PDA

View Full Version : Problem mold

kbstenberg
04-27-2011, 10:09 PM
I just got a used Lyman 225415 mold that molds good bullets but the GC recess is too short. An I am wondering what I can do about it.
When I size the bullets in my RCBS sizer you can feel it when the GC is seated tite against the band between the GC recess an the Lube gruve. At the point that you feel the GC stop against the band, If you add minimal additional force on the sizer handle you can then feel the GC bottom out against the bullet. There is a measurable difference between the 2 ways to seat the GC of .002
The GC doesn't shear any lead when it is seated against the bottom of the bullet. So I suppose it must ride up over the band.
My questions are these
A. will the bullets with the GC seated to the band shoot reliably?
B. Would it be better to fully seat the GC against the bottom of the bullets?
Kevin

RobS
04-27-2011, 10:43 PM
It sounds like the machinist at Lyman did set the cherry deep enough. My question: Is the mold casting boolits light for the mold as this would provide supporting evidence to a short set cherry?

Never the less I would seat the check all the way to the base of the boolit so it doesn't crater or cup under pressure when the powder is set off. Whether the boolits works well and shoot accurately will all show when you shoot them. Nothing is perfect with what you have there.

Final question: Is this a new mold? If so I would send it back to the place you purchased it from if they have a good return policy. New or not Lyman should take care of this but...............

stubshaft
04-27-2011, 11:55 PM
Depending on the amount of difference between the gas check and the base it may be possible to shim it up with card stock. It would be a PITA but it will eliminate your problem.

shotman
04-28-2011, 01:28 AM
set the check tight to base it dont matter about what it does to last drive band . All checks are not the same, old Lyman were very short and most of the time fell off

madsenshooter
04-28-2011, 03:46 AM
Gator checks, in the calibers I have used, are shorter than Hornady checks. Might be a way around the problem.

kbstenberg
04-28-2011, 07:58 AM
Rob S I purchased the mold as used, an yes the mold drops its bullets shy of the specified weight. I am using Lyman GC.
I think today I just mite call Lyman an see if they will do anything for me. I'm not out anything by asking.
Thanks for all the help AGAIN to everyone Kevin

scrapcan
04-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Kevin,

Is this the mould I sold you, the 225415? I did not cast with it, so do not know how it dropped. The weight is likely a result of the alloy. I rarely get my alloy to match the listed ideal/lyman specifications.

If you want some 22 caliber check of another make let me know. I will be glad to send some off. I may have hornady and gator checks.

I sent you a pm also.

cbrick
04-29-2011, 09:33 AM
Would it be better to fully seat the GC against the bottom of the bullets? Kevin

Yes, absolutely, always! At least if anything resembling accuracy is the goal. The check must be square and flat to the bullet base.

If Lyman doesn't make it good Buckshot or Erik http://www.hollowpointmold.com/ can make it right. Buckshot can be contacted right here at Castboolits.

Rick