PDA

View Full Version : consistent alloy

Charlie Two Tracks
04-26-2011, 09:31 PM
I have about 150+ lbs of lead in ingots that I am going to melt down and try to create just one alloy. Most of the ingots are WW but some are Isotope and some range lead. I want to have just one alloy and create others from it. Here is my question. When I have that much lead melted and cast into ingots, is there any problems as the pot gets toward the bottom. Does the alloy change at all from ingots cast at first and the ingots at the bottom of the pot? I know I will have to watch the temperature so I don't waste any tin. But as scum forms do I just leave it on top or keep fluxing it back in, or what. I would really like to have all the ingots the same so I can cast my boolits the same.:-? I hope I half way explained myself and what I am trying to do.... thanks.

Stick_man
04-26-2011, 10:33 PM
My guess would be that once your metals are alloyed, they are alloyed and do not separate. I am no metallurgist, but I believe the term "alloy" means it is pretty much a permanent solution, inseparable. I know the different metals would not separate just due to being in liquid form. The solution would be consistent throughout the molten alloy.

man.electric
04-26-2011, 10:45 PM
The answer to your question is a solid maybe. With consistent heat and constant stirring and and a good flux the alloy should be fairly even. Temp spikes and surface oxidation could throw the mix off, but probably not enough to make a difference in the end outcome. I would say to go for it.

lwknight
04-27-2011, 07:40 AM
The oxidation is actually infinitesimally minimal in the grand scheme if you are reasonable and flux the dross occasionally. It is a homogeneous mix and will be even throughout if it was ever stirred thoroughly.

Tammany42
04-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Are the WW/ isotope lead/range lead ingots all marked?

If so, make each batch from a proportionate number of each type ingot.
Each batch should be the same.

zomby woof
04-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Last year I experimented with alloying my lead. I want to stretch out my WW and I have access to range lead. I was mixing in my melt pot with a 50/50 mixture. I tested the loads and they worked fine. I was worried I wasn't quite 50/50 all the time. This year I mixed a 65 pound batch. Now I know every ingot I put in the ppot is the same. I'm trying to make everything consistent.

I'm learning.

Charlie Two Tracks
04-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks lwknight, that is what I was thinking but not sure of. zomby woof, you did what I am planning on doing. Making all of my base lead consistent. Then I can experiment with a known alloy.

Defcon-One
04-27-2011, 07:17 PM
I smelt my wheel weights in 60 pound batches, pour the lead into rough 3 lb. ingots and mark them all with a batch number (1, 2, 3 etc.).

Once I get 4 or 5 batches done, then I sort them all into new batches that have 15 lbs. from each of the original batches.

Then I melt those again and pour final ingots. If I do my part, all 300 pounds (assuming 5 batches of 60 lbs.) are identical in composition.

I figured this process out so that I could use a 5 quart dutch oven which only holds 60-80 pounds and still get 300 pounds of identical lead alloy. I think it works pretty well, but I have not done any testing to prove it. Logic says that they are all basically the same alloy in the end!