PDA

View Full Version : Need for dies

frank martinez
04-27-2011, 11:19 PM
I have begun the journey. With the help of a close friend and Loooooong time swage meister, I gave it a go and liked it. I started by making up some 125 gr. .257 HP FB bullets. I will shoot them in my WBY and wanted to see how it handles the little heavier bullet. It shoots 120's into a touching cloverleaf which I was surprised to see as I am not a very precise shooter.
OK, so I picked up two of the Corbin horizontal presses- I think Mitey Mite?
I now need some dies for the following- .257, .277, 308 and pistol in 9, .357, 44 and 45.
You folks with the experience please tell me if I can do this with my little press?
Are there dies available at a reasonable cost?

I will borrow my friends equipment for the larger calibers I shoot and I will be using his Hydro to run wire for cores for awhile but are there core molds available to purchase?
Anyone have jackets or be willing to split a few boxes?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Frank

Red River Rick
04-29-2011, 02:19 AM
The Mity-Mite uses the "M" style dies, which have a 5/8" x 24 thread. And is capable of swaging all of the calibers you mentioned, with no problem, providing you use pure Pb for your cores.

Dies are available from Dave Corbin and Larry Blackmon.

The rifle bullet dies will probably run around $400 - $500 per caliber, that would also depend on what type of style (lead tip or HP) bullet you want as well. The handgun dies would be a bit cheaper since there are a usually only three dies involved, core swage, core seat and ogive forming die.

Jackets can be purchased from Larry Blackmon, Burger and try Speer.

RRR

frank martinez
04-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks very much RRR. I will try to find some used and then go to Corbin or Blackmon.
Frank