PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Ultrasonic

Frank
04-28-2011, 03:21 PM
This is for someone who has the Hornady ultrasonic cleaner. What does the Hornady ultrasonic use for a basket?

Southern Son
04-29-2011, 06:33 AM
A plastic basket in the little one I got. They are apparently bringing out a second one (larger capacity) and it apparently has a stainless basket.

Frank
04-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Does it lay on the bottom?

KYCaster
04-29-2011, 09:31 PM
The plastic basket hangs from the top rim and doesn't touch the bottom or sides.

Also, there isn't any kind of handle on the basket.

Jerry

Arnie
04-29-2011, 11:14 PM
My commercial Ultrasonic says nothing except liquid cleaner should be touching the bottom or it will hurt the thing that emits the ultra sonic wave .I think a rubber mat will be ok as thats what Harbor Frieght model uses .Arnie

Frank
04-29-2011, 11:51 PM
KYCaster:
The plastic basket hangs from the top rim and doesn't touch the bottom or sides.

Also, there isn't any kind of handle on the basket.

Jerry

Thanks. It looks like a great design.

Arnie:
My commercial Ultrasonic says nothing except liquid cleaner should be touching the bottom or it will hurt the thing that emits the ultra sonic wave .I think a rubber mat will be ok as thats what Harbor Frieght model uses .Arnie
My harbor freight unit is different from the Hornady. It has a plastic basket that sits on the bottom. It's the one that's on sale now for $69.99. But like you say, nothing's supposed to be on the bottom. So I used strings to elevate the basket an inch off the bottom. If it breaks then I would get the Hornady but so far it's doing good. I don't know what h.f. was thinking by putting the basket on the bottom.

Southern Son
04-30-2011, 04:37 AM
Frank, the only problem with the Hornady Basket is with no handles, it can be tricky getting it out without sloshing the liquid over the edge of the machine. Other than that, it does a better job of cleaning the brass that my vibratory tumbler. It has done wonders for my 45/70s that have only ever fired black powder. If I had got the larger one, I might use it to do my .38spl.s, but I have hundreds of them to do.

Frank
04-30-2011, 10:28 AM
I agree.

ph4570
04-30-2011, 11:32 AM
I purchased one on evilBay that is identical to the Hornaday save for color. The basket is tricky to get out -- poor design. It does not touch the bottom. I keep meaning to rig a fix to the difficult basket removal but have not gotten around to it. The machine does a good job otherwise.

Frank
04-30-2011, 02:16 PM
I use the 50/50 vinegar water, plus BC case cleaner. Primer pockets and inside all new. Tumblers are gone! [smilie=1:

Doc Highwall
04-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Frank, what is the ratio 50/50 vinegar/water to the amount of BC cleaner?
Also what does anybody else use and has anyone used the citric acid or Lemi Shine in theirs?

Frank
04-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Doc,

480 sec's, 50/50 water vinegar. If a few cases need to go longer, do another 480 secs. Drain. Wipe out bowl.

380 sec's, BC cleaner. BC says 2 oz of cleaner/ 8 oz's of water. Drain cleaner in a sealed container for re-use. Wipe out bowl.

380 Sec's, hot water. Drain and wipe.

380 sec's, distilled water. Drain and wipe.

Now you've got these magnificently clean cases, inside and out. I put them on a towel and run a fan, but they self dry real quick.

If you're shooting rifle, since the necks are now squeaky clean, you can lube the necks with moly to restore a little slippery feel. Or maybe squeaky clean is good for boolit retention since it already has the lube in the grooves.

Southern Son
05-01-2011, 07:25 AM
I am still using the Hornady solution I bought when I got the ultrasonic. Usually I will just run 480 second cycles whenever I walk past the thing while I am doing other things around the house. When I think they look OK, I rinse the cases. I have to be careful where I live. Most of the taps in my house run rain water, but a couple run bore water. The bore water leaves a white residue on the cases. If I use the rain water, they look great.

Cranium
05-10-2011, 11:25 PM
I have the larger Magnum and am using the solution that came with it. For getting brass looking like new again, it does a terrific job when combined with a tumbler for a few minutes afterwards for polishing. But this is only if you deprime first. Otherwise the inside of the cases don't get quite as clean and the primer pockets aren't touched. This is brass picked up from the dirt at my shooting club.

http://imageshack.us/m/135/2787/cleanbrasssm.jpg
http://imageshack.us/m/696/4161/cleanbrass2sm.jpg

Colorado4wheel
05-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Wow....

Bradley
05-20-2011, 11:22 AM
This is for someone who has the Hornady ultrasonic cleaner. What does the Hornady ultrasonic use for a basket?

My question is how well do these things actually work?

Doby45
05-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Can you not see the photos two posts up from yours?

No_1
05-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Please define "BC case cleaner".

Thanks,

Robert

I use the 50/50 vinegar water, plus BC case cleaner. Primer pockets and inside all new. Tumblers are gone! [smilie=1:

Doc Highwall
05-20-2011, 12:02 PM
I believe the BC stands for Birchwood Casey.