PDA

View Full Version : P14 " Enfield"

RU shooter
04-28-2011, 04:22 PM
I have a chance to get a nice P14 thats in a sporter stock but the metal is all original from a fellow I know on another forum. Dont really need/ want another 303 but the price is extremely good. I was thinking this as a base for a future rifle in 35 cal or something other than 303. Would it be worth getting? Or are there or would there be issues with feeding or anything else ? Would something based on the 444 marlin or 45/70 case be doable? Trying to find out whats been done before or possible and how it worked out.

Thanks,Tim

Maven
04-28-2011, 06:41 PM
Tim, There was a local machinist who used to sell Mk. IV Enfields that he converted to .45-70, so I suppose it can be done with the P-14 as well. Just sayin'....

NuJudge
04-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Since Bubba has not messed up the metal, can I suggest you sell it to someone looking for a P14, and go buy something you want.

P14 wood is around, and I believe I've seen new production M1917 wood, which is very similar. I'd be interested in it if the barrel is nice and everything but the barrel bands are there. What do you want for it?

Mk42gunner
04-28-2011, 08:50 PM
One of the postives on converting a P-14 Enfield to another caliber is supposed to be the fact that you don't have to do any bolt face work for a belted magnum, I would imagine that would be more than compensated for by the time you adjust feed rails and the magazine box itself.

Enfields (P-14 and M1917) are such a large action, to my mind if you aren't going to leave them in the original caliber, you need to go with a big case. You mentioned .35 caliber, I have often thought a .358 Norma would be fun to have, although given the fact that loaded cartridges are pretty much a thing of the past, maybe a .358-.338 or a .358STA would make more sense.

Just my opinion,

Robert

3006guns
04-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Yes, by all means convert it to another caliber............then sell me the old, decrepit military barrel! I have a P-14 drill rifle with a BIG hole through it.