PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Hand Priming Tool...

BCB
04-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Is the RCBS hand priming tool that comes with some of the RCBS starter kits that same as the Lee Auto Prime? It appears to have a similar look from the pictures in the catalogues...

Does it work the same and use separate shell holders? And do the primers load into the lid like they do in the Lee?...

A person I know is getting a starter kit and if it doesn’t work the same as Lee, it might take extra stuff to get it to work…

Thanks…BCB

bumpo628
04-27-2011, 06:44 PM
The RCBS uses the same shell holders that are used in the press. The primers load the same.
The Lee primer uses special shell holders.

BCB
04-27-2011, 06:47 PM
The RCBS uses the same shell holders that are used in the press. The primers load the same.
The Lee primer uses special shell holders.

That's what I was wondering about the shell holders...

Does it come with 2 pins, one for small and one for large primers?...

So, it will be ready to use immediately as long as the person purchases a set of dies and the shell holder to go with the dies?...

Thanks...BCB

bumpo628
04-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Yeah, it'll do both sizes of primers out of the box.
You will have to share shell holders with your press unless you buy a spare just for the primer.
Any brand of press shell holder will work.

BCB
04-27-2011, 07:03 PM
bumpo628,

That's all the info I need...

I didn't want to steer the guy wrong who was purchasing the RCBS kit...

(He doesn't realize it, but he has just started to spend money to save money!)...

Thanks again...BCB

W.R.Buchanan
04-27-2011, 07:22 PM
RCBS also has a hand operated tool that has a universal shellholder, and that's the one I have. It was a few bucks more but you don't have to diddle with which shell holderto use. It is a one size fits all device. It comes with large and small punches. I have only used it a few times but the shell holder will do .223 cases or .45-70 cases and anything else interchangably.

I used a Old Style Lee priming tool that does one at a time for years. Nothing wrong with it, just the RCBS tool is much nicer to use with the magazine for primers on it. Also I couldn't find any other shell holders for the old Lee Tool..

Randy

Muddy Creek Sam
04-27-2011, 07:56 PM
I had to get an RCBS Shell holder for mine when I got the Lee Die set. Taper on the bottom of the lee shellholder wouldn't fit on the RCBS.

Sam :D

bumpo628
04-27-2011, 10:03 PM
bumpo628,

That's all the info I need...

I didn't want to steer the guy wrong who was purchasing the RCBS kit...

(He doesn't realize it, but he has just started to spend money to save money!)...

Thanks again...BCB

Ain't it the truth. I don't know one person that has ended up spending less money reloading.

Longwood
04-27-2011, 11:33 PM
Ain't it the truth. I don't know one person that has ended up spending less money reloading.
All I can say to that is "You guys sure don't shoot near as much as I do".

bumpo628
04-28-2011, 01:18 AM
I figured you would get what I meant. You buy more components and equipment. Then make more ammo and shoot more than you would if you had to buy all factory ammo. Bottom line is that you end up spending more money than you would have if you didn't reload.

Longwood
04-28-2011, 02:06 AM
I figured you would get what I meant. You buy more components and equipment. Then make more ammo and shoot more than you would if you had to buy all factory ammo. Bottom line is that you end up spending more money than you would have if you didn't reload.

I know exactly what you meant.
I repeat, you guys must not shoot near as much as I do. Either that or you have way to much loading gear and supplies.
I remember an old man once told me when I was telling about how much I shot my guns.
He said, "I have worn out more guns than you have socks kid".
He is the guy that taught me to reload and I have been trying to catch up to him ever since.
Yeah, it has cost me a bunch but no where close to what I would have spent buying and shooting factory ammo.
When I was shooting competition, I shot as much as 320 rounds every weekend and that did not count my practicing and playing.

Echo
04-28-2011, 01:35 PM
The old model Lee hand primer still shows up on eBay. I have three that I have used for decades - one for .45/06/that bunch, one for .38/357, and a third for anything else. I bought one for my son, complete with several shell holders. Wouldn't be without them.