PDA

View Full Version : New Model Blackhawk grips

Phillip
04-26-2011, 07:22 PM
I just picked up a New Model Blackhawk and I just can not stand the grips on it.

Will the older factory wood grips fit on the newer Blackhwaks that have the internal lock or is there an aftermarket wood grip I could get?

9.3X62AL
04-26-2011, 07:31 PM
I put a set of Pachmayr Presentations on my new BH x 30 Carbine, they installed without issues. That (expletives deleted) lock was an ugly surprise, but at least the aftermarket grips cover it completely and allow me to ignore it without strain or conscious thought. If only levergun atrocities of this sort were so easy to ignore.

mroliver77
04-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Like Al I put Pacs on some of mine. I have one with the lock and all the regular BH grips fit it.
Jay

Heavy lead
04-26-2011, 08:34 PM
If you want wood look at Bearpaw grips. I put a set on an anniversary Blackhawk .44. IMO they are perfect, they have the same appearance as blackhawk grips however they are fatter at the top and thinner at the bottom. They fit my hands great, they do not lengthen the grip but are much more handfilling. He makes them for the blackhawk, the new vaquero and the flatop frames and the blackhawk with the lock cutout already in many different woods.
He has an Ebay store, so won't post a link as I know that's taboo. But take a look you might like.

Guesser
04-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Hogue makes some nice wood smooth or checkered stocks for the NMBH. I prefer the checkered Hogues myself, easier to maintain a positive position under recoil. I have never learned to like black "rubber" grips, they are useful, I just don't like them.

ReloaderFred
04-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Altamont makes some beautiful grips for the Blackhawk, and just about any other handgun. Here's the link: http://www.altamontco.com/products/pistol/ruger/blackhawk.php

Hope this helps.

Fred

Phillip
04-26-2011, 11:58 PM
Altamont makes some beautiful grips for the Blackhawk, and just about any other handgun. Here's the link: http://www.altamontco.com/products/pistol/ruger/blackhawk.php

Hope this helps.

Fred

Wow...nice! I like there super rose wood grips...I think I will order me a set....Thanks for the link.

As for pac's, they make my hands sweat and are generally to wide for my small mits. Like the grips on my redhawk, i am in the process of getting the small parts I need to change them over to wood as well.

ReloaderFred
04-27-2011, 12:23 AM
Altamont's quality is first rate, too. If you order them, I think you'll like them. Their checkering doesn't cut the hand like some does, which makes them much more comfortable to shoot.

Fred

Bula
04-28-2011, 02:13 PM
Their prices are right on too...good stuff

Swede44mag
04-28-2011, 02:21 PM
I put Hogue rubber grips on my Vaquero 45 Colt they are a bit bigger than I like but more comfortable than the factory grips.

Phillip
06-20-2011, 10:23 PM
Well I finely ordered my Altamont grips and got them today. I am so glad I got these, they are wider then the stock grips and fit so much better. The price was grate for the quality, 28.00 each pair plus shipping.

Char-Gar
06-21-2011, 11:03 AM
The grips on all Ruger XR3 frames will interchange. The grips on all Ruger XR3-RED will interchange as well. The XR3 and Xr3-RED will not interchange with each other.

bigboredad
06-21-2011, 01:57 PM
those are some good looking grips. I've always preferred wood that fills your hand over rubber

Butler Ford
06-22-2011, 12:36 PM
You can make your own:

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/ButlerFord45/gripright.jpg http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/ButlerFord45/gripl.jpg

GrizzLeeBear
06-23-2011, 09:21 PM
+1 on the Altamont grips. Phillip, looks like you got the same rosewood grips I did for my Blackhawk. They do fill my hand better than the skinny plastic factory grips. If yours are like mine, they look WAY better in real life than even the pictures on their website too.

Phillip
06-23-2011, 10:03 PM
+1 on the Altamont grips. Phillip, looks like you got the same rosewood grips I did for my Blackhawk. They do fill my hand better than the skinny plastic factory grips. If yours are like mine, they look WAY better in real life than even the pictures on their website too.

Yea, they are the plain rosewood grips on both. The stock plastic Blackhawk grips have to the worst grips I have ever encountered. Now I have small mits, and they were even to thin for me to get a good grip. With Altamont grips being wider then the stock ones, I have allot better grip now and my hands don't hurt from the knife checkering that the old ones had.

As for the Redhawk, it cam with a Huge rubber grip that was too big for my hand. They also made my hands sweat after a few rounds. So I swapped them out and I am now much happier now with it.

They do look nicer then the pictures make them look and they make my guns look nicer then Ruger's did.

Butler, nice home made grips! What wood did you use to make them?

canyon-ghost
06-23-2011, 10:40 PM
You can make your own:

That's a business nowdays that makes some serious money. If you can make your own, you can make money by selling them. But, not a bad thought, good looking grips there. Birdseye Maple? Sure looks sweet.

Ron

skeet1
06-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Butler Ford,
Very nicely made! How much effort are they to shape?

Ken

Butler Ford
06-25-2011, 12:10 AM
Thanks, yes birdseye maple and boiled linseed oil finish. I don't know where it is anymore but a few years ago someone had the instructions for making your own grips on the SASS WIRE that made it really simple. I'll see if I can find it again or if it still exists.