PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 3rd on sale

NuJudge
04-26-2011, 05:04 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=796528&cm_cat=Clearance&cm_ite=Product2&cm_lm=sp:judgedingell@yahoo.com&cm_ven=Spop-Email&cm_pla=Clearance_426201116_1&CustNum=100074784

Dated, but good reference for those that don't have a copy.

Larry Gibson
04-26-2011, 05:43 PM
That is a good source of information and makes a good reference to any serious bullet casters library. The data section is #4 is updated and has a couple more cartridges but the information section up front is better in the #3 than in the #4.

Larry Gibson

runfiverun
04-26-2011, 07:11 PM
i'd rather have the #3.

stubert
04-26-2011, 07:56 PM
I was a little disappointed in the #4 after all the hype that preceded it. Still, a good book for the new loads and molds used, but more info. in the #3. Were all gonna buy both anyway, right?

williamwaco
04-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Volume 3 contains a lot of gun and bullet development history that I found fascinating.

canyon-ghost
04-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Bravo! Cast Bullet Handbook #3 taught me to cast my own, ten years back. It's the best!

Ron

10x
04-27-2011, 11:03 PM
I have four different lyman cast bullet handbooks. There is unique valuable information and load data in every one that is not in the others. There is also some interesting but probably benign information in the first one as well.
Cornell publications has reprints of the old lyman manuals as well including an enlarged copy of the first edition.
w.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/item_desc.php?item_id=1532

My original first edition was missing the first and last several pages so I had no idea of what manual it was until I got the reprint. I also purchased my second 3rd edition manual as it has been opened so much that it is falling apart and pages fall out of it.
The past various lyman manuals are the best there are.

DakotaElkSlayer
04-27-2011, 11:14 PM
How valuable is this book for the beginner? I have printed out "From Ingot to Target", have the Lyman 48th Reloading Manual, and am a member here... Should I buy the book, or buy a 20lbs. ingot of WW lead?

Jim

10x
04-27-2011, 11:29 PM
How valuable is this book for the beginner? I have printed out "From Ingot to Target", have the Lyman 48th Reloading Manual, and am a member here... Should I buy the book, or buy a 20lbs. ingot of WW lead?

Jim

Every manual and book on casting will have information that will contribute to your knowledge. Some will save you from making mistakes, others will give you easier ways to get a better bullet and reduce mistakes.
I lent my first edition Lyman Cast bullet handbook to a fellow who has been casting for four years. His comment was "I wish I could have read that four years ago". Even then the book put the information into a context that he could use to cast a better bullet.
There is a point where you understand the basics and start casting. Inspect your cast bullets and then use the manuals to find out why they are not perfect (wrinkles, dimples, flashing, rounded edges that should be sharp) and use the manuals to get a better cast bullet.

I started with a gas check mold - I had no idea of what a gas check was - I got leading and a hot lead spray out of my 30-30 with 27 grains of 3031. The purchase of a lee pan lube system and 1000 gas checks cured that problem. Groups went from pie plate at 25 yards to one silver dollar sized hole for 20 shots at fifty yards. Then I got my first flyer - back to the manual and started weighing each bullet to sort out those with an internal void. For a few years I would roll them on a sheet of glass and then put an index mark on the top side when they stopped. roll them again and see if the stopped with the index mark up. This was a waste of time but it seemed like a good idea to find bullets with off center voids in them. I still got the odd flyer.

SlimTim
06-25-2011, 11:18 PM
After deciding I needed this Lyman handbook, I set about looking for a deal on it. The usual sources (Amazon, MidwayUSA) had reviews by owners of the book, so I delved into them as the ratings seemed less than stellar for the 4th edition. Once I'd read several of the reviews and this thread, I determined I should purchase the 3rd edition.

Both Midway and Lyman's website listed the 3rd edition but when clicking on it, a box popped up stating it was discontinued. Copies on the used book sites seemed a bit expensive, so I checked out epay as a last resort. Found a guy with 20 copies of the 3rd edition, new in wrap for 22 clams delivered each.

Should I? (I did.) 19 left if anyone else would rather have the 3rd edition.

SlimTim

TCFAN
06-25-2011, 11:40 PM
Tim
Last week I bought one for $5.79 from Midway on close out. Don't know if they have any more left............Terry

adrians
06-26-2011, 09:42 AM
its been on my bench for a while now .
i didn,t buy no4 cos no3 will surfice.:twisted::coffee::evil:

milprileb
06-26-2011, 10:06 AM
I will buy it. I got the others and when you need a reference, its money well spent.

For Lyman molds not in production and loads for them, its a blessing.

SlimTim
06-26-2011, 10:16 AM
Tim
Last week I bought one for $5.79 from Midway on close out. Don't know if they have any more left............Terry

None left sadly, now that would have been a DEAL! google had a link to the Midway listing, but it wouldn't add it to my cart, saying it was discontinued.

SlimTim

06-26-2011, 07:57 PM
10X,
Thanks for the Cornell link!

10x
06-27-2011, 09:01 AM
10X,
Thanks for the Cornell link!

You are very welcome.
The old manuals are wonderful resources...