PDA

View Full Version : Case OAL M1A

ilcop22
04-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Good evening,

I'm having one of those brain-dead days (go figure). I got a demo gun Springfield M1A (MA9222) today, and after reading all the big read print about the extreme dangers of handloads and how using them will kill your first born child, started thinking about some loads for it. The rifle came with a little card (more warnings) explaining the headspace. My rifle is HS'd at 1.632".

My question is this: Given the headspacing, I'm going to want to trim cases to about 1.630", correct? I'm not usually too particular, but since the gun is worth more than me and I plan on shooting competition with it, I wanna get the trim length right. Thanks.

BruceB
04-28-2011, 06:43 PM
I just use a Wilson cartridge gauge. If the case length exceeds the gauge length, I trim that batch of brass. Sizing-die setting is also determined by checking sized brass in the gauge. Use of the gauge on EVERY LOADED ROUND will also detect out-of-spec rounds BEFORE they get into the rifle.

Proper use of an RCBS X-die will greatly reduce the need for trimming. Do a search for "x die", and if you're fortunate a LONG and detailed treatise by Larry Gibson on use of the X-die in loading for the M1A/M14 should come up. (Edit: Do the search as described, but Larry's X-die testing is contained in my thread titled "M1A arrived today". I hope you can find it, because it's pure gold for M1A owners.)

Don't worry about the stated headspace length. That figure is essentially meaningless to the handloader, as far as my experience with the rifle goes. Headspace length is NOT case length, which in the .308/7.62 NATO is something like 2.015".

My M1A is also a 9222, and I think it's one of the finest rifles I've ever owned (out of hundreds of candidates).

ilcop22
04-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Great information, thanks BruceB. I came across your thread earlier today. Lots of good information in there. I'll pick up a Wilson gauge while I'm at it.

Larry Gibson
04-29-2011, 01:36 PM
ilcop22

If you can't find my teatise (thanks for the compliment Bruce) I can post again here.

Larry Gibson

ilcop22
04-29-2011, 11:54 PM
I did find it, thank you, Larry.