PDA

View Full Version : dillon powder measure on lee classic turrett

gofasttodd
04-28-2011, 12:52 AM
has anyone ever used a dillon powder measure on a lee turret press are they case activated The lee auto disc just is not working for me always seems to run a bit hot after a while

Bad Water Bill
04-28-2011, 03:37 AM
Don't even think about it. The Dillon fits into a Dillon sleeve and the powder is dropped thru a caliber specific neck flaring tube. When you size the next case a piece of linkage activates a slide bar to pass under the powder tube filling the adjustable cavity.

Just pick up a good OLD Lyman measure and it will be dependable and accurate for the next 40+ years just like mine.:bigsmyl2:

mroliver77
04-28-2011, 04:58 AM
The Dillon IS case activated. The linkage (on the newer ones) is a safety return. In fact Dillon had/has to pay Lee for use of their design. You would need to use a Dillon powder die. Not all the funnels are made to flare, some(like the rifle funnel or universal pistol) have a flare that seals against the case mouth.

I have an older Dillon powder measure that does not have the return linkage, only return springs.

After tweaking my Lee Auto Disks to stop ball powder from leaking, I really like them and they work great. I refill reservoir regularly and they drop very consistent loads. Like any measure, consistency in ones loading cadence is necessary to obtain uniform results.

FWest
04-28-2011, 06:48 AM
I set up a RCBS Uniflow on my Lee turret. Used the Hornady case activated linkage. Works fine just don't want to crank to fast due to its weight.

brimic2
04-28-2011, 09:48 AM
The LPPM will screw into charging dies as well. Just haven't found a good way to make it work automatically yet.

gofasttodd
04-28-2011, 12:29 PM
i was looking into the hornady setup but your looking at 200$ just for the linkage and the measure. I was using herco powder and that was all over the place on drop weights so now i am using winchester auto comp which seems better. If i was ever to get the dillon measure to work is there any powders that dont work well in them?

Alvarez Kelly
04-28-2011, 05:46 PM
The Dillon powder measures do not like the long extruded powders some folks like to use for rifle cartridges. Ball or flake powders work great in them though.

BruceB
04-28-2011, 07:29 PM
In some M1A/7.62 NATO experiments, I did find that H4831 SHORT CUT ran well in my Dillon 550. I was rather concerned about it before starting the run, but after checking every single round for proper charging over quite a span, I decided that it was a reliable combination.

For most extruded powders, AK is correct, and I wouldn't use them in the Dillon.

In this single case, it works. Possibly the other "Short Cut" powders will be equally acceptable, but I haven't tried them as yet.

gofasttodd
04-29-2011, 02:43 AM
I set up a RCBS Uniflow on my Lee turret. Used the Hornady case activated linkage. Works fine just don't want to crank to fast due to its weight.

do you have to use a smaller drum when loading pistol? do you like this setup

FWest
04-29-2011, 06:36 AM
Picked up the Uniflow used, came with the small micrometer adjustment screw. I do like the setup but changing calibers takes a bit more time than the Lee.

cajun shooter
04-29-2011, 10:11 AM
GFT, I use several press set ups with the Dillon 550B being my main one with a Lee Classic Steel Turret as a stand by for smaller jobs. By that I mean if I'm only loading from 50-200 rounds. They are solid and fast. I use several different measures but not the Dillon. A easy way to mount and use a RCBS, Lyman 55, Redding and so on is very simple but it will be manual and not auto. Dillon sells the 450 powder die which you will need. You will also need the powder adapter they make to do this swap. You also may use the Dillon expander inside the 450 die as all the 550 ones will work. I use my RCBS and Lyman Black Powder measures on my Lee with this set up. You might have to swap your handle on the measure from a down to up position so that the primer set up will clear; it's a easy thing to do. I don't find that dumping with either measure is that much of a slow down. Once you start it becomes second nature to move the powder handle and it's easy to view inside the case before seating a bullet.

jmorris
04-30-2011, 09:41 AM
If you use the 1050 powder funnel you have one flare that will work for all. They have the expander on a seperate station.

firebrick43
04-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Dillon will work just fine as long as you have one of their powder die bodies( will work for all calibers). And 1 of their caliber specific powder thru funnels that mounts in the die body. You will need the older style springs to reset the measure if you have the new style reset cam linkage without springs.

Colorado4wheel
05-08-2011, 10:18 PM
Anything other then the Lee may be a little to heavy for the Lee Hex setup.

What do you mean it runs "hot" after a while.