PDA

View Full Version : OT Herters Jig molds

quack1
12-16-2006, 10:57 AM
This is kind of off topic, but does involve casting lead. I was given 3 Herters jig molds and would like to know what weights they cast. My pot is currently full of lino and I dont want to waste any of my small supply on jigs. I remember a thread awhile back where a couple of you had some old Herters catalogs, but don't remember who, or what the thread was about (memory seems to get worse each year) I'm guessing the ball head molds are 3/8 and 1/2 oz., but it's hard to tell as they have protruding eyes and a pretty big collar. The mold numbers are: 4G2, 4G3 and 4F2. If anyone has an old Herters catalog and could look these up I would appreciate it. Thanks

carpetman
12-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Quack1-4F2 is 1/4 oz, 4G2 is 1/4 oz and 4G3 is 1/2 oz. Now that was their intended size. Most likely by the time you get fill out on the product name ie Herters Supreme,Hudson Bay Model Perfect,Deluxe Presentatation Grade, Custom Professional,Special Select Grade Jig,the jigs will weigh 10 pounds.

357maximum
12-16-2006, 11:38 AM
If you end up needing jig hooks, Pm me before you buy... I may have something you can use....I have about 12K of em in different sizes....they are n.o.s and they are just taking up space here...

Michael

Bent Ramrod
12-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Carpetman is right on, as usual. I can only add to his description that the jigs, like all Herter's products, have been used by everyone, from the crowned heads of Europe to the humblest punka-walla in the Sudan, with total, complete, utter and absolute satisfaction.

The world is definitely a poorer place without George Leonard Herter. He'd have put that in the catalog, too, if it hadn't been so obvious back then.

carpetman
12-16-2006, 11:59 AM
I think Herters had good and bad. The 1968 Gun Control Law was probably their demise as was with a lot of good companies. Besides the adjectives in their catalog,I loved the contradictions. Often on the same page. One page might have an ad saying don't buy tip off scope mounts,they are unstable and really offer no advantage yada yada yada get these Model Perfect solid mounts-------and be set. Same page don't believe what you hear about tip off mounts,these Herters Presentations-----are every bit as stable as any solid mount don't be stuck without the advantages of a tip off mount.

quack1
12-17-2006, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the weights Carpetman. I hope a bunch of walleyes and stripers will be so impressed by the "World Famous Herters Jigs" that they wont be able to keep from eating them this spring. I remember their catalogs well, when I started duck hunting in the 60's Herters was the only place I knew of that had decoys, boat paint, etc. As a matter of fact I am still using a few Herters decoys I bought around 66 or 67.
357max: Thanks for the offer, but I have hooks.

C1PNR
12-20-2006, 10:41 PM
4G2 is 1/4 oz Most likely by the time you get fill out on the product name ie Herters Supreme, Hudson Bay Model Perfect, Deluxe Presentation Grade, Custom Professional, Special Select Grade Jig, the jigs will weigh 10 pounds.
Thanks C Man for that information. I've got one of the 4G2 moulds that I haven't cast for yet so had no idea. The thing doesn't weigh much empty, but after adding their typical descriptive verbiage, I think your 10 pound estimate is within range. That should get me down to the BIG ones, eh?[smilie=1:

357maximum,
I also have a couple of the Do-It moulds that take Eagle Claw # 570 or 575 hooks in 1/0 or 2/0. If you have any of those, I'd be interested.:castmine: