PDA

View Full Version : Hensley & Gibbs #138 Six Cavity Mould - Photo

Texasflyboy
04-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Hensley & Gibbs Six Cavity #138 bullet mould.

Photo snagged from the online auction site.

http://hgmould.gunloads.com/a/H&G138.jpg

Texasflyboy
04-27-2011, 09:05 PM
In answer to the PM's and emails I've received, I will say that it's my personal opinion, based on years of research and viewing many moulds in identical condition, that this mould exhibits damage from cleaning with a wire wheel brush at high speed. The red boxes highlight edge rounding from the wire brushes removing metal in the nose cavity area. You can also see edge rounding in the alignment pin holes. The other giveway is when moulds are rusted, and cleaned with a wire wheel brush, they exhibit "freckling" (small tiny holes created by the rust) on the surfaces, especially the block faces of the interior faces along the vent lines, as this one does.

Again, my opinion, based on the photos.

Bret4207
04-28-2011, 06:35 AM
Ditto. Someone really went to town with the wheel. Too bad, but it still might cast a usable boolit.

captaint
04-28-2011, 11:06 AM
I recently PM'd a guy selling a mold on Fleabay. It had obviously been wire brushed and the edges were broken, as in your pic, Tom. I mentioned in the PM that will destroy a mold. He responded back with "guilty as charged." That was it. I feel for the buy that bought it. Mike

475BH
04-28-2011, 11:17 AM
It looks to me, if a guy got it basically free you could fix it w/ either cramer-style pin or insert-bar conversion pins either hp or maybe a flat point. Ofcourse the alignment pin holes would be easier to fix, reamed oversize and new pins installed. That is if the sides of the cavities look good, on this bad example they look ok.