PDA

View Full Version : brass magnet

edsmith
04-27-2011, 12:09 AM
has any one here made a brass magnet? I was wondering how to make a portable one. thanks guys

theperfessor
04-27-2011, 12:13 AM
Not sure I understand the question. Do you want to make an electromagnet out of brass, or a magnet to attract brass? The first is possible, the second isn't as brass is nonmagnetic. Or are you trying to filter steel cases from brass cases? I would think a magnet on a stick like I got from Harbor Freight to pick up nails from the lawn would work well.

edsmith
04-27-2011, 12:27 AM
I am looking for a portable electro magmet to pick up brass, there is such an animal, not sure but it may pick up alu. also. and no, I am not nuts, well mabey a little. :)

MtGun44
04-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Get your physics book out and rewrite the laws a bit would be the first step. . . . . .

Bill

waksupi
04-27-2011, 12:48 AM
Is this a trick question?

stubshaft
04-27-2011, 12:53 AM
:veryconfuIf it could pick up brass and aluminum then it would also be great for lead!

Matt3357
04-27-2011, 12:54 AM
I would say you are extremely nuts. This reminds me of my dad saying, well if you only had a wood magnet, or that he has a"bag of holes" that he'll use to put a hole in something. Nutty as a pet coon if you ask me.

Matt

Bullwolf
04-27-2011, 01:04 AM
Edsmith might have been referring to one of those Brass Wizard or Nut Wizard tools that pick up brass and nuts and bolts by rolling a loose wire cage over them that is, typically mounted on the end of a pole or long stick.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/uimages//Brass_Wizard_Close_Up_m.jpg

I have seen them for sale before by Dillon Precision.

Perhaps the original poster can clarify if this is what he was interested in, or not?

It is also referred to as a Brass Wand.

As far as I know brass is not magnetic, but BRASS MAGNET® has a web page located at www.brassmagnet.com
The contraption they are selling there looks to be a nylon mesh bag, or a net type of a brass catching system. They do have some interesting photos on their website however.

I have seen folks use the Nut Wizard or Brass Wizard before, and it does seem to work decently on small quantities of brass, as long as you are on clean, level terrain. They do not work so good apparently over oak leaves, or tall grass. I bet one would prevent quite a bit of bending over though.

I have never tried to "make" one myself as of yet, but it shouldn't be too difficult for some of the enterprising folks here on Cast Boolits.

- Bullwolf

timbuck
04-27-2011, 01:18 AM
Is this a trick question?

You might be able to sell him some lube grooves.:roll:

Tracy
04-27-2011, 01:19 AM
Most substances are magnetic to some degree. If I remember correctly, some substances are repelled, instead of attracted, by magnets. It just takes a pretty strong field to detect with the stuff most people consider non-magnetic.
As an experiment, drop a rare earth magnet through an aluminum tube that you are holding vertically. I was amazed, the first time I ever saw that. It doesn't stick to the aluminum, but it falls through in slow motion.

edsmith
04-27-2011, 01:28 AM
OK all you mental giants, I dont need no stinking physic book :) go to http://www.scribd.com/doc/8134915/Non-Ferrous-Magnet with all the new minature electronics, I though mabey someone has come up with a small portable. you boys need to get out more. :)

edsmith
04-27-2011, 01:33 AM
finnaly bgot the url right

Longwood
04-27-2011, 02:31 AM
OK all you mental giants, I dont need no stinking physic book :) go to http://www.scribd.com/doc/8134915/Non-Ferrous-Magnet with all the new minature electronics, I though mabey someone has come up with a small portable. you boys need to get out more. :)
One can do some pretty amazing stuff with electricity. I have a friend that has some quarters he smashed down to the size of a nickle using some big capacitors and a loop of copper wire. There is some stuff on the web about it if you spend enough time IN instead of getting OUT some.

Bad Water Bill
04-27-2011, 02:32 AM
This article was printed in 1950. If it would work efficiently I am sure someone in the last 60 years would have brought it on the market a long time ago.

No mental genius here. Just smart enough to have some COMMON SENSE and be able to read page 38.

How many ranges has anyone been to where you can hook up an extension cord and a high frequency generator to try to pick up SMALL particles of non ferric metals.

If it can attract it should be able to repel. Ask the Navy why thet have not developed a large one of these to launch planes off carriers. Should be a lot safer for the people that work on the flight deck.

Just an old mans opinion.

edsmith
04-27-2011, 02:43 AM
ever hear of the philly expearment? :) it must be true, cause they made movies about it, and we all know every thing we see on tv and in the movies is true. snicker-snicker these non ferrous magnets are used in some scrap yards, trouble is that they take a lot of power, and cost bunches of money. I seen a article or a movie clip 30 or 40 years ago on one being used, it looked like the dc ones that are used for steel and iron.50 years ago a computer that would do what your lap top will do was the size of a house, and had several thousand tubes. just thought that mabey they came up with practical small one.

stubshaft
04-27-2011, 04:44 AM
It uses ALOT of power and could only find an AC application.

http://www.rexresearch.com/mrmagnet/mrmagnet.htm

10x
04-27-2011, 05:53 AM

"field effect" from running an electric current through a wire creates a magnetic field. The wire itself is not magnetized .

field effect
An experimentally observable effect symbolized by F (on reaction rates,
etc.) of intramolecular coulombic interaction between the centre of interest
and a remote unipole or dipole, by direct action through space rather than
through bonds. The magnitude of the field effect (or ‘direct effect’) depends
on the unipolar charge/dipole moment, orientation of dipole, shortest distance
between the centre of interest and the remote unipole or dipole, and
on the effective dielectric constant.
See also electronic effect, inductive effect.

Hickory
04-27-2011, 07:01 AM
I use to have a trained chicken that I would take with me to matches.
Gretta would scratch my brass into a pile for easy pick-up. :razz:

At one match she scratched up some of the guy's brass next to me
he did not like it and shot Gretta.:kidding:

gnoahhh
04-27-2011, 07:44 AM
In our laboratory workshops here at the school I have built replicas of Faraday's spinning coil generator, which is nothing more nor less than a coil of copper wire (500 turns of bell wire around a 12' square wooden frame), spun on it's axis, making/breaking the earth's magnetic field as it spins. Spin it fast enough and enough current to light a teeny light bulb is generated.

Another recent experiment was with a Cavendish Device which can quantify the magnetic attraction (gravitational pull) of a 5 pound lead ball against a .69 caliber (one ounce) lead ball. (A very sensitive device which took 2 days to set up. Vibrations from traffic out in the street kept screwing with us.)

My point (and the one we make with our students) is that the natural laws of the universe were pretty well thought out in the 18th and 19th centuries. It's just taken us 200 years to start to do something with them.

exile
04-27-2011, 08:54 AM
What's a "rare earth magnet"? I should have paid more attention in science class.

exile

theperfessor
04-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Rare earth refers to elements such as Niobium, Columbium, Yttrium, etc. I think the problem with making a brass magnet is the power density required to attract non-ferrous materials. A magnet powerful enough to attract brass would also pull enough current to make portability an issue, and would attract other, more easily magnetizable materials in great quantities.

bobthenailer
04-27-2011, 09:35 AM
HICKORY ! do you have any of Grettas DNA ? perhaps we could clone her !

I have the nut / brass-- wizzerd/ wand . im very satisfied with it !

jcwit
04-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Remember guys, They walk among us.

10x
04-27-2011, 11:37 AM
What's a "rare earth magnet"? I should have paid more attention in science class.

exile

Magnets made of materials that are not iron but alloys of other elements.
These can be much stronger than the regular iron magnets.
BTW: The "rare earths" are not that rare....

Duckiller
04-27-2011, 12:48 PM
We could power this wonderful magnet with cold fusion.

gnoahhh
04-27-2011, 01:18 PM
Ok, now you guys are scaring me!:razz:

Longwood
04-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Magnets made of materials that are not iron but alloys of other elements.
These can be much stronger than the regular iron magnets.
BTW: The "rare earths" are not that rare....
They are very common now and fairly cheap. One use for them we see a lot is in the flap on cell phone pouches.
They are great fun to play with until they bite a blood blister on your finger from snapping together with a tremendous amount of force.

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-27-2011, 01:30 PM
They are very common now and fairly cheap. One use for them we see a lot is in the flap on cell phone pouches.
They are great fun to play with until they bite a blood blister on your finger from snapping together with a tremendous amount of force.

:hijack:

I was wondering . . . does the magnet in the cell phone holster need to be a specific type, or would any type of regular magnet work, or not mess up the phone?

I'm thinking of making my own holster, and thought that a regular magnet might work if it was shielded, but how?

I'd be rather mad at myself if I messed up my new iphone!

MtGun44
04-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Just so the remark does not pass without a comment.

Cold fusion is a real process, check out the work over the last decade or more by
the Naval Research Lab. Not anywhere near a useful technology, but the original
work was sound and the naysayers were totally full of it. The truth took a very
long time to come out, because the big science bozos "knew" that it couldn't be
real, so they stomped all over it and wrongly destroyed the careers of Fleishmann and Pons
in the process.

Bill

theperfessor
04-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Originally "rare earth" referred to these materials because they do not make up a significant portion of the Earth's metallic composition, unlike iron, nickel or aluminum. Products made from these materials are fairly common now days.

The value of rare earth magnets is the ability to have a high density magnetic field in a very small package. I think they were first designed for high fidelity speakers and A-bombs, but I could be wrong.

MtGun44
04-27-2011, 01:47 PM
A VERY brief skimming of the report seems to indicate that they are inducing a current flow
in the copper or aluminum piece to be attacted. This current flow causes a magnetic field
in the piece to be attacted, so it will generate a force towards the electromagnet. It appears
that the electromagnet is made up of two coils, slightly out of phase with one another, so
that they induce a slightly phase shifted flux in the external piece. If the external flux was
in phase, the force created would be repulsion, apparently.

I need to read it again more closely. Basically, it is a trick to induce a magnetic field in the
external piece, not to directly attract the external piece due to it's inherent physical properties
like a normal magnet.

Bill

scrapcan
04-27-2011, 01:51 PM
here you go folks, a link to book reprinted by Lindsay Publications originally published in 1951

http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks2/elmag/index.html

coaldust
04-27-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm thinking a brass magnet is used to find the round balls from the brass monkey that froze this winter

markinalpine
04-27-2011, 02:53 PM
I heard Obama has one to keep his Birth Certificate stuck to the refrigerator in the White House Kitchen.
:kidding:

Mark :bigsmyl2:

fourarmed
04-27-2011, 03:28 PM
A lot of recycling places use an AC magnetic field to separate aluminum cans from the trash stream, but it does it by repelling them, not attracting them. As far as I know, there is no way to make an induced magnetic field that does anything but oppose the inducing field. Look up Lenz's Law.

Longwood
04-27-2011, 03:47 PM
:hijack:

I was wondering . . . does the magnet in the cell phone holster need to be a specific type, or would any type of regular magnet work, or not mess up the phone?

I'm thinking of making my own holster, and thought that a regular magnet might work if it was shielded, but how?

I'd be rather mad at myself if I messed up my new iphone!
I have no idea but I sure do know about how well they can cause the blood blisters.
The best ones can be very small. I don't recall what they are made from but I have some that are about 1/2" by 3/8" that will pick up 8 lbs. I used some fairly big ones 3/4" X 3/4' X 1" on a tee shirt printing turntable to detente the table and they worked great.
Look up Bucky balls on the net and youtube to see something tha make a swell gift and are a lot of fun to play with. They don't bite like the square cornered ones.
Keep them away from small children because if swallowed, they can cause some major damage and even kill by wearing holes in your intestines.

gray wolf
04-27-2011, 06:04 PM
And here I am stuck with my old bend over magnet

the Philly experiment?

If that's the one that made the ships disappear I believe it happened
One of Teslers experiments.

Longwood
04-27-2011, 08:10 PM
I remember a story about it where the author swore that some of the Sailors would suddenly burst into flames several years after the experiment.
I will ask a good friend about it when I see him net time.
Never knew if it was true but I know one Vet that has all sorts of problems from the A bomb experiments he was witness to. Our government has done some really, really stupid things using troops for Guinea pigs. But nothing if you compare the experiments the Jap's did with captured humans and others they did not like for one reason or the other.
That friend of mine that smashed the quarters with electricity is a genius that read all of Tesla's books at a very early age and he has some great stories about making ball lightening when he was 10 thru 12 years old. His mom is still alive (91) and she say's he used to scare the dickens out of her when he did some of the experiments in her house.
One of my favorite stories he tells is about the time he was using a huge diesel powered generator his farther used for power at a carnival that he owned. The thing was in a big 18 wheeler trailer and he had it wound up charging some huge capacitors and when he threw the switch for one of his experiments, the trailer turned onto it's side.
I doubt I will ever have another friend who has his very own electron scanning microscope in his basement.

S.R.Custom
04-28-2011, 12:00 AM
A lot of recycling places use an AC magnetic field to separate aluminum cans from the trash stream, but it does it by repelling them, not attracting them. As far as I know, there is no way to make an induced magnetic field that does anything but oppose the inducing field. Look up Lenz's Law.

Thank you... I was going to mention that myself.

Also, one might look at how an old school (eddy-current) speedometer works. I had one apart working on an old car (30 years ago?), and if I remember correctly, the cup in which the magnet spun was made of copper.

Using the same principle, I suppose one could contrive a brass retrieving machine, but it would be a spinning, whirling contraption much like a lawn mower, only with magnets.

I'm thinking it would probably be simpler to just use a shop vac.

BABore
04-28-2011, 11:52 AM
I just saw a brass magnet advertized in the copy of "Handloader" I got last night. Goggled it up and here it is.

http://www.brassmagnet.com/page1.aspx

It's the nylon net laying on the ground. The one standing behind it appears to be one of those gold and diamond magnets.:mrgreen:

Moonie
04-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Thank you... I was going to mention that myself.

Also, one might look at how an old school (eddy-current) speedometer works. I had one apart working on an old car (30 years ago?), and if I remember correctly, the cup in which the magnet spun was made of copper.

Using the same principle, I suppose one could contrive a brass retrieving machine, but it would be a spinning, whirling contraption much like a lawn mower, only with magnets.

I'm thinking it would probably be simpler to just use a shop vac.

Or a brass catcher...

firefly1957
04-28-2011, 06:31 PM
I think you might it it to pick up brass just after it pulls down alien flying saucers.

You are now in The twilight zone