PDA

View Full Version : always ask

fredj338
04-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Picked up my truck form the dealr after some warranty service & oil change. I asked the serv manager if they did much tire work. Asked if I could have some ww. I got a box of about 10#, not a big score, but that's 10# I don;t have to take out of the berm. Always ask when ytou are at a car place. FWIW, telling them you are using it for your old antique muzzle loader is quaint & draws little fuss, at least out here.:groner:

white eagle
04-27-2011, 11:52 PM
Nice score fredj
like you say thats ten less pounds you have to berm
anyway I often though of changing my line
when they ask what I use the lead for instead of bullets (get some weird looks)
like make sinkers or plumb bobs or something other that what I really want it for

fredj338
04-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Nice score fredj
like you say thats ten less pounds you have to berm
anyway I often though of changing my line
when they ask what I use the lead for instead of bullets (get some weird looks)
like make sinkers or plumb bobs or something other that what I really want it for

Yep, fishing wts always gets a posetive response. The muzzle loader line works well even for some antigun types. Not an issue in many places, but out here, that can get you snubbed. 10# is 10#, not like my last 200# score just for asking.[smilie=w:

Frank
04-28-2011, 03:33 PM
fredj338:
Yep, fishing wts always gets a posetive response.
But then they say they also like fishing, followed by, "Could you make a few weights for me?" :groner:

white eagle
04-28-2011, 03:55 PM
sure
see ya

Longwood
04-28-2011, 04:07 PM
fredj338:
But then they say they also like fishing, followed by, "Could you make a few weights for me?" :groner:
I had that happen one time and I asked him which type of sinkers he uses and when he told me, I said I did not have that type of molds but if he would get them, I would gladly cast him plenty of free sinkers. I have gone to the same shop several times since and he never did get the molds. He still gives me free wheel weights especially since I buy many of my tires from him.
Don't buy your tires from Wally World and instead go to a small independent and you will usually get lots of free weights for the asking. You may have to make a return trip, but it is worth it. Always ask as you are making the tire purchase. Also don't bother with the mexican owned shops.

bumpo628
04-28-2011, 04:08 PM
fredj338:

That's when you either buy a fishing weight mold or go buy some at Big 5.
Anything to keep the source open...

merlin101
04-28-2011, 08:30 PM
I tell very few that I'm casting boolits, instead i tell them I'm casting wheel weights for my garden tractor! And in a way it's true I have a couple hundred pounds "in storage" on the front wheels. But it's getting tougher every day to get a real score

fredj338
04-29-2011, 03:04 AM
That's when you either buy a fishing weight mold or go buy some at Big 5.
Anything to keep the source open...

Good idea!

frkelly74
04-29-2011, 10:54 AM
On the other hand , I told a fellow I was loading for my 45 and he responded " Really? I just got a 9mm glock , shooting is a lot of fun ain't it ? I got to get my girlfriend a gun soon" I offered to help him load up some but he did not have time. He gave me some weights though.

Longwood
04-29-2011, 08:16 PM
I need two new tires.
I plan on pricing them and while he is working it out, I will ask him if he has any toxic waste, such as wheel weights, he needs to get rid of. If he tells me some sort of nonsense, I will tell him. "OK, I guess will ask around to see if others have some before I make my purchase".

chambers
04-29-2011, 09:57 PM
I have found it works good to tell tire shops to cast sinkers and duck weights. I have also found a few guys that do deep fishing and have dropped off some down rigger weights to the man in charge, it really goes a long way and you have to figure out what the person in charge has for interest. I have created relationships with these people in charge.

Bomber
05-01-2011, 12:27 PM
I like the idea of telling the store I will be using the lead for sinkers or even for muzzle loading.
Reminds me of the time I went into Wally World to buy .223 ammo. This was several years ago. I asked if they had it in case quantity, and could I buy a case. The young lady at the counter looked at me like I just asked for her first born child.

geargnasher
05-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Depending on the situation, I show up in uniform (mechanic) and ask for 10-15 lbs for making lead hammers for me and my co-workers. Sometimes that backfires. Duck decoy weights works too, but I had one guy tell me he wasn't going to support poisoning the water, I'd better find something else to use. I asked for zinc, he wouldn't give me those, either! One guy I told I was making leadhead jigs, he gave me a whole bucket on the condition I'd make him some, so I went to a tackle store and bought some unpainted ones of different sizes and shapes already cast up, and some enamel and painted a bunch of them by hand, different colors, eyes and all. He was a happy camper when I showed up with them, he said he didn't figure he'd see me again. The only problem was it took him ten years to collect a bucket full of weights.

Gear

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-01-2011, 01:18 PM
The WW situation in MN, especially within 100 miles of Minneapolis (where I am) and many scrap yards is that there are none for FREE...I'll be damned if I am going to Lie for the previledge to buy some Liberals Scrap. I tell them I am making boolits...Pistol Boolits...if they are interested in swapin' for a box of 9mm or 357 ammo, all the better.
Jon

Freightman
05-01-2011, 01:30 PM
If I said fishing weights they would know I was not truthful as there aint no water for 600 miles all our lake are drying up.

geargnasher
05-01-2011, 03:06 PM
I figure it's fair enough to fib with most of the jackwagons I try to deal with, they come up with all sorts of creative lies about why the can't/won't sell them to me.

Gear

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Gear,
I hear ya...I'd Lie to a Liberal in a heartbeat if there was any chance to get them free.
If I'm payin' for them and lately it's been near the current scrapper price,
then I'm doing them a favor...or just lettin' the next dude have a chance at them.

There is one guy (and he is a Mechanic at one shop) that has tied up the
4 or 5 auto repair/tire shops in my home town.
he makes Scuba weights...How many darn weights can he make.

Maybe I;m gonna start makin' scuba weights...wink wink nudge nudge.
I can hear it now....
Yeah, I here to pick up the old wheelweights you savin' for "So and So"
Yeah we make scuba weights !!!
Jon

Longwood
05-01-2011, 08:57 PM
I found a bunch of what looks like the old plumbers lead ingots that were still connected and flux free solder at the local recycler yesterday. I took all of the lead that I was fairly sure is pure along with the solder.
He had about 100 lbs of questionable stuff that is a little bit corroded but looks like it was molded for a special purpose. One piece that looked like a big (maybe 25 lbs or more) rectangular and slightly curved ingot with rounded edges and a molded in handle on each end. Almost looks like it may have been a huge hard hat divers weight. Any of you experts know what it may be?
I have enough pure lead and I am looking for advise on whether or not I should go back and pay the 40 cents for it then smelt it for sale here or on ebay. I would be very simple to smelt so I could sell it fairly cheap.
There was also a big slab of very shiny stuff that I suspect may be from someone burning a battery. I think I would leave that.

fredj338
05-02-2011, 02:28 AM
If I said fishing weights they would know I was not truthful as there aint no water for 600 miles all our lake are drying up.
Try lead soldiers or ballast for a light pole, all kinds of things work.