the rifle, well roughly the same.