PDA

View Full Version : Velocity difference

qajaq59
12-16-2006, 08:45 AM
I'm sure this info is somewhere in here but I just haven't found it.

How much faster can you push a CB with a gas check then one that doesn't have one? For instance in a 30-30 lever gun.

imashooter2
12-16-2006, 09:09 AM
How fast can a bicycle go? Depends on who's riding it...

Your question doesn't have a firm answer. There are too many other variables to throw into the equation.

MT Chambers
12-16-2006, 10:49 AM
I find that with 311041 cast hard with gas check sized .310" I can push as fast as the j-word......30 cal cast w/o gas check are better around 1500fps....you may have heard this before from me but....I don't like to use bullets that are cut for a gas check with out a gas check as it seems to try to channel hot gases up along side the bullet. I have found some of the same effect(though not as much) from bevel base bullets.

Scrounger
12-16-2006, 11:04 AM
I'm sure this info is somewhere in here but I just haven't found it.

How much faster can you push a CB with a gas check then one that doesn't have one? For instance in a 30-30 lever gun.

As he said, there is no firm answer but there are some guide lines and opinions. From what I've read here over the years: Plain based bullets are generally shot at velocities of 1400 FPS or less. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone couldn't get away with using water-dropped linotype bullets with a slow powder to reduce chamber pressure and get velocities up to 25% more than that. Same philosophy with gas check bullets, using slow powder to reduce pressure will allow you to go to a higher velocity than you would otherwise be able to get. That is one reason for the popularity of the slow surplus powders like 860 and 870. Also the use of fillers can be used to protect the bullet base and allow a higher velocity than an unprotected base. I have no expertise on that. I think people will be glad to steer you in the right directions here but they are leery of just handing out simple answers to very complex questions. Besides, the fun is in finding your own path through the forest, not just walking in someone else's tracks...