PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needing help

zeke08
04-28-2011, 12:24 AM
I am new to casting I am wanting to get started I have purchased Lyman's casting handbook #3 shipped today. I am looking for info on what do I need to buy to get started. All I have is a couple 5 gal buckets of wheel weights that I got some 15-18 yrs ago as a mechanic and hoping to start casting. What kind of melter, equipment tools molds etc do I need? I want to make bullets in 9mm, .40, 38/357, 45acp, 10mm, and maybe some rifle rounds. What other books or DVD's can you recommend to help some one get started. Thanks in advance!

stubshaft
04-28-2011, 12:43 AM
There is an amazing amount of knowledge on this site. I would recommend you go to the bottom of the page and read the articles in the Castpic andCast bullet Notes by the Lasc. There are also "stickies" for each section of this site go through and read those that pertain to your interests. Above all if you have any questions ASK. The amount of information available will make the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook look like a pamphlet.

shotman
04-28-2011, 12:53 AM
stubs right
as for starting a turkey cooker burner and old cast pot to do the first melt and clean up the lead . a couple lee ingot molds
If you are just starting would go with the cheap 2 cav lees till you get the "feel" for it if you mess one up your not out much
the lee 20lb is good deal and I have used one for 25 years
oh and last KROIL rick
one thing too the lee tumble lube works so get the TL mold to start . heat the lube and it goes a LONG way

04-28-2011, 12:53 AM
The Lyman handbook you ordered will have much information regarding equipment.

Also, check out the Archive, located near the bottom of the page.

A Lyman Reloading Handbook is a must have, because of their cast handgun and reduced rifle loads.

I dare say that 90% of your answers will be found by reading. However, if that doesn't work, ask away.

BulletFactory
04-28-2011, 12:56 AM
Get manuals, information is everything, you're on the right track there. Get a dedicated area to work in, and keep things neat.

Safety glasses
Bullet puller
Lee dies work well, but you might need to get rid of the outer ring in the factory crimp die, and you'll need to have a custom expander made for the powder through expander die. deltaenterprizes on this site can do that for you.
I prefer a beam scale opposed to electric. The RCBS 5-0-5 works perfectly.
A Lyman 55 powder measure. between the measure, and the 5-0-5 you'll stay within a tenth of a grain.
Lee molds work well, don't forget the handles.
A Lee 20 pound pot works well
You can do the priming on the presses or with the hand held tools, I like the RCBS bench priming tool
Get a micrometer, .0001, and calipers .001 That will measure whatever you need.
A case trimmer helps keep things uniform.
A small oil bottle with the needle tip makes oiling the presses easy.
A pair of casing trays makes sorting easier.
A deburring tool for the case mouths.
Start with a single stage press.
I use the Lyman t mag 2 because it has 6 stations, On that I expand/flare, seat, and crimp. I size and de-prime on a Lee classic cast because it catches the primers, and I use a different one to size the bullets.
A Lee hardness tester is very helpful so you dont have to guess your hardness
A cupcake pan makes some nice ingots

How do you plan to lube?

If you pan lube,

A couple silicone baking trays, and a cookie sheet and
A turkey baster

waksupi
04-28-2011, 01:27 AM
Make sure you spend time in the "Classics and Stickies" section of the board. Most questions have been answered in there.

Welcome aboard!

Cherokee
04-28-2011, 09:21 AM
All good advice. Welcome to casting.

Echo
04-28-2011, 10:27 AM
"It's T for Texas - T for Tennessee"... My Great-Great-Grandparents came west from Tennessee in a covered wagon & settled north of Dallas. I was born in Houston, but live in AZ now. In any case -

Welcome to the forum! Plus One for the above, especially about reading the stickies, and the LASC stuff.

mdi
04-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Also check out catalogs from the big vendors; Midway USA, Midsouth, Natchez, Grafs, and I'm sure some one will add several. See what's available (you don't have to buy new, just get an idea what equipment is available to the home caster). Lee equipment is fine and their webpage shows a lot and explains well http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Bullet-Casting/