PDA

View Full Version : My version of angle iron ingot molds.

BigRix
04-27-2011, 12:35 AM
I'm looking to start casting soon but started off with smelting first to get my feet wet. I found this sight to be invaluable and I have already learned a lot. Being a tight wad I didn't want to spend a lot of money so everything I have done so far has been by scrounging. As an auto mechanic I started by melting wheel weights at work to get the hang of it.

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss208/BigRix/ef97e449.jpg

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss208/BigRix/c2bf8645.jpg

If a picture is worth a thousand words then maybe this video is worth more. It should explain how thing went and how I ended up with my version of an ingot mold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVLgujGVAqU

Let me know what you guys think.

Combat Diver
04-27-2011, 01:01 AM
BigRix,

Looks nice and usable. Welcome to the site.

CD

Southern Son
04-27-2011, 04:56 AM
Bigg Rix, Can you tell me what the dimentions of you Ingot mould is, specifically, how long are the ingots? Did you use 1 inch angle iron? And finally, what do your ingots weigh? I want to make one of my own like yours, and I want it to drop either 1 or 2 pound ingots.

And welcome to the madness. Your lucky, working somewhere you can get your own Wheel Weights. Being in the trade may make it easier for you to get other sources, too.

BigRix
04-27-2011, 09:16 AM
The angle iron is 1/4" thick and measures 4" long at the "V" with a slight taper. I did not measure the length of the long sides. I cut the taper by placing a piece of scrap tubing under the stock when I cut them on the chop saw. I had to do some fitting to get them all the same size. If I can trust my wife's kitchen scale the ingots are dropping at 16-18 ounces.

mckutzy
04-27-2011, 10:04 PM
Hey u copied my idea,jkjk looks good, I have an exact copy of that sans handle though that is a good idea, but I added legs so I didnt have to bend over too much to pour, My billets are 6" long and I havent weighed them yet but I suspect they are about 3-5 lbs or so ea.
I like this idea very much for the storage of the bars, they lie flat and they can stack into milk crates easy than round ones.

Southern Son
04-28-2011, 06:46 AM
BigRix, I am guessing the sides are 1 inche on the angle iron? Thanks for that.

canyon-ghost
04-28-2011, 07:57 AM
Well, minus the handle, I've got molds like that. Kano Kroil makes a good release agent, little bit fumes-y, but okay. They work, and you can stack your lead. 2x6 makes about a 3# ingot.

Ron

BigRix
04-28-2011, 06:44 PM
BigRix, I am guessing the sides are 1 inche on the angle iron? Thanks for that.

Sorry its 1 1/2" angle iron. 1/4" think. 4" long. The sides where the handle is 8" long.

16-18 ounce ingots

bearcove
04-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Channel works good also. I make singles, cut the ends so the end plate leans out a little.

RP
04-28-2011, 08:16 PM
I have made a few of those style molds and some with channel iron. Just wondering how the handle works for you?

Mk42gunner
04-28-2011, 08:34 PM
A light coat of rust makes for easy release also.

I made my molds ten or so inches long, as per BruceB they will stack in a fifty cal ammo can. My ingots rarely get stacked in a can though; my driveway isn't level enough to get pretty ingots, and I figure they are just going to get melted agin anyway.

Robert

BigRix
04-29-2011, 12:30 AM
I have made a few of those style molds and some with channel iron. Just wondering how the handle works for you?

As shown in my video the handle works great because it gives the ingots room to fall out of the mold.

plainsman456
04-29-2011, 12:50 AM
Nice job.I need to make up a few like that for later.
And I like the handle.

Longwood
04-29-2011, 01:47 AM
If you use a little wider angle for the ends and side pieces, then set the end pieces, in the line of cavity's, at a bit of an angle the mold will then make large one piece pigs that you can bend and break into small pigs later. Much easier to store.

Southern Son
04-29-2011, 06:11 AM
Sorry its 1 1/2" angle iron. 1/4" think. 4" long. The sides where the handle is 8" long.

16-18 ounce ingots

Thanks for that, BigRix, looks like I will have to get some 1 1/2" angle iron.

6bg6ga
04-29-2011, 07:01 AM
Beats the heck out of purchasing a commercially made ingot mold.

BigRix
04-29-2011, 09:18 AM
If you use a little wider angle for the ends and side pieces, then set the end pieces, in the line of cavity's, at a bit of an angle the mold will then make large one piece pigs that you can bend and break into small pigs later. Much easier to store.

I really like that idea. I imagine you would have to weld the edges together as well to keep the lead from leaking out.

Longwood
04-29-2011, 09:23 AM
I really like that idea. I imagine you would have to weld the edges together as well to keep the lead from leaking out.

Yes, very observant. If it did not leak out, it would at the very least leak into the gaps and lock the ingot into the mold.

geargnasher
04-29-2011, 10:07 PM
If you add about five degrees of draft angle to the ends of the angle, the ingots fall right out without rust or Kroil. Here's how I made mine, I used a U-bolt for a handle because I have quite a few laying around:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16205&d=1254796496

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16640&d=1256530745

These are 1-1/8" light-gauge angle (1" inside), 5-1/8" long at the vee and 5-5/32" at the top, they make 1-lb ingots with 10.5 SG alloy once you get the hang of pouring them level-full. The ends are 1" angle so the bottoms of the vee are flat with the ends.

Gear

btroj
04-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Tis is all so easy for you guys that can weld. I suppose us non-welders just need to keep buying muffin tins. Sigh.

imashooter2
04-29-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks for that, BigRix, looks like I will have to get some 1 1/2" angle iron.

Throw away bed frames are great raw material.

bumpo628
04-30-2011, 01:54 AM
Quote:Originally Posted by BigRix
Yes, very observant. If it did not leak out, it would at the very least leak into the gaps and lock the ingot into the mold.

I would try casting some ingots before you weld the seams. It will probably not stick to the mold.

bumpo628
04-30-2011, 01:55 AM
Tis is all so easy for you guys that can weld. I suppose us non-welders just need to keep buying muffin tins. Sigh.

Or, go and buy a $100 welder and give it a try.

Longwood
04-30-2011, 03:44 AM
I would only do it if I intended to make big ones I could break into individuals later. I sometimes make them like that with the Lyman and Lee mold so they stack and store easier.
Note #14

Southern Son
04-30-2011, 03:48 AM
Or, go and buy a $100 welder and give it a try.

+1. My welder cost about $150.00. My welding training consisted of me asking a bloke "How hard is it to weld?" Welding stuff like this is easy, you only need talent when you doing extreamly thin sheets or up side down or something like that. Welding up these ingot moulds can be done by an idiot, and on that note, I will be welding up mine as soon as I get a 15 amp powerpoint installed. :D

bumpo628
04-30-2011, 05:01 PM
+1. My welder cost about $150.00. My welding training consisted of me asking a bloke "How hard is it to weld?" Welding stuff like this is easy, you only need talent when you doing extreamly thin sheets or up side down or something like that. Welding up these ingot moulds can be done by an idiot, and on that note, I will be welding up mine as soon as I get a 15 amp powerpoint installed. :D

I got one of these. Right now it's only $120, but I got it for $95 on a different sale.
http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-flux-wire-welder-98871.html

All you have to do is buy it and start trying. Oh yeah, and you're going to need a grinder to fix your mistakes.
$17 - http://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half-inch-angle-grinder-95578.html

bearcove
04-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Just turn it up!

Mrbrent
04-30-2011, 11:28 PM
Seems like alot of effort when you can buy a mold for $8.99 right now at MidwayUSA and the most expensive one is $20. I will admit if I had the materials and tools to do it I would probably do the same though lol.

Longwood
05-01-2011, 12:54 AM
Seems like alot of effort when you can buy a mold for $8.99 right now at MidwayUSA and the most expensive one is $20. I will admit if I had the materials and tools to do it I would probably do the same though lol.
Sometimes it is about having a little bit of pride. I think the mold is awsome!
I go by the recycle yard every time I am in town and I always buy up all of the usable steel and aluminum I find there. Each are way cheaper than the steel supply yard because of the horrendous increases in steel and aluminum prices in the last few years. I scored 24 more pounds of pure lead and 6 lbs of solder at one today at 40 cents a pound.
Every time I make something out of scrap and save a few cents/dollars, I feel very good about myself. Sure I could have bought one but in my mind, there is no pride at all in that.
I know that some people feel some sort of need to buy the most expensive items they can find then gloat about it but I look at that as nothing more than showing off. I would much rather show off by making something that works just as well if not better. The people that make their own understand perfectly.
I am thinking of using some of the scrap steel that I have to make a mold like this one but make it where I can cast maybe as many as 20 ingots at once using the bottom pour smelting pot I am working on.
I have made many items that outperform some of that cutsie and expensive stuff. I used to live in Oregon and during the nasty winter months I would buy cheaper rifles and make mighty fine looking guns out of them. I had a few that I made look very, very nice and usually outshot every Weatherby, Model 70 and 700 I ever shot them against.
I made two black powder rifles that were mighty nice looking and would shoot some winning groups all day long. I sold the last one for $1800 and sure do wish I still had it.

BigRix
05-01-2011, 08:28 AM
After making a small batch as seen in my lead pot thread, I can say the only problem with the molds is, I need more of them. Once this thing gets hot I have to wait too long for the ingots to cool before I can drop them out.

Longwood
05-01-2011, 02:25 PM
After making a small batch as seen in my lead pot thread, I can say the only problem with the molds is, I need more of them. Once this thing gets hot I have to wait too long for the ingots to cool before I can drop them out.
Since they are as short as they are, making them with 1/8" should work just fine. An old bed frame is an option which show up for free a lot but they are high carbon steel that does not like being welded and the welds will sometimes suddenly break on you.

Longwood
05-01-2011, 02:35 PM

I suspect you may have a flux cored wire welder.
If you want to greatly improve the ease of application and quality of your welds, upgrade to a gas shield.
Stuff like these molds is a great place for learning.

Southern Son
05-02-2011, 02:23 AM
I suspect you may have a flux cored wire welder.
If you want to greatly improve the ease of application and quality of your welds, upgrade to a gas shield.
Stuff like these molds is a great place for learning.

No wire, just a cheapie stick welder, I think they sometimes call them Arc Welders. And you are right, little jobs like this are great practice. Not only to make the welds strong, but try and make them clean.

geargnasher
05-02-2011, 02:39 AM
Skip the welder, Brad, just invest in an oxy-acetalyne or oxy-propane setup, you can weld up stuff like this all day long with nothing but a torch and a handfull of wire coathangers.

Your biggest expense would be a Harbor Freight chopsaw.

Gear

Longwood
05-02-2011, 11:00 AM
No wire, just a cheapie stick welder, I think they sometimes call them Arc Welders. And you are right, little jobs like this are great practice. Not only to make the welds strong, but try and make them clean.
If you can weld with a stick welder it will be a piece of cake when you switch over to a wire welder, especially if you can get the hang of welding with 7018 low hydrogen rod.

Longwood
05-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Skip the welder, Brad, just invest in an oxy-acetalyne or oxy-propane setup, you can weld up stuff like this all day long with nothing but a torch and a handfull of wire coathangers.

Your biggest expense would be a Harbor Freight chopsaw.

Gear

Who can afford acetylene these days? Not I!

captaint
05-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Over the years, I have gotten 1 RCBS ingot mold, 2 castboolits molds (one 1 pounder and one 2 pounder) and a Lee ingot mold. I actually got the Lee for the half pound ingots for the pewter. I think I'm good... Mike

Von Gruff
05-03-2011, 10:12 PM
I just use an old ss bowl and get a 4 lb ingot from it. I wont tell how I do it so I dont have to deal with the flames, but I have done it this way for many years. They stack well in nail boxes and are just smaller than the dia of my melt pots so get good even use of pre-melt heat.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/005-2.jpg

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/004-6.jpg

Von Gruff.

btroj
05-03-2011, 10:55 PM
It would be far cheaper to just buy them. The welder is cheap, it is the divorce that would eat me alive!
I would like to get into making things like this myself but time and Monet just don't allow for it. Same reason I don't have a lathe.

Brad

mold maker
06-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Ain't it funny how when we can,,, we can't afford it. Then when we have the time and funds,,, we can no longer do it.
Life can be cruel.

nanuk
06-01-2011, 09:41 PM
I needed a welder for a small job.

I had traded a pressure washer for a miller 225amp AC clone.

Paid for itself the first repair I did.

but the best welder I've ever used is a gas driven straight AC GenSet type... Can you say "Smooth"? Anyone can learn to lay a great bead with one of those. No buzzing, no spatter...

nanuk
06-01-2011, 09:42 PM

I would rather try to make something if it is not too complicated.

Hey... I could always order boolits from the BullShop

LAH
06-04-2011, 08:54 AM
You guys who don't weld or want to learn, buy equipment or whatever..........look for our members who make these things to sell here on the board. These guys make good stuff.

D Crockett
06-15-2011, 03:14 PM
I just got done making a 4 cavity ingot mould for a friend in texas if any one wants some of these pm me D Crpckett

snuffy
06-15-2011, 09:53 PM
My buddy owns a job shop, made this from drops from a job. Casts about a 5 pound ingot, that's small enough to fit 2 at a time in my 4-20 lee pot.

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/arrow/websize/P3270145.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/arrow/websize/P3270144.JPG

I ask him to make me one, that was over a year ago, still no show. He let me borrow it when I was smelting range lead.

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/arrow/websize/P4110008.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/arrow/websize/P4110019.JPG